Hyundai horrendous customer service experience. Advice needed.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
So I am in need of a little advice. I just want some help and some different perspectives on whether I am being ridiculous. Also I thought it may help people decide whether Hyundai is a manufacturer that you are willing to give your money too and give you a peak at what customer service you can expect.

--Long Story--

My wife and I bought a brand new 2012 Hyundai Tucson AWD to replace her old vehicle, give us some more space and to help assist us through winter. We bought the car two Saturdays ago and the following 4 days after the purchase date we had to spend at the dealer with the check engine light on. After many excuses and quite a few hours sitting at the dealer the final verdict was the car had a faulty transmission and it needed to be replaced. We purchased the car with 30 miles on it and at this time it had 200 miles on it. All of which where put on the car during our 40 mile round trips to and from the dealer to get the damn thing looked at. Each time they had an excuse of why the light was on and in the end they settled on faulty transmission. The car was never actually used by us for anything other than driving it too and from the service department.

I sat down with the general manger of the dealership to discuss my options. I told him I think its fair that Hyundai refunds my money or replaces it with a new identical vehicle to replace the one that came with problems from the factory. He told me as a dealership they can't replace it so they and myself would have to discuss it with Hyundai Motor America.

After almost two weeks and many phone calls I have reached the verdict that the people I have spoke with are not willing to take responsibility for the manufacturing defect and make me a happy customer. They offered a 10 year 100k limited warranty that is NOT transferable between owners, it would apply only to the time we owned the vehicle. I argued that the car's resale is now depreciated because of the severe work that had to be done right after purchase, that's going to be a huge red flag to future buyers. They didn't seem to think it was their responsibility to be responsible for that.

I spoke with regional managers and regional parts and service managers and got no where but rude, rushed conversations saying that Hyundai doesn't owe me anything. They replaced the transmission and are trying to send me on my way.

What would you all do in this situation? We spent/are in the process of spending $25k on the car. It's been the worst customer service experience I have ever had, with constant unmet deadlines and people who have committed to calling me back who never have. The dealer Fairfax Hyundai in Fairfax VA has been horrendous about communication as well. I now have a car I am going to be constantly concerned about and many hours of frustration, stress and wasted time. I honestly feel if the vehicle was delivered to the dealer with a problem, sold to us with that problem we shouldn't be forced to keep the problem. The last guy on the phone I spoke with was a total prick and told me that this is really a 1 in a million chance for this to happen. I argued then why can't you make that 1 person happy, if you have a million other perfectly built vehicles. He stabbed at my intelligence and wasn't even listening when I tried explaining the situation.

It has been a rough two weeks and I will never buy a Hyundai again and I will recommend others not to as well.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into the lemon law i believe it says something to the fact that if a new vehicle has the same problem 3 times it is considered a lemon and the manufacturer MUST replace the vehicle with a new one of equal or greater value.

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look into the lemon law i believe it says something to the fact that if a new vehicle has the same problem 3 times it is considered a lemon and the manufacturer MUST replace the vehicle with a new one of equal or greater value.

Yeah, that's what the law states, but it wouldn't be applicable here. They didn't fix the same problem 3 times.. they just took forever to fix it once.

My wife drives a 2010 Tucson.. got it brand new and now have over 20k miles on it. No complaints so far, but I know it's early.

I too have heard lots of awful service stories when it comes to Hyundai. In fact, I don't remember ever hearing any positive stories about the service. I do believe the cars are actually good. I do all of the maintenance myself, so I don't care too much, but I hope to never have to deal with warranty issues.

I had the smallest issue with the Tucson (homelink mirror.. garage door buttons wouldn't work). Just trying to explain the issue and setting up an appointment was a pretty bad experience. I ended up downloading PDF of mirror install and fixed the problem myself.

I've had same crappy experience with Mazda and Toyota though. Most dealers blow... sad.

I don't think there's much you can do at this point. If you have a lawyer friend you can ask, but I doubt you have a case. :(

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya your right, but if it has happend this soon to the car then it might keep happening and then hes got em but unfortunately he will probably have to live with it for.a while

Edit i just read that link and it said or if the vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days in the first year so that would probably come first

Last edited:

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
How long it takes to fix the car does matter. I had to use the lemon law on mine because it had a simple problem right after I bought it but they had trouble getting the replacement part. There was apart of the law saying that if you are without your new car for 30 days consecutive or non-consecutive that they must replace it. You have to send them a formal letter by fedex or UPS saying "My car has been out of service for 30 days, you have 72 hour to completely fix the car or replace it with a new car"

The non-consecutive part really helps prevent them from saying its fix even tho its not. I would look at the lemon law very closely if I was you.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you in VA, MD or DC itself? Whichever is the case, find out if there is a lemon law, might depend on where you live or more likely where you bought, and read its specifics. Call Clark Howard's Consumer Action Center, or a similar organization if you know one. They're volunteer staffed, and sometimes I've called more than once to get more opinions. Your state or district should have an office for consumer affairs or something similar. Call them too. You may also want to not drive the car at all. Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Also be careful about signing anything if you take it back to the dealer for the same problem. Dealers are very aware of the lemon law and will try anything to get around it, a family member of mine a while back had bought a new ford explore and was having problems with the ecm, she was back and fourth to the dealer a few times within the first month i told her about the lemon law so she went about trying to have it replaced but appertly the 2nd time she took it back to the dealer she signed a "repair clause" wich basicly said that the dealer will keep repairing it under warrenty but will not under any circumstance replace the vehicle. She thought she was just signing something so that they could work on it again. She ended up getting her lawyer involved but there was nothing that he could do.because she signed that paper. So just be careful about how you go about it if you do want to try and go.the lemon law route

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
it's not just Hyundai, most dealerships are the same way. They are happy to help you when you are buying a car or when you need to come in and pay an arm and a leg for service but warranty stuff they run from!

