Dominator Projector headlights install

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
I wrecked my 2004 FZ6 a few months ago after hitting a dog.

1392011_10151882248333941_1297375768_n.jpg

1383715_10151882551658941_1659115841_n.jpg

It wasn't too bad so I decided to fix it up and go with a naked look. I see a lot of FZ6N conversions that use the dominator headlight but have yet to see anyone else using these projectors.

$_12.JPG

They look cool enough so I gave them a try:

1013701_10152063759053941_813573935_n.jpg

1536657_10152066747083941_1957997140_n.jpg

I still have a few things to figure out before I take it on the road like where I'm going to mount the front turn signals and some way to better hide the wires! Quite messy looking. I pulled some of them back inside the frame of the bike but its still a mess. Any suggestions?

I used mirror mounts to mount the speedo to the handle bars but I'm thinking I might want to mount the speedo lower.

The factory parts I replaced are:

Forks
Front fender
Lower triple
Horn (sounded like a dying bird before the wreck anyway)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions at this time but Great Comeback and Good Job! You'll figure something out. Glad you're OK as its never good to see carnage like above...

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact thanks I walked away with just some scratches on my leg. I was wearing my boots, leather jacket, gloves, helmet.

FB400 they are halogen. I think they are H4 bulbs inside and I've had thoughts of installing these LEDs but I'm not sure there is enough space inside the housing for the heatsinks and I don't know where the ballast would go because there is absolutely no space around the battery area

2X H4 9003 HB2 High Power COB LED Bulb High Low Headlight Fog Light 40W White | eBay

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I really want to try bulbs like that on my bike, please update this thread if you end up trying them out!

Nice headlights to, but i would put them a bit higher...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're commited to not going back to faired, the best way to clean up wiring is to cut out the bulky OEM connectors. You will then end up with just a hand-full of thin wires which can be wrapped with black electrical tape.. and that will make them barely noticeable.

Also looks like this screen could help you clean up the look: Dominator Twin Headlight Fly Windsheild - Windscreens - Parts - Street

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
Carlos840: I most likely will try these bulbs out since my car takes H4 as well and if they don't work in the bike I will put them in the car. Not for a couple months though probably.. New tires are a higher priority right now.
Nothing is in its final place right now. I was going to see about raising the headlights but they do stick back pretty far and I think there might be clearance issues with the ignition assembly.

Erci: If there was some stylish little fairing that could mount above the headlights to hide the wires in I'd love to consider that. I thought about a fly screen, or cutting up a portion of the Puig racing windscreen I had that mostly survived the wreck and using that as a fly screen, but these headlights look so cool I kind of want them to be the center of attention and would be happy just to hide the wires a little better. I wish the tank and frame were black. Then it would be easier to blend the wires in.

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
Aw crap :banghead: they are actually H1 bulbs in this headlight. The auction said they were H4 bulbs....Ebay Case opened. There doesn't seem to be LEDs for H1 as powerful as the ones I was looking at for H4. Also this headlight works like the stock fz6 headlights in that one side is lo-beam and one side is hi-beam. And because they're H1 bulbs...I don't think the duel lo-beam mod would work. So if you look up this headlight and see that it says H4 that just means the connector is H4. Not the bulbs.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
There's plenty of room for a ballast or two under the tank, there's space ontop of the battery to fit them. Also you could slip them in the front of the airbox (easier if you have modded it) if you really needed more space. I've got all of my wiring, ballast and relays ontop of the battery and have no issues.

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
lawlberg: I've found HID kits for H1 on ebay for $30 so I'm thinking about HID instead of LED. My only concern is switching on the hi-beam because one side is low-beam and one side is high so the high side bulb is off until I turn on the high-beam. Is there a delay or warm-up period at all for the HID to come to full intensity?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
lawlberg: I've found HID kits for H1 on ebay for $30 so I'm thinking about HID instead of LED. My only concern is switching on the hi-beam because one side is low-beam and one side is high so the high side bulb is off until I turn on the high-beam. Is there a delay or warm-up period at all for the HID to come to full intensity?

Yes there is a delay on the HID and if you switch it on and off it hot starts which will shorten component life.

You might get HID projectors with the hi/lo beam function. There is an internal cut off shutter that only allows light at a low angle (low Beam function) and when you hit the hi beam the shutter pulls away and allows all the light to pass at a higher angle (hi beam) :)

There are also H4 conversion HID lamps on the market which have a plunger for hi and lo beam but they are usually inefficient and don't work well with reflectors that have been designed for H7 or H4 halogens.

