do you hear a pressure release when opening gas cap?

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
my buddy has an fz6r '11 and I have an fz6 '08 he makes fun of me because my bike hisses when I open my fuel tank but his does not. I assume that this is normal as I have had cars that done this too but I wanted to ask if anyone else gets this same pressure release?

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I never get hiss, but I do smell raw fuel at stops sometimes. Better check the cap, gasket and complete assembly. Don't want to add hydrocarbons to the atmosphere accidentally. Bummer,, Rich

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well theres an overflow point that releases fuel through a hose, I would assume air would be able to vent out as well. Just as when you ride from the bottom of a mountain to the top.
Due to different pressure you wouldn't be able to open your tank up..
So I suggest checking the hoses for blockage. As I don't think the hissing is normal.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Had to cut down one of my fuel vent/overfill lines that run from bottom on tank because a spider crawled in there and blocked it all up! It did cause some vacuum to build up. I agree with the above post, check the vent lines. :D

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
where do i find the vent lines? is it one of the the lines connected to the bottom of the tank?

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know about your model year, but my 06' has the two lines running from under the tank to behind the rear brake lever on the right hand side. There should be three hoses. 2 lines from gas tank and one smaller one from coolant res. I believe. I'll take pics for you and throw em up.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Over at the fz1 forum theres a topic with people who replaced the lines for more sturdy ones because the stock ones kink to easy. So this might be the problem. You should be able to see the hose coming from below the bike. I found mine when I spilled some gas while filling her op once, and saw some drops coming from underneath the bike.