Downshifting problems

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2008 with 14000 miles on her, and I am noticing some problems when downshifting. The shifter feels like it is "bottoming" out, for a lack of better words. It happens when going from 4th into 3rd (sometimes) and 3rd into 2nd and first, pretty much all the time now. I noticed it a few months ago but it didn't happen again, but now it is pretty much every time. If I tweak the shifter with my foot, like kick the side of it, it engages the next try but the issue keeps repeating.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Is there a cam in there that may be wearing out?

Upshifting is fine.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have a 2008 with 14000 miles on her, and I am noticing some problems when downshifting. The shifter feels like it is "bottoming" out, for a lack of better words. It happens when going from 4th into 3rd (sometimes) and 3rd into 2nd and first, pretty much all the time now. I noticed it a few months ago but it didn't happen again, but now it is pretty much every time. If I tweak the shifter with my foot, like kick the side of it, it engages the next try but the issue keeps repeating.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Is there a cam in there that may be wearing out?

Upshifting is fine.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Try lubricating the shift linkage(s). All the pivots, and where the shift shaft enters the transmission housing.

Paulmcmoto

Reaction score
Visit site
When you down shift, are you letting the gear lever return fully to the middle position? I have noticed on my FZ6 that sometimes when I down shift, I rest my boot on the shift lever which stops it from going back to the mid point. When this happens, if I try to down shift to the next lower gear, the lever moves downwards but nothing happens. Once I realize what's happened, I take my foot completely off the lever and let the lever return all the way back and then it will down shift normally. Just a thought.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
When you down shift, are you letting the gear lever return fully to the middle position? I have noticed on my FZ6 that sometimes when I down shift, I rest my boot on the shift lever which stops it from going back to the mid point. When this happens, if I try to down shift to the next lower gear, the lever moves downwards but nothing happens. Once I realize what's happened, I take my foot completely off the lever and let the lever return all the way back and then it will down shift normally. Just a thought.

Yeah, I'm doing everything as normal, there is just something awry in there.

rchamberlain

Reaction score
www.rogerchamberlain.com
I had the same problem. Lubricating all of the points on the linkage completely solved the problem. Now it shifts like new. It allows the linkage to center itself. Lubricating the shift linkage is just part of my regular maintenance now.

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem. Lubricating all of the points on the linkage completely solved the problem. Now it shifts like new. It allows the linkage to center itself. Lubricating the shift linkage is just part of my regular maintenance now.

What do you lubricate it with?

Anyone got pics of where to exactly lubricate?

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
The quirk with my '08 FZ6 is to downshift and in finding 1st the machine likes to feel that rear wheel moving for setting the clutch. Getting use to the machine was sorta un-nerving at a stop light/intersection initially. Now it's no big deal, but I need to acknowledge this quirk. Sometimes I must rock the bike back and forth to set the clutch.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The quirk with my '08 FZ6 is to downshift and in finding 1st the machine likes to feel that rear wheel moving for setting the clutch. Getting use to the machine was sorta un-nerving at a stop light/intersection initially. Now it's no big deal, but I need to acknowledge this quirk. Sometimes I must rock the bike back and forth to set the clutch.

For your initial downshifting, are you downshifting as you slow OR all at once once you stop?? Its better to downshift as you slow, one gear at a time, as your speed slows...

If fully stopped, let the clutch out a little at a stop and pull it back in, it gets the gears moving just a little and makes shifting at a stop, easier. Its not unusual on most bikes...

I usually shift to neutral or first before I come to a full stop (5 mph maybe) and downshift thru the gears, one at a time as I slow...

Last edited:

Jadon01

Reaction score
Visit site
Exact same issue occurred with mine yesterday. I have had 2 years with no issues. Then coming back down the mountains..I couldn't downshift. Felt like it was "bottoming out"...

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just had this problem, or similar in any case. Never had issues before but just before arriving home on Tuesday after a 40 min motorway cruise home from work, I couldn't shift it into 1st gear. It made a horrible grating like sound. Ended up having to pull away in 2nd. Downshifting to all other gears was fine though, just not 1st.

So today I adjusted the chain as it was a little slack, as this can have an effect on shifting. It didn't solve it (but at least that was an overdue job done!). So I then moved onto the shifting mechanism. After scratching my head for a few minutes I realised that the long bar connecting the shifter to the transmission appeared not to be pushing far enough. It's easy to adjust so did that (it also changes the position of the shifter too). Just undo the locking nuts, turn the bar, re-tighten the locking nuts and hey presto! Problem solved. Gave everything a good lube whilst at it.

So give it a try. Adjust slowly little by little until you find something that works. Might be worth marking the original position before you try in case you need to revert back later.

Another thing I'll be doing is changing the oil as this too can have an effect on shifting as it's the same oil lubricating the engine and the clutch.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something else to check, if the shifter is adjusted too low, it (the shifter itself) will physically hit the bracket it mounts to and limit the DOWNSHIFT TRAVEL...

Should this be the problem, the shaft between shifter lever and the lever at the engine needs to be shortened up(re-adjusted). There's two locking nuts, one on each end of the shaft, one is reverse thread...

As for lubing, I believe their lubing ANY/ALL heim joints, especially under a rubber cover. Making sure the "shifter shaft" the shifter mounts to is clean and lubricated would help too...

Last edited:

Sparty76

Reaction score
Visit site
Try lubricating the shift linkage(s). All the pivots, and where the shift shaft enters the transmission housing.
Thanks so much for this tip! I had the downshift problem while riding today, wouldn't shift down south of 5th. I found this thread, stopped by a friends house, shot so triflow lube on it, and it instantly started shifting like new!
This is so much better than the alternative of replacing the clutch cable or having too you diagnose transmission like I was going to do.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
What type of lube was used for these parts also. I am have the downshifting into 3rd and 4th gear issue.

I typically use a spray form of white lithium grease for linkages. We've got a can floating around the house from Honda. It seemed to do well enough on the Yamaha.

I'll probably go over the Ninja soon and do the same.

jimbo92107

Reaction score
Visit site

Chamberlain, you're a saint. I had the same problem, sticking when trying to downshift my 2008 fz6. Seemed to happen more after it heats up. My friends and I thought I was going to have to take apart the whole gear box, maybe replace the slip clutch pack, we didn't know.

Fortunately, another buddy found this thread and sent me a link. After reading this thread, I sprayed lithium grease in the linkage, especially where it enters the engine housing. A bit messy, but I cleaned up the excess with a rag. Lithium grease spray is available various places (like Home Depot) for about $5 bucks.

Rode the bike for several days now, the problem seems to be completely gone. No more sticking, just smooth shifting, like clicking a brand new ball point pen.

From now on I shall lube that linkage every time I do the chain. A little shot of lithium saved my bike.

Thanks!
Jimbo

Last edited: