Do you let anyone borrow your vehicle?

Do you let anyone drive your vehicle/bike?

• Yes, I or we will let them borrow knowing that they are respnsible

Votes: 39 29.5%
  • Yes, but not my Bike!

Votes: 52 39.4%
  • No, I or we wil not let anyone borrow our vehicles. Sorry just our policy.

Votes: 41 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i will let people borrow my stuff with the "You break it, you bought it" policy understood up front. beyond that they are just things and emotional involvement with things is not top on my priority list.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
The only reason I would ride another person's bike is if I was considering buying the same or similar one. As for vehicles, I have borrowed my buddies truck to move and such, so I know how it is, and would let someone I trust take mine.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
If I know someone well, borrowing my car is no problem. However, I don't think that I would let anyone borrow my bike. First of all, I don't have collision insurance on my bike. Second of all, it is too easy to crash an unfamilar bike.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I let people use my car if I can trust them but my car is only worth $500. No one rides my bike but me, It cost to much for me to replace and the only person that I think has a right to ride it is me and my dad cause thats the names on the loan. But my dads a harley guy so he wont touch it.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
My bike is like my toothbrush ,- FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY!!!!
This may partly come from the fact that I bye my bikes from new, - if I ever got a used one I might take a different stand.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i think i am like most here. yes to certian ppl., certian situations.

for the most part tho there are a handfull if i can spare it they can use it other than that there had better be a damn good reason,

my truck is huge (1-ton ext cab long box dually) so most dont bother (unless they are in that handfull) becuse it intimidates them too much to drive something that big.

my car is moded to that will only go to those i trust.

and the bike to even less ppl just for the safty aspect of it.. why let them take that when i have 3-5 cars leagal

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I love my bike, I'm also a car enthusiast. Having said that, every car I've owned and will own is a stick-shift. It's just too easy to burn through a clutch if you don't know what you are doing in the same respect that it is very easy to crash a bike you are not familiar with.

In short, no one drives my bike except my brothers and me (they have the same bike). No one drives my car unless I am with them the first time they drive it to see their stick-driving-abilities (insert pun if you like:spank:).

For instance: I know CaliRider has the exact same car and bike I own. I've also been with him driving both of these vehicles and know he treats his vehicles with the same, if not more, respect than I do. No hesitation if he needed to borrow either one.

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
i will let people borrow my stuff with the \"You break it, you bought it\" policy understood up front. beyond that they are just things and emotional involvement with things is not top on my priority list.

I agree with this in theory, but not everyone owns up to their mistakes after the fact. They may just agree with this in the hopes of going for a ride on your bike.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As a m/c tech I test ride every bike i service or repair.so you that say you would never loan your ride.just remember if shes been in the shop (she's been rode by another man!) you probably beleived she was realy a virgin!!!!! LOL :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As a m/c tech I test ride every bike i service or repair.so you that say you would never loan your ride.just remember if shes been in the shop (she's been rode by another man!) you probably beleived she was realy a virgin!!!!! LOL :D

True, but the shop has insurance and will without a doubt fix anything and that happens...Or i would hope...

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
True, but the shop has insurance and will without a doubt fix anything and that happens...Or i would hope...

definitly,all techs are givin their own insurance card by my shop.no one without a m/c endorsement is even allowed to sit on customer bikes.our policy is if your not workin on it dont touch it!:spank:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I love my bike, I'm also a car enthusiast. Having said that, every car I've owned and will own is a stick-shift. It's just too easy to burn through a clutch if you don't know what you are doing in the same respect that it is very easy to crash a bike you are not familiar with.

In short, no one drives my bike except my brothers and me (they have the same bike). No one drives my car unless I am with them the first time they drive it to see their stick-driving-abilities (insert pun if you like:spank:).

For instance: I know CaliRider has the exact same car and bike I own. I've also been with him driving both of these vehicles and know he treats his vehicles with the same, if not more, respect than I do. No hesitation if he needed to borrow either one.

Stick shift vehicles just like bikes are tricky to lend out. When I had my Nissan Altima (5 speed) I never let anyone drive it unless they owned a manual shift vehicle. If the person has a two wheeled vehicle in their garage, then they may ride mine.

I do let people ride my bike all the time, especially on group rides as it is fun to switch rides. Then again, all of my riding buddies are decently experienced and carry insurance and treat others equipment with the respect it deserves. It all depends on the situation.
If someone borrows my car for some reason and totals it, I can be financially made whole again, I would just hope that who ever borrowed it is ok first.

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
i will let someone use my car or truck. It is a maybe for using my bike. i let a few guys ride it but we switchd bikes for a few miles. i drove his 08 gsxr750 and he drove mine. not a bad ride if i do say so.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I will let SOME friends and SOME family borrow my truck and/or my trailer. I will even let those people borrow my boat, but not my bike. Only one of my friends has ridden my bike, but I was very nervous about it. However, I could not say no. I learned to ride on his bike, so it is only fair that he took mine around the block a few times. Fair is fair whether I like it or not.

Note: My friend that rode my bike, laid another buddies bike down 2 weeks ago. He wants to ride everyone's bike, and will let anyone ride his. No damage to the other bike, but still scary.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Good point Rob. I had a then new '02 Carrera and when to a hotel downtown and had it valeted and when into a meeting. Picked my car up and smelled clutch! Took it to the dealer and the clutch was almost to the rivets. Any more and the flywheel would have been toast. Warranty didn't cover that one and the hotel wouldn't own up, $2,200 later I had my car back. :eek:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I never let anyone drive my truck. Noone ever asks to drive it, but still i'd say no.

The bike is a very big N.O. I have a friend who recently let a guy ride his bike, (ZX-10). I told him not to because the guy didnt own a bike of his own and only had ridden a dirtbike a handfull of times. But he let him ride it anyway and needless to say my friend is still waiting for insureance to pay off his totaled bike.

The guy dumped the clutch and looped the bike into 2 parked cars......i wish i had a camera..:banghead:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's only a vehicle! I'm not in love with nor worship any vehicle. If the bike/car crashes then I'll get another one, and won't be effected in the slightest. I can't understand those that freak out about it, those are usually the ones that are afraid to get it wet also. It's just a bike/car!
I agree with you on that one mate. The person that I chose to lend my bike to would only be a good friend. The agreement would be.

You need insurance and if you "Bend it, you mend it".
I would be more concerned for their welfare if they came off.

Nelly

BigRatt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm open to loaning out my rides on a situational basis and consider any damages to be a risk I take in loaning. That being said, I only loan my cars and trucks to close friends and family. My 250 has only been ridden by a select few. My FZ6 is still just too new. Its a risk I don't want to take.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Since my car stand between me and poverty, I do not lend it out. The only person I've ever let take it was my son when he was home on leave from the military....and even then he had to have the money to cover the deductible if anything happened to it!

I would only trust one other person and that is my best friend. Since he has many more years of experience riding, I would even let him take my bike. And he has let me borrow his truck as well (he has a no-loaner policy as well but trusted me).

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll loan just about anything, but the person doing the borrowing is probably pretty significant in my life. When I loan anything - be it money, vehicles, tools - I accept the risk that I may never see that thing again. It's not worth losing a friendship or close family tie to get permanently upset about a loan gone bad. So the list of people I loan a car to is pretty small, and the list of people that are going to borrow my bike is tiny. This is even easier to say than in years past because I'm in a much better financial place than I've been in for a long time (plus I can afford pretty good insurance now, too).