If I upgrade it's going to be HID projectors! :rockon:

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes there is a delay on the HID and if you switch it on and off it hot starts which will shorten component life.

You might get HID projectors with the hi/lo beam function. There is an internal cut off shutter that only allows light at a low angle (low Beam function) and when you hit the hi beam the shutter pulls away and allows all the light to pass at a higher angle (hi beam) :)

There are also H4 conversion HID lamps on the market which have a plunger for hi and lo beam but they are usually inefficient and don't work well with reflectors that have been designed for H7 or H4 halogens.

If I upgrade it's going to be HID projectors! :rockon:

Thanks for the info. The only HID projectors I can find are just the lens part that you're supposed to install into your factory headlight housing, which I don't have anymore. I'm not sure any of them would fit the dominator projector housing I have. It only has a static shutter in the low beam side so I need a light that can light up fast and handle being switched on and off a lot. So that leaves either LED or the current halogens I guess..

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. The only HID projectors I can find are just the lens part that you're supposed to install into your factory headlight housing, which I don't have anymore. I'm not sure any of them would fit the dominator projector housing I have. It only has a static shutter in the low beam side so I need a light that can light up fast and handle being switched on and off a lot. So that leaves either LED or the current halogens I guess..

Based on your choices, it kinda looks like you're trying to keep it cheap, but if you want a good headlight (not sure if they'll fit in those or not) I'd go with The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications - they have some small bixenon projectors (uses a cutoff shield to keep the beam from spreading unless you have the highbeam activated, so you don't turn on and off the bulb when you're using a high beam, but you still have a good, clean, bright light). Projectors are fully enclosed lights, they have all of the reflectors, bulbs and lenses built into the (for lack of a better word) can (it's about the size of a soda can). 4 inches long I'd say.

They have the mini-morimoto projectors, ballasts, and other equipment needed combined into a 'sportbike kit' - it's not as easy as installing a new halogen bulb, but it's pretty simple. They have H4 plugs so you can just tie into the existing bulb fixture.

Note: just remembered my ballast is behind my headlight, under my instrument cluster, not in the battery bay - that said there is plenty of room in there for it.

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on your choices, it kinda looks like you're trying to keep it cheap, but if you want a good headlight (not sure if they'll fit in those or not) I'd go with The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications - they have some small bixenon projectors (uses a cutoff shield to keep the beam from spreading unless you have the highbeam activated, so you don't turn on and off the bulb when you're using a high beam, but you still have a good, clean, bright light). Projectors are fully enclosed lights, they have all of the reflectors, bulbs and lenses built into the (for lack of a better word) can (it's about the size of a soda can). 4 inches long I'd say.

They have the mini-morimoto projectors, ballasts, and other equipment needed combined into a 'sportbike kit' - it's not as easy as installing a new halogen bulb, but it's pretty simple. They have H4 plugs so you can just tie into the existing bulb fixture.

Note: just remembered my ballast is behind my headlight, under my instrument cluster, not in the battery bay - that said there is plenty of room in there for it.

Can you post a picture of your bike with these lights in it?

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site

Where did you get that headlight housing from? That's what I don't have; something to put the projectors in. I doubt they would fit in my dominator 2.0 lights.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you get that headlight housing from? That's what I don't have; something to put the projectors in. I doubt they would fit in my dominator 2.0 lights.

That's the VS-01 or VS-02 headlight - A guy named Vishnu on these forums (dev_usc) sells them, or you could keep your eyes open for one from another member on the for sale section. They're a kit that's mostly pulled from the FZ16, a bike Yamaha sells in India.

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the VS-01 or VS-02 headlight - A guy named Vishnu on these forums (dev_usc) sells them, or you could keep your eyes open for one from another member on the for sale section. They're a kit that's mostly pulled from the FZ16, a bike Yamaha sells in India.

Ah the mysterious VS02 kit I hear and see so much about but can never seem to find for sale. Any idea how much they cost?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I know retrofit source sells good quality components and their customer service is quite good.. but if i had this to do over I would get an ebay morimoto knock off projectors for 1/3rd the price. I also found good quality ac digital ballasts for about $8 when winning bids. Basically all this HID stuff is made in China. American companies slap their logo on it and provide customer service that drives the cost way up

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I got a partial refund back on my dominator projectors due to the sellers description mistake about the H1 bulbs. I am being cheap so I'm going to stick with this housing and at some point try out some LEDs in it. Here's how it looks with halogens: (low beam)

1526801_10152067968983941_596415725_n.jpg