Dual headlight mod in six hours! (New world record?)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Greg - I am pretty sure we bought the standard one. It was $7.95 or so. They had bulbs up to $19.95 and $24.95 But I wasn't about to spend that much.

All told I spent about $70.00. Two relays, two bulb plugs, spool of wire, one H4 bulb, a couple of other electrical things, an orange soda and a bag of sour apple candies. I think the sour apple candies are the key to the whole project. If Fred was getting tired he ate a candy and the sourness snapped him back to reality.

Fred has the bill of materials for the project. We shopped at Fry's and O'Riley's. He can list the specifics.

It went like this, "You need this, and this, and this, and this." "Okay."

One really cool thing is he let me use his lathe (sp?) to make a Delron spacer for the new H4 bulb. That was cool. I watched him make the parts for the R6 Fork project but I got to use the machine for this project with his coaching. It was really fun. He did have to hit me over the head on a few safety issues. You don't know what you don't know.

I'm sure he'll post the photos and details soon. We actually forgot to take photos until we were putting the fairing liner back in. Oops! But I think we have enough so you'll get the idea. If not I'll take the liner off next weekend, 10 days from now, and take some snaps. It looks totally OEM.

Last edited:

jamesmorgan

Reaction score
Visit site
Pete (Hellgate) and I did the true dual headlight mod on his bike. Two high beams, two low beams, the way the bike should have been from the factory.

This involved modifying an H4 bulb to fit the H7 socket on the left side, making Biker Dude's headlight mod connector and wire, and building a new harness off of it to run both headlights through relays. Made a bracket for the relays, turned a spacer for the modified bulb. All connections are soldered and heat shrunk. All wiring runs are covered in Flexo conduit.

We started at 6:00 and went until midnight.

Pictures and details coming later. I'm tired and I smell like the wrong end of a yak. Need shower...

I'm impressed. With my 8 min version you only get one high beam not two - but then again I only ride in city traffic and only ever use the high beam to flash people for whatever reason (unlike some people here who seem to like to argue that its perfectly OK to ride around with your high beam on all the time!! No I cant believe it either).

But if you're riding out in the sticks as we say here - a full full high beam would be nice (for when there is no on-coming traffic or traffic in front of you). Well done on your hard work and yes take a shower. :)

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Greg - I am pretty sure we bought the standard one. It was $7.95 or so. They had bulbs up to $19.95 and $24.95 But I wasn't about to spend that much.

All told I spent about $70.00. Two relays, two bulb plugs, spool of wire, one H4 bulb, a couple of other electrical things, an orange soda and a bag of sour apple candies. I think the sour apple candies are the key to the whole project. If Fred was getting tired he ate a candy and the sourness snapped him back to reality.

Fred has the bill of materials for the project. We shopped at Fry's and O'Riley's. He can list the specifics.

It went like this, "You need this, and this, and this, and this." "Okay."

One really cool thing is he let me use his lathe (sp?) to make a Delron spacer for the new H4 bulb. That was cool. I watched him make the parts for the R6 Fork project but I got to use the machine for this project with his coaching. It was really fun. He did have to hit me over the head on a few safety issues. You don't know what you don't know.

I'm sure he'll post the photos and details soon. We actually forgot to take photos until we were putting the fairing liner back in. Oops! But I think we have enough so you'll get the idea. If not I'll take the liner off next weekend, 10 days from now, and take some snaps. It looks totally OEM.

Is there a real noticeable difference with both high beams compared to just one?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a real noticeable difference with both high beams compared to just one?

There is, with both high and low there is a wider coverage and much more light. When I rode home on was on a well lit interstate so it wasn't that big of a difference. Now when I got in my neighborhood, with less light, I could really tell a difference.

Now that I have two low beams always on I don't see using the high beam that much.

The dual lows are GREAT! I can see! I can see!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

Oh... you KNEW it was coming soon after promising them for us! ;)

Great job guys! Maybe you two should start an FZ6 modding business and we can start driving out there, one at a time! :rockon:

Ants aren't that bad... better coated in chocolate though! :eek: :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:needpics:

Oh... you KNEW it was coming soon after promising them for us! ;)

Great job guys! Maybe you two should start an FZ6 modding business and we can start driving out there, one at a time! :rockon:

Ants aren't that bad... better coated in chocolate though! :eek: :D

The photos are all on Fred's camera. I think he leaving to go see NIN in Dallas this weekend. I leave to Seattle tomorrow for some vacation, sooooo the photos will have to wait a bit longer.

It does look totally OEM. Very cool. :cheer:

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The photos are all on Fred's camera. I think he leaving to go see NIN in Dallas this weekend. I leave to Seattle tomorrow for some vacation, sooooo the photos will have to wait a bit longer.

It does look totally OEM. Very cool. :cheer:

Have fun in seattle Pete.

Fred are you riding the bike up here to Dallas?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
No, I just haven't had a chance to post a writeup.

Plus, we only took two good pictures. We pulled out the camera at the very end when we were both very tired.

I promise I'll think about getting around to it sometime soon.

Fred

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I told my hubby about it.. he said get me the instructions and we will do it :)

Thanks,

Deb