Best of luck with the situation. I can't say I would have handled it differently, you did all you could really. This is a good reason to buy from small town dealerships. Those dealers in big city areas handle so many customers it's just numbers to them, they don't really care about making and keeping customers happy, they will always have business in a big city area.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a good reason to buy from small town dealerships. Those dealers in big city areas handle so many customers it's just numbers to them, they don't really care about making and keeping customers happy, they will always have business in a big city area.

I've had the opposite with one of our cars (Alfa Romeo 159 SW 3.2 JTS), which was bought at a small town dealer, who even wanted money for a blown fog light after 3 weeks (and it wasn't cheap either :eek:). I didn't pay for it, showing him the warranty rules and never turned back there again.
Instead, I now go to a large dealer (read: oldest Alfa Romeo dealer in the world) and have never been happier with the service (which I had used a LOT, since the car is essentially crap :ban:, but just too fun to drive :rockon:)

Grtz,

Degake

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it's not just Hyundai, most dealerships are the same way. They are happy to help you when you are buying a car or when you need to come in and pay an arm and a leg for service but warranty stuff they run from!

Best of luck with the situation. I can't say I would have handled it differently, you did all you could really. This is a good reason to buy from small town dealerships. Those dealers in big city areas handle so many customers it's just numbers to them, they don't really care about making and keeping customers happy, they will always have business in a big city area.

Agree with this, based on my experience :(

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
First, I didn't read this whole thread (don't have a lot of time at work), but I'd let it go if they replaced the transmission and that fixed the problem. **** happens, if they fixed it then I'd just go on and not worry about it.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I emailed the CEO/president of Hyundai Motors America to just tell my story. It may go no where but it felt good to get it off my chest.

It sucks that companies don't give a crap about their customers any more.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see why they should have to replace the car. While I agree customer service that sucks is a pain but I do think they are trying to help you and are doing what they agreed to do, they fixed your car. Once it reaches the level of a lemon it is time to have it replaced but mechanical things break. I would take them up on 100,000 mile warranty that will save you a bunch of money, being AWD when your front end suspension needs to be replaced and you CV joints. I would love to have all the work covered on my car for the next 7-10 years.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see why they should have to replace the car. While I agree customer service that sucks is a pain but I do think they are trying to help you and are doing what they agreed to do, they fixed your car. Once it reaches the level of a lemon it is time to have it replaced but mechanical things break. I would take them up on 100,000 mile warranty that will save you a bunch of money, being AWD when your front end suspension needs to be replaced and you CV joints. I would love to have all the work covered on my car for the next 7-10 years.

The warranty doesn't cover many suspension components, they consider those maintenance items. The crappy warranty isn't much compensation for the amount of crap we have had to deal with. Also the major point here is the car arrived broken and was sold to me broken. This didnt break 10k miles into ownership. We bought the car and have never used it! All that was driven was a quick test drive and home where the check engine light came on and it had to be taken back.

Last edited:

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
The warranty doesn't cover many suspension components, they consider those maintenance items. The crappy warranty isn't much compensation for the amount of crap we have had to deal with. Also the major point here is the car arrived broken and was sold to me broken. This didnt break 10k miles into ownership. We bought the car and have never used it! All that was driven was a quick test drive and home where the check engine light came on and it had to be taken back.

I agree. He bought a new car. you would be pissed if you were sold a new car and then found out later that they tranny has been replaced. that's not factory new I want a factory new car or sell it to me at a used/repaired car price. I'm sure 5spoke would be happy if they gave him back 5k bc it was sold broken... also there is a chance that the salesperson knew it was bad and pushed the sale of that car.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. He bought a new car. you would be pissed if you were sold a new car and then found out later that they tranny has been replaced. that's not factory new I want a factory new car or sell it to me at a used/repaired car price. I'm sure 5spoke would be happy if they gave him back 5k bc it was sold broken... also there is a chance that the salesperson knew it was bad and pushed the sale of that car.

Thank you for seeing my point of view! There is a big difference between a factory assembled new vehicle and a repaired one. The factory integrity is gone. Plus my wife didn't get the new car experience, we bought her a car and she was forced to drive a variety of loaners for the following 2 weeks and then given a vehicle that had been ripped apart and repaired in the shop.

I honestly think anyone who is saying "oh its not that big of deal get over it" would be feeling very differently if they were in the situation.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I love the quality of Asian cars, you're right; their customer service leaves much to be desired. I was a Service Advisor at a Hyundai dealership for a few years & also at a GM dealer for 12 years. I own a Sonata & have had zero problems with it since I bought it new 5 years ago & would not hesitate to buy another Hyundai; they were much, much less problematic than the GMs I worked around for 12 years. GM's build quality may be worse, but their customer service at the manufacturer level was much better. Maybe it's because they are a much bigger company & can afford to be more generous? It's not just Hyundai; I worked for Isuzu & Mazda as well & it seems that none of the Asian companies are willing to spend as much money on customer service as the Big Three. I've had GM warranty transmissions & other big items for as long as 15k miles beyond the warranty period as a "Goodwill" adjustment, that's unheard of with most Asian companies. The Tucson is not a bad vehicle, I've never seen a transmission go out in one. I feel like your problem was a very uncommon occurance & more than likely you'll be able to drive it throughout the remainder of the warranty period with no further problems. Incidently, the 10 year/100k powertrain warranty for the original owner is standard with all Hyundais bought new.