Don't ride like you drive

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately MA doesn't have the market cornered on nimrods not signaling. Happens all the time around here too. :spank:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Great thread - nice way to review before getting out in the Spring. I was explaining some of this to my wife last night as I was perusing the thread - then this morning she sends me this text:

'3 different people came to a complete stop in the middle of 111 [local 45mph road] taking a turn without a blinker. One woman just pulled a u turn right in front of me without a blinker and then ran right through a red light.'

MA drivers are notorious for their lack of blinkers so it is just habit to assume no one is doing what they appear to be doing (or may do what they do not appear to be doing!).

Situational Awareness. All the time.
This is another great piece of advice. Assume no one else on the road has any idea what they are doing, and be cautious even when you see things like turn signals. I've only been riding for a year and I would need a calculator to count the number of people I've seen put their turn signal on and then just keep on driving. NEVER assume a car is going to do what their blinker says and instead play it cautiously like everyone else is out to get you.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep 'em coming. Remember it's a thread about not carrying over your driving habits. What you do when you're behind the wheel that would not be a good practice when your on your bike.

1. Tailgating
2. slamming your brakes
3. Paying attention to surface conditions and objects that can compromise traction in which 4 wheels are not.
4. Running red lights or rolling stops?
Etc, etc,etc

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Although the rules of the roads are essentially the same for cars and motorcycles, you must separate your driving habits so it doesn't cross over to your riding. Most of you ride recreationally, therefore you probably spend more time behind the wheel than the handlebars and may forget some of the things that you should not be doing when you're on your bike.

What driving habits do you or other drivers have that would not be a good practice to carryover when riding? List one, and please explain why. Let me start off the list with...................

Tailgaiting, also known as following too closely. If you are the type of driver who has a tendency to tailgate, you might want to refrain from doing so on your motorcycle. There is a big difference of rear ending a vehicle with a car vs a motorcycle so please allow yourself a nice safety margin. This includes when you come to a stop behind another vehicle. Please allow yourself plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front of you. Don't make the mistake of stopping a feet or two away, you are leaving yourself zero outs in the event you need to move for whatever reason. In my opinion, a definate sign of an inexpereinced rider or possibly a rider who has carried their driving habits to riding.

How about drive like you ride.... that's how I do it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about drive like you ride.... that's how I do it.

Most people will put more miles behind 4 wheeled vehicles so the likely hood of carrying their bad driving habits to their riding are good.

Personally, I don't drive and I dont have A car, but I know most of you do so I want to identify what bad habits you or others may have which would not be good on a bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, this is more of a problem for motorcyclist than cars since most motorcycles require you to manually cancel your turn indicators. As you crossover from driving, I think this would be one of the areas that needs to be stressed, remember to turn off your indicators.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, this is more of a problem for motorcyclist than cars since most motorcycles require you to manually cancel your turn indicators. As you crossover from driving, I think this would be one of the areas that needs to be stressed, remember to turn off your indicators.

I am one of the worst at this! Everyone always has to remind me so I made a beeper that beeps when the flasher is on.The big problem is when at speed the wind drowns the beeper out so back to the drawing board. :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am one of the worst at this! Everyone always has to remind me so I made a beeper that beeps when the flasher is on.The big problem is when at speed the wind drowns the beeper out so back to the drawing board. :)

Cliff, you need an electric shock underneath your seat. :spank:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Most people will put more miles behind 4 wheeled vehicles so the likely hood of carrying their bad driving habits to their riding are good.

Personally, I don't drive and I dont have A car, but I know most of you do so I want to identify what bad habits you or others may have which would not be good on a bike.

Just because someone might put more miles in on four wheels doesn't give them the right to be a ****ty driver.

Since when are any of these things even remotely acceptable?

1. Tailgating
2. slamming your brakes
3. Paying attention to surface conditions and objects that can compromise traction in which 4 wheels are not. (I'm not sure what you mean by this one.)
4. Running red lights or rolling stops?
Etc, etc,etc

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just stating that there are habits, some that are even considered acceptable driving a car, such as slamming your brakes should not carry over to riding. To tailgate someone is never a good practice, but the consequences are much more severe doing it on a bike since you're much more vulnerable. I never said any driver was bad, just that there are habits that drivers develop because they put more miles in a car that could very easily be carried over to the bike. If you never drive, you can't carryover any bad habits. But you can have the same habits or similar habits simply from only riding a bike.

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've noticed myself when I was a new rider that I'd always leave my turn signals on after my turn was long over. I noticed my friend does it too (he's new), it definitely trains you to be conscious of everything you and others do!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike I traded in for my FZ6 (a 2007 Yamaha vStar 650) had automatic cancelling turn signals. Seems kinda odd they'd put them on some of their bikes but not others.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Just stating that there are habits, some that are even considered acceptable driving a car, such as slamming your brakes should not carry over to riding. To tailgate someone is never a good practice, but the consequences are much more severe doing it on a bike since you're much more vulnerable. I never said any driver was bad, just that there are habits that drivers develop because they put more miles in a car that could very easily be carried over to the bike. If you never drive, you can't carryover any bad habits. But you can have the same habits or similar habits simply from only riding a bike.

Braking in a car and a motorcycle is exactly the same.... well in the way you apply the brakes anyways.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Braking in a car and a motorcycle is exactly the same.... well in the way you apply the brakes anyways.
I mean really? I don't know about your car, but my truck's front and rear brakes aren't independent of each other. And, if I slam on the brakes in my truck, I'm pretty sure my truck won't bring the back tires off the ground.

This thread isn't about best case scenarios, obviously none of us ride around on our bikes or in our cars slamming on our brakes. But in the case of an emergency stop, most people in cars will slam on their brakes. And if you do that on a bike, you WILL high side or low side.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^ just like Chance said.

Not only will drivers slam their foot on the brake pedal with enough force to go through their floorboard, but they will most likely tense up locking up their arms along with a death grip on the steering wheel. But in a car, it gets the job done in most cases. Do that on a bike, you will crash. It's very important to keep your arms relaxed in the event you need to swerve. If you have ABS on your bike, then slamming your brakes won't result in such a negative consequence. But some of our FZ6, including mine don't have ABS.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say while it's good to stay centered in your lane in a car to minimize hitting anyone but not in the case of a motorcycle. For a motorcycle it's probably better to be maybe 3/4 or more to one side of the lane.

Driving my ute I have sometimes found myself driving in the same position on the road(drivers seat)as I would on my bike, needless to say, other drivers dont like it when you take up both lanes,lol