Dual Headlight Mod...HELP!!!

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
take off the dual headlight mod and see if the problem still occurs. If you've put the airbox and hoses back on correctly then maybe its the headlight mod.

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
Tweak89, what would so randomly cause this to be needed? Just from removing the airbox and reinstalling it? It seems like the problem should have been a result of the initial process. I just can't seem to figure what the heck went wrong! Thanks for the suggestion though.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Tweak89, what would so randomly cause this to be needed? Just from removing the airbox and reinstalling it? It seems like the problem should have been a result of the initial process. I just can't seem to figure what the heck went wrong! Thanks for the suggestion though.

I only suggest this because it happened to one of my bikes seemingly overnight. Bike drove fine one day, then a few days later it was running rough and feeling the way you described it.

Made a manometer to check/sync and discovered that I indeed had to sync.

Might be a coincidence that you did the headlight mod. Might want to do what the other poster suggested too and remove the mod and see what happens.

If it still runs rough then check and see if the throttle bodies are out of sync.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One other suggestion....Disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes...Give it 5 minutes. Reconnect the battery. Take the bike for a ride and see if the sputter went away...It won't be the first time nor the last a computer learned a bad habit from some form of glitch...
I was messing with and looking at the readings and codes on my bikes computer and in the interim I must have bumped something in the wrong direction. The bike burped and pissed and groaned. Then quit ,wouldn't run and would only crank. Fixed it with a reset...Try it!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd pull off the air box from the injectors and check under there. When re-installing, put just a little bit of grease/oil inside the rubber boots, the air box will slide on much easier (you'll feel it pop on the injectors). Make sure ALL hoses (check the box before you installl) are re-connected to the box once installed...

Any connector you disconected for the mod, I'd take apart and check the pin's inside. Make sure NONE got bent and are fully seated...

Make sure when putting the gas tank back down the black vent line(attached to the inside of the tank) is NOT pinched.

I also disconnected the battery prior to any work, so the computer also re-set itself..

I did the mod to my 07 and didn't have any problems...

Scott

Last edited:

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I went through everything yesterday. I pulled everything apart and put it all back together again making sure everything was tightened and all hoses connected properly. I also left the battery unplugged while I did all of this. Started it up and let it get warmed up but then realized I still had the chain attached to my back tire. I turned the bike off, took the chain off, then fired the bike back up. It would quickly idle terribly and the die. I tried this 3 or 4 times and then gave up. A few minutes later I tried again and it started up normally. Took the bike for a spin but still had the same sputtering problem, although (maybe my imagination) it didn't seem as bad as before. The sputtering went away after a few seconds and only came back when I was accelerating from a stop.
I checked the TPS and it was 16 at idle and 101 at full throttle.
At this point I may be stuck going to get the bike serviced by a professional because I am just out of ideas. Everything seems like it should be normal. I don't know if I mentioned it in my original post but I didn't ride the bike for several weeks before doing all of this, maybe something happened before then?
Also, when fully warmed up my idle is only between 900-1050. I've heard that it should be closer to 1200 right? Maybe the bike just needs a "tune up".
Thanks everyone for the help.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The green plug is a temperature sensor. It will wiggle since it's just pushed into the airbox through a rubber grommet.

At this point, you should take it to a dealership unless somebody local can take a look at for you. No offense intended, but I think you're out of your depth.

Give the mechanic all the info you can. Write down what you did, what you removed, and then let him go back in and check your work.

Ask him if he can show you what the problem is once he finds it.

It's embarrassing to take the bike in and say,"I broke it." but it's the price you pay for learning. Been there, done that.

