Drilling the stock exhaust - quick poll...

jamesmorgan

Reaction score
Visit site
OK - so after my 8 mins headlight Mod I am thinking of an 8 minute exhaust mod - like getting a 1/2 inch drill bit and drilling two holes in the exhaust (and I wont get in to any arguments about whether I should have soldered the whole thing up this time).

Whats the general feeling on this one? Reading the old threads it seems people are pretty split down the middle on this one............ but its about £400 and 3 hours cheaper/quicker than the obvious alternative.

Thoughts?

Tebster _ fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I wouldnt bother, it would probably make it louder but cant see that there would be any performance gains, and once done if too loud theres nothing that you can do to make it quieter again as the outlets are too small for db killers.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i might try this, but i am going to start with a small hole and then stop drilling when i get to the volume that i want, one big hole is scary

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I was an engineer in a former life. And as is the way with engineers, I'm a bit of a belt & braces bloke (others would say a bit anal). The way I would go about it, would be to buy a scrap exhaust of e-bay - there's plenty about for not too much money - the as Reio suggests start small & work your way up in size. If you completely stuff it up. put the old exhaust back on.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ultimately it is you decision and I suppose it depends why you want to drill the holes. Personally I like the look of the stock one but it does sound a bit refined.

As another former engineer (can you be a former engineer :D) I agree with pedwards89, but you could just try it and if you make a mess buy a second hand or a aftermarket one later.

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
I did that in the past. In the beggining I liked a lot but a few months later I felt forced to have a decent exhaust...

Think well about you are about to do because there's no way back.
If you don't like it or get bored of it, then you are screwed!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be inclined to do it but rather different. I'd like to open the can and redesign the innards for a quicker flow then increase the diameter of the two exhaust ports. But, I'd only do this is I had another one to put back to stock, or, full funding to just go get the new titanium Scorpions with the cool cones!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the Aussie's here (Wolfman) has had a "de-baffle" done, cost a couple of hundred, but sounds pretty good. From what I saw, they removed the small outlet pipe and attached baffle, and also drilled small holes in the plate inside the can.

You can see the small holes in some of the photo's he took.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/australia/606-ha-chillin-my-mates-5.html

Sounds much better than the stock can, but I think he's going to get some Two Bro's now.

Hope that helps.

:)

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Istarted with 2 hole in either side 7/16, then 2 then 3 then 4 then 3/8, and thats where i stopped, 4 3/8 holes in either side. Its not a after market exhaust but it sure isnt standard, i would like a after market but am doing with what ive got for now, and am not dissappointed with what i did, but did start small and worked my way up. theres photos of mine on here somewhere.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Used a 3/4" x 12" mason bit and drilled out both sides. It doesn't make a huge difference but it's certainly an improvement over stock IMO. No effect on mileage or power that I've noticed.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK - so after my 8 mins headlight Mod I am thinking of an 8 minute exhaust mod - like getting a 1/2 inch drill bit and drilling two holes in the exhaust (and I wont get in to any arguments about whether I should have soldered the whole thing up this time).

Whats the general feeling on this one? Reading the old threads it seems people are pretty split down the middle on this one............ but its about £400 and 3 hours cheaper/quicker than the obvious alternative.

Thoughts?
Speaking with complete frankness and honesty.
I did the mod last week. I am not unhappy with it but I would not recommend it for a few reasons.
It was near to impossible to get the required bit where I live, you need 12" length.
I had to use an extension bit which caused its own problems.
2 X holes makes very little difference.
The exhaust note is only slightly deeper at idling speeds.
I have a K&N filter fitted and it produces more noise than the exhaust at road speeds.
I have managed to drill the holes out to about 15mm. For any decent change I reckon you need to go as wide as possible.

There is no performance gain to note. I am looking for a pointed 20mm dremel bit and will go the whole hog and make the holes as big as possible.

Nelly

Nelly

Last edited:

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
I just drilled out one side when the drill bit died:eek:
So I took it for a ride and I liked it and never drilled out the other side:D
It's deeper at idle and when I'm on the road I'm not going to hear it any way;)

Premises187

Inquisitor
Reaction score
Visit site
I just drilled out one side when the drill bit died:eek:
So I took it for a ride and I liked it and never drilled out the other side:D
It's deeper at idle and when I'm on the road I'm not going to hear it any way;)

What side & size did you drill mate?
Also did you use a regular drill piece or a hole drill?

The exhaust is 9.5 inches deeps
Also it's just less than an inch wide

I've ordered a 22mm step drill bit
521t.jpg

Also 300mm drill extension bar
948809297442.png

Thnx

Last edited:

pascal1973

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a spare exhaust, debaffled. Took everything out, welded 2 bigger exhaust pipes on to the muffler too. Sound is a lot louder and deeper, but not annoying at highway speeds. For sale, if you are interested, pm me.