Do you drive differently?

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I've been riding quite a bit lately and noticed that I am starting to drive like I ride. For example, tonight I was approaching a big curve and looked down at my tach. I was driving at 4000 rpm. My car redlines at 6000 and I normally drive around 2500. I just thought that it was funny, since I've been pushing the bike higher and higher as I get more comfy with the engine. Anyone else notice that you drive a liitle differently after you get off of your FZ6?

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I see a lot more of what goes on around me when I am in the car/truck now! Even though I am in a cage, I have started driving like I am exposed, over all a good thing I think. :thumbup:

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I always get antsy in my car because I can't cut between cars and pass slow drivers like I can on the bike. It's irritating to be stuck in a cage.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed a long time ago that I'm much more of a defensive driver due to riding a bike. I'm more aware of what's going on around me, my use of mirrors, everything.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I too am much more tuned into dangerous situations. This happened today while in my cage: I saw a car trying to get out of a parking lot down the street on the right, but his view towards me was blocked by a line of parked cars on the curb. I was in the right hand lane. Had I been on a motorcycle, I would have move over one lane to the right, slowed down, and honked a couple of times. In a cage, I tend to just continue on with a feeling of "if I was on a motorcycle I'd have to worry about this but now I'll just largely ignore it, with a worst case result being a fender bender."

I also find a drive less aggressively. Roads that I used to consider fun to drive a car aggressively on are just ho-hum compared to riding the same road.

Sometimes I try to do outside-inside-outside in the small remaining margin to move around in my lane in a turn too.

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Not at all. I drive at 2 to 3 thousand revs trying to keep it low and economical, while the Fazer has to rev and I'm trying to use the engine in the torque/power range. Without looking at the rev counter I'm getting my ears accustomed to the sound of trying to get it to 12000rpm but changing before the rev limiter. :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be worried if I open the door and hang my ass out over the edge and try to drag a knee on a diminishing radius curve! :eek: :D

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty cautious on the bike so I would have to say no. I have noticed that I need to readjust to the clutch in each of them when I switch.

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I noticed a long time ago that I'm much more of a defensive driver due to riding a bike. I'm more aware of what's going on around me, my use of mirrors, everything.

Yeah, I agree with that, too. I also slow down before entering curves with my car. :Flash:

I like to think that motorcycle riders should stand out as safe motorists. I mean, when I got done with the MSF course a couple years ago, I was so proud of how safely I was riding compared to the cages on the road.

W

wrightme43

I see more, that comes from practicing the vision drills, and I just mainly sit and think cars suck, cars are cages, the cold sucks, I really wish I was on the bike, why is this car such a pain in the butt, 2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad and so on.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I do drive differently, and that's a good thing. I'm using (practicing) skills like better use of vision, picking lines, thinking through curves, SIPDE, etc. It makes for safer driving of the family van, and keeps me a bit sharper for the riding season. Not only natural, but I think it's beneficial when you're back on the bike.

The only downside is waving at bikes from a minivan....they just don't understand...

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My normal riding is at whatever gear i am in i stay in that gear and hole the Rpm's at 6-7K and just cruise along.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the car, I habitually move to one side of the lane and then cross back over to the other so I can go over train tracks in a straight line. I also do all my braking before a turn and accelerate midway through.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever I'm driving the company vehicle, I have to keep reminding myself that the right lane is available.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When i first started riding, i did not own a car...did drive occasionally, but it wac not for another 5 years, that i got my own car...so i think i drive like i ride! Well, quite a few people have commented to this effect, anyway.

I am definitely more aware on the road in my car, as a result of being an "invisible" road user on my bike for 25 years!

:thumbup:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I agree with that, too. I also slow down before entering curves with my car. :Flash:

I like to think that motorcycle riders should stand out as safe motorists. I mean, when I got done with the MSF course a couple years ago, I was so proud of how safely I was riding compared to the cages on the road.

Good point - I think in the car people get to feeling too protected and do stupid things. I worry more about what other people in their cars are doing than my own abilities on the bike.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be worried if I open the door and hang my ass out over the edge and try to drag a knee on a diminishing radius curve! :eek: :D

I ride the bike a a lot these days and hardly drive my Jeep. I find I have to catch myself because I keep thinking I can lean the Jeep into the turns. :eek:

Well.....If I get really good with the Jeep I might be able to.....

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that, without the wind blowing around me, the exhaust resonating in my helmet, and the grin on my face, I tend to drive slower, but with the same alertness (looking far ahead, braking early, etc). I find that I get more frustrated in stop and go traffic though. Then again, having air conditioning and listening to music seems to offset the frustration somewhat.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that I pay so much attention to the cars, pedestrians, crosswalks, and intersections that I don't notice red lights as much.