Fred

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
No offense taken. Most of these "simple" type jobs I can easily take care of myself. But once I start getting into a "it could be this, it could be that" scenario with something I'm not familiar with I'm toast. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, now I have to wait until Tuesday since all local dealerships are closed Sunday/Monday...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I went through everything yesterday. I pulled everything apart and put it all back together again making sure everything was tightened and all hoses connected properly. I also left the battery unplugged while I did all of this. Started it up and let it get warmed up but then realized I still had the chain attached to my back tire. I turned the bike off, took the chain off, then fired the bike back up. It would quickly idle terribly and the die. I tried this 3 or 4 times and then gave up. A few minutes later I tried again and it started up normally. Took the bike for a spin but still had the same sputtering problem, although (maybe my imagination) it didn't seem as bad as before. The sputtering went away after a few seconds and only came back when I was accelerating from a stop.
I checked the TPS and it was 16 at idle and 101 at full throttle.
At this point I may be stuck going to get the bike serviced by a professional because I am just out of ideas. Everything seems like it should be normal. I don't know if I mentioned it in my original post but I didn't ride the bike for several weeks before doing all of this, maybe something happened before then?
Also, when fully warmed up my idle is only between 900-1050. I've heard that it should be closer to 1200 right? Maybe the bike just needs a "tune up".
Thanks everyone for the help.

When checking the TPS did you check to make sure all the numbers inbetween were there and didn't skip or miss any? This applys for both opening and closing the throttle....

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if I mentioned it in my original post but I didn't ride the bike for several weeks before doing all of this, maybe something happened before then?

Biggest piece of info and you left it out!! If you didn't put any fuel stabilizer then your fuel system may be gunked up somewhere (likely the injectors).

If you haven't entirely given up, drain the tank and put some fresh gas and some injector cleaner and run through the new tank of gas. If it still persists, take it on in and have it checked out.

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, no I didn't put anything in there. What's the easiest way to drain the tank (I have an almost full tank right now)? Is it as easy as just putting a siphon down the gas cap opening? I will definitely give the cleaning a try, easy enough. Thanks for the tip!

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, no I didn't put anything in there. What's the easiest way to drain the tank (I have an almost full tank right now)? Is it as easy as just putting a siphon down the gas cap opening? I will definitely give the cleaning a try, easy enough. Thanks for the tip!

If you've got a siphon that is probably the easiest way. As long as you get almost all the old fuel out of there.

Next time you let the bike sit that long adding some stabilizer will help keep the fuel from breaking down and mucking things up.

I've had this happen to me a few times over the years. You go a week without riding, then things come up and next thing you know its been 3 weeks...you finally get time for a ride and discover your bike is either running rough or not wanting to run at all.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Carbs are affected the most, much more than injectors, but yes, gas breaks down quickly, especially with ethenol and will clog up jets/injectors.... Chevron "Techtron" as well as "Seafoam" both work really good...

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, no luck with the gas being the problem. Just drained the tank completely put in the Techtron Fuel System Cleaner with fresh gas. Let it run for a few minutes then tested it out with the exact same results. Off to the dealership I suppose...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, no luck with the gas being the problem. Just drained the tank completely put in the Techtron Fuel System Cleaner with fresh gas. Let it run for a few minutes then tested it out with the exact same results. Off to the dealership I suppose...

You need to run it some, at least a tank full for it to work (if that's the problem)....

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
No offense taken. Most of these "simple" type jobs I can easily take care of myself. But once I start getting into a "it could be this, it could be that" scenario with something I'm not familiar with I'm toast. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, now I have to wait until Tuesday since all local dealerships are closed Sunday/Monday...

Where are you in California? In the Los Angeles area? If so I could take a look at it.

element192

Reaction score
Visit site
This may sound stupid but what about the fuel filter? No one has mentioned that, but could that be a problem? I'll try riding it around some to get the cleaner running through it.

Cali rider: thanks a bunch for the offer but no I'm up in the SF Bay Area... I appreciate that though.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This may sound stupid but what about the fuel filter? No one has mentioned that, but could that be a problem? I'll try riding it around some to get the cleaner running through it.

Cali rider: thanks a bunch for the offer but no I'm up in the SF Bay Area... I appreciate that though.

The fuel filter is in the gas tank and is esentially a screen attached to the pump. Unless the tank is rusty inside, it's probably ok.

Should you wish to clean it, the tank must be removed, emptied, flipped upside down and the fuel pump removed. Its tricky removing the pump until you do one, its two pieces with a clip that holds it togther..... (the first time is a PIA)

Should the filter be clogged with varnish, the techtron should take care of it. If the tanks rusty inside, thats a new problem altogether..

As stated earlier, give the techtron some time. You may also have some water, from condensation gathered up in there you need to run thru.... I know you siphoned the gas out but a few drops could remain (water is heavier than gas) in the tank...

Scott