Hyundai horrendous customer service experience. Advice needed.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The warranty doesn't cover many suspension components, they consider those maintenance items. The crappy warranty isn't much compensation for the amount of crap we have had to deal with. Also the major point here is the car arrived broken and was sold to me broken. This didnt break 10k miles into ownership. We bought the car and have never used it! All that was driven was a quick test drive and home where the check engine light came on and it had to be taken back.

The 10 year/100k mile warranty is standard for Hyundai. Them "giving it to you" is a load of crap.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
A coworker's father went through a bunch of crap when he bought a brand new Kia. Within a week, the head cracked. It took them 29 days to get it fixed, and it cost them a LOT of money to do it. A week after getting the car back, the alternator quit. He lemon lawed it and ran away from Kia as fast as he could.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
The 10 year/100k mile warranty is standard for Hyundai. Them "giving it to you" is a load of crap.

They have a 10 year 100k powertrain warranty so the one they are offering me covers a bit more, but its still a load of ****. Their bumper to bumper is 5 years 60k.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Isnt hyindai also offering a guarantee trade in price right now? If so and you dont have anymore issues with the car i.would ask to.get that price so.they cant use the tranny thing against you if you decide to get anothe hyundai

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Isnt hyindai also offering a guarantee trade in price right now? If so and you dont have anymore issues with the car i.would ask to.get that price so.they cant use the tranny thing against you if you decide to get anothe hyundai

I thought that was Honda, but maybe not. I don't pay very close attention to most commercials.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the warranties is transferable, or at least used to be.

The warranty being offered as a bonus to me is a 10 year 100k limited bumper to bumper. it extends the bumper to bumper coverage for another 40k miles but has some limitations. That extended warranty that they are offering me is only valid while we own the vehicle. So if we sell it at 5,6,7,etc years, no warranty is included for the new owner which would help me some in the future to sell the car.

This limits me to taking less for the car in a trade in though. It would be nice to get a guaranteed trade in price but my argument about lower resale value still works.

I thought that was Honda, but maybe not. I don't pay very close attention to most commercials.

Nope Hyundai is doing it.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
If the vehicle is fixed just move on, it's the results that count. A complicated component like a transmission can once in awhile just be a bad unit. I think Hyundai did ok for you.

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
While I will 100% agree that the customer service sounds pretty subpar, the actual steps to resolve the mechanical problem make sense. A bad transmission is a bad transmission - it doesn't necessarily mean the whole car is crap. I'd consider it fixed since you have a new one, and the factory warranty will cover you in the insanely unlikely event that this one craps out too.

I would take up the shi**y CS with Hyundai corporate, and just leave reviews where necessary depending on how they handle this dealer.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
If the vehicle is fixed just move on, it's the results that count. A complicated component like a transmission can once in awhile just be a bad unit. I think Hyundai did ok for you.

The result was 2 weeks of me not having my brand new vehicle and tons of leg work to get it done on my part. Yes the transmission has been replaced but Hyundai has lost me as a customer if this is how they treat people when their product is defective.

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
While I will 100% agree that the customer service sounds pretty subpar, the actual steps to resolve the mechanical problem make sense. A bad transmission is a bad transmission - it doesn't necessarily mean the whole car is crap. I'd consider it fixed since you have a new one, and the factory warranty will cover you in the insanely unlikely event that this one craps out too.

I would take up the shi**y CS with Hyundai corporate, and just leave reviews where necessary depending on how they handle this dealer.

i have left out the other issues that needed resolved because this was the major one, but both headlights leaked the first day and had to be replaced as well as an electrical connector under the hood had to be secured because it was coming unlatched.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The result was 2 weeks of me not having my brand new vehicle and tons of leg work to get it done on my part. Yes the transmission has been replaced but Hyundai has lost me as a customer if this is how they treat people when their product is defective.

Well according to the lemon law you only need 2 more weeks of it being out of service and they will HAVE to replace it. Lol

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The really strange part for me is that the CEL was on, and they decided the transmission was bad. It's not often that the CEL points to the transmission at all. On my truck, if there's a transmission problem, the overdrive light will flash.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
The O/D light does flash on Ford/Mazda products to indicate transmission problems. Most other vehicles do illuminate a "CHECK ENGINE" or "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light to indicate transmission problems with codes indicating "transmission component slippage", "transmission temperature too high", "torque converter clutch stuck on/off", etc.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Man that sucks but i feel where u are coming from. buy a new car only to find out its crap. But like others have said there is not much you can do because the paper works is already sign. good luck next time go for a more reliable company

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Best of luck, I personally drive a Scion which is made by Toyota, I stand behind them 100% I had a problem with the traction control on my XB. It took over a year to get it fixed due to my schedule no fault of theirs. They made it right by me. They did over $2000 of work only cost to me was 2 separate trips to the dealership. One for them to scan it and second for the parts that had to be ordered from Japan to be installed. I was always greeted with a friendly hello and a smile. My Xb currently has 108,000 on it and runs like it did the day I drove it off the lot.

To be honest, you had a faulty transmission. They replaced it. Other than you telling someone when you go to sell it how would anyone know what has been done? Unless of course you trade it into the same dealership that did the work. How hard of a time did you have getting the parts replaced? Did they do it without a problem and the problem you are having is them replacing the car? In 7 years I would say your $25,000 car will only be worth about $5000-$6,000. Most people spending in that range don't pay attention to warranties...

Last edited: