Don't have riding gear?

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
If not, you're not enjoying the sport to it's fullest.

As a novice rider, all I've ever owned for riding was a $100 helmet. I'd never been able to let go of the extra dough for any quality riding gear.

For the first time I broke down and spent some real money on a "real" helmet and riding jacket.

WHAT a difference! A lighter helmet that breathes is absolutely worth the extra $$$! I don't sweat near as much in it, and the fatigue from the extra weight of the old one is GONE! Not to mention the added protection of course. :rockon:

I'd never owned a jacket in my three years of riding. I immediately feel more comfortable riding with it on. Less wind, less trash slapping me in the chest and arms... why didn't I do this sooner?!?

There are so many choices out there for your style of riding and conditions, it just doesn't make sense not to gear up.

The cash spent will be rewarded with a a better, safer, more enjoyable ride. ;)

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Congrats on your purchase and decision. I personally feel that it's extremely important to gear up properly prior to riding. To me, spending a couple of minutes gearing up is better than spending a lot of $$$, time, and pain should you go down and get hurt where gear could have helped.

At this point, my gear consists of: helmet (of course), riding gloves, Joe Rocket mesh jacket with padding, heavier leather riding jacket for the upcoming cooler weather, and steel-toed boots. My next purchase will most likely be the riding pants. After hearing of all of the knee injuries that could have been avoided, I think that they will be a good investment for me.

X

pjstud1v

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, gear is always a wise investment. I'm not 100% happy with the gear I got when I bought my bike, but I didn't buy anything that I thought would not hold up in a crash. I plan to buy a few more items like riding pants and a leather jacket over the winter. I'm more concerned with finding good gear that fits well and is comfortable than saving cash.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
If gear were cheaper, my closet would be full of it. I love wearing my gear all the time. I feel safer every time I wear it. I've taken insects to the face shield and wonder how guys with skullcaps like it when that **** hits them in the face at riding speed. I get crap flung to the chest... I mean that's gotta sting if you're not wearing anything..

Sqrly

Reaction score
Visit site
Good going on the gear! :thumbup: I wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots. I'll be getting a new pair of pants soon. Old ones are shot! Gear brings security to me when I ride. Which makes it all that much more enjoyable. Good thread dude.:thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Good on you! It makes you feel safer which will help you focus more on riding than saving your skin! I wear jeans to work, but anywhere else I wear the leathers:
1. Helmet: Sparx Retro Corsa
2. Alpinestars TZ-1 Jacket
3. Alpinestars Bat pants (full circumference zip to TZ-1 jacket for suit)
4. Sidi Vertebra Race boots
5. First gear mesh/leather gloves (upgrade coming soon for cold weather)

When you feel safe in your gear, you feel comfortable hitting the canyons and not worrying about your body. Now just gotta spend for the full insurance on the bike in case of a slip in sand!

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike I did not ride until I got my gear. It was sitting up there waiting for me like for a week. When I finally got all I ordered on the mail, could enjoyed as was meant to, and it really was worth it. I can not go a block riding without my helmet, jacket, and gloves.

kamao

Reaction score
Visit site
Good gear makes a world of difference, especially if it fits well! I just got a new 'winter' jacket to battle some UK weather and I can't believe the change (my old jacket was way too big). Good job on gearing up :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one mate,

Enjoy your new found freedom, when I was a bit short on cash I have purchased used gear from friends. Motorcycle gear is purpose made, and as you state there are loads of cheaper alternatives available.

Nelly

W

wrightme43

gear rocks man.
I mean no body goes scuba diving with out the stuff
Mountian climbing with no ropes?
How about welding without a shield?
Its just a good part of it.

We have lots of good choices now.

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I really just wanted to raise a brow to all those who mite read this thread who are still runnin around with a cheap helmet and cotton T-shirt.

GET THE GEAR! I promise you won't regret it!

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All my friends think that im crazy for spending about a grand on gear but its worth it to me if i can go out and ride without being scared plus i would rather sweat then bleed.

I would never roll out on a mission without my body armour and my rifle so why would i ride with no gear?!?

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion:
First - buy gear, then - spend rest on bike.

I dont save money when buying moto clobber, and for that i get a right grif from the missus - "Nice helmet, how much" - "600 quid" - "What!?You must be jokin!"

My set at the mo:
Arai RX-7 Pedrosa
Icon Tex jacket with all protectors
CK Jeans (I know...)
Dainese Knee V Knee Pads
Sidi Vertigo Corsa

So, good thinkin on gettin a right gear. This winter, i'll treat myself with a proper Arlen/Berik or Dainese 2PC suit

Keep the faith,ride safe

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The gear is just as important to looking cool as the bike is. Plus the more gear you wear the more the ladies/men can fantasize about us. Then we can quickly end those fantasizes when we take our gear off.

WeWonItThreeTimes

Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion:
First - buy gear, then - spend rest on bike.

I dont save money when buying moto clobber, and for that i get a right grif from the missus - \"Nice helmet, how much\" - \"600 quid\" - \"What!?You must be jokin!\"

My set at the mo:
Arai RX-7 Pedrosa
Icon Tex jacket with all protectors
CK Jeans (I know...)
Dainese Knee V Knee Pads
Sidi Vertigo Corsa

So, good thinkin on gettin a right gear. This winter, i'll treat myself with a proper Arlen/Berik or Dainese 2PC suit

Keep the faith,ride safe

Ah, just treated myself with lovely Dainese D-Dry IKE trousers. Safe and, whats most important, warm. Its only 7 degree celcius today. Now, anyone wants to buy Dainese Knee V knee pads? ;)

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This reminds me... I need some boots and pants.
Any suggestions?

Check out this thread for pants:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/7807-motorcycle-pants-advice-what-should-i-look.html

Thankfully the on-line stores have good return policies. I was able to order several styles and sizes, try them all on and return all but the best fitting. For me the best fit was the Joe Rocket Alter Ego Textile Pants.

Sorry, no boot suggestions. I got a pair of Sidi. Those I picked up at my local shop. They are a bit expensive, but have a lot more stability and protection than the Keen boots I was wearing.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now go get some riding pants.

I have managed to wear my mesh textile riding pants thru the summer. It's finally cooling off here in the desert. It's probably perfect riding conditions right at the moment here in Vegas.

In order for me to buy riding gear, which can be expensive, I sacrificed by not buying personal clothes in almost two years. Yes, two years without buying new socks, underwear, pants, shirts, shoes, etc except for boots which I wear for riding and everday use. Since my bike is my only ride, I no longer wear tennis shoes, or other type of jackets except for riding jackets with armour of course.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Cash is also a problem here ..... but there are ways to get around.

I dunno how prices compare, but you're looking at about R500 for a pair of gloves .... you can get plain workers leather gloves for R50 ... not as nice i accept, BUT THEY WILL WORK IF YOU FALL ...

Ditto for boots, normal steel cap variety would work great, you need ankle protection.

The only thing that matters is are you protected if you fall?

Safe riding!!!