Do you consider yourself a cager?

Do you consider yourself a Cager when you are behind the wheel?

• Yes. I'm viewed as a cager to all motorcyclist even though I ride too!

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • No. I' don't consider myself a cager because I ride too!

Votes: 35 55.6%

• Total voters

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it's probably kinda like relationship between birds and humans? Birds probably think that we're stupid because they notice that we're not flying. There's really no way for us to let birds know that sometimes, we, too, fly, albeit it in a cage with wings. When I'm in a cage I like to think that I'm, somehow, displaying a unique respect that---but maybe only some---motocyclists will sense. Now back to your question if I feel like a cager when in a cage. Answer: kinda/sorta "No."

H

HavBlue

When riding it really makes no difference to me if the operator of that cage is Rossi, it's still a cage and therefore a threat...... Oh, and Rossi is still a cager in this case.......

S

sportrider

to answer the survey; I am a motorcyclist...always, even if driving a cage. a rider has a sense that a typical cager doesn't have. a soldier is still a soldier even when not on the battlefield, same with a rider. I hold myself to a higher standard then the civilians around me. so NO I am not a cager, despite what my appearance may look like at the time.:thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
to answer the survey; I am a motorcyclist...always, even if driving a cage. a rider has a sense that a typical cager doesn't have. a soldier is still a soldier even when not on the battlefield, same with a rider. I hold myself to a higher standard then the civilians around me. so NO I am not a cager, despite what my appearance may look like at the time.:thumbup:

Thanks, Sportrider. I couldn't have said it better. I'm in your camp.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I am with Danny on this. to expand what he says, when I see a soldier NOT on the battlefield or in uniform you can generally tell he/her is a soldier (well I can being a soldier) by how they act. so if that other rider sees me in my cage he probably realizes that I am more curteous to him than most cagers so he/she sees me as another motorcyclist.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
There is no doubt that a biker driving a car is a more aware driver than drivers who have never ridden a bike.
The best (non-biking) 'cagers' out there are the ones who have taken a Defensive Driving Course that taught them to look beyond the windshield, which is good news for bikers.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not feel like getting into some trivial argument with you.

If you re-read my post, you'll see that I was not looking for a "trivial argument"....I was merely pointing out what appeared to be a contradiction in your driving habits.
You are basing your "exceptional" skill on what you can see (cage vs bike), rather than what you may not see. While you are slashing and burning your way through traffic in a car, giving no quarter to other "cagers", one day you just may not see that lone biker in your blind spot.
I guess it may just be that I've never heard anyone describe their driving ability as "exceptional" before. :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no doubt that a biker driving a car is a more aware driver than drivers who have never ridden a bike.
The best (non-biking) 'cagers' out there are the ones who have taken a Defensive Driving Course that taught them to look beyond the windshield, which is good news for bikers.
So should bikers who drive cars be given a new catagory? Un-caged?

Personally I dislike driving my car I feel less secure in my car than on my bike. I only took my car license because my wife dosn't drive and we were planning to have children at that time.

Nel

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
You know I answered that I considered myself a cager but now that I think it through more, I think that is not wholly true. Maybe I am a rider stuck in a cage? So, in a literal sense I am a cager since I am in a cage but my mindset is that of a rider. I know that riding has made me an even better driver than I was before I was a rider.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No I dont consider myself a cager...have never driven a car in my life..only ride my bike!

I thought I was the only person on this forum who doesn't own a car/truck. But to say you have never driven a car in your life! Not even a golf cart? That's impressive. You are the true meaning of not being a cager. How do you get around in the winter time? I see you are from Erie? That's Erie PA right? If so, you have brutal winters.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before becoming a rider I guess I was a "cager", but after learning how to two wheel I now consider myself as a rider and not a cager even though I drive a car/van once in while. I drive my cage pretty much with the mentality of a rider. Always looking for potential threats to my being despite the protective cage, also being considerate to other drivers and especially to fellow riders. Only bad thng is I can't wave and expect the rider to know I'm a brother. I do have one of those stickers on the back of my car telling people to watch out for riders.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After just one day, based on the responses that everyone has made, it appears that we all have become better drivers since we have aquired our bikes. We are now more aware than ever before on how important it is to pay attention to everything. You definately get a different perspective on how you should drive after being on a bike for a while. It's a shame that most drivers in this world will never get to share our experience, and they will continue drive and never improve.

H

HavBlue

After just one day, based on the responses that everyone has made, it appears that we all have become better drivers since we have aquired our bikes. We are now more aware than ever before on how important it is to pay attention to everything. You definately get a different perspective on how you should drive after being on a bike for a while. It's a shame that most drivers in this world will never get to share our experience, and they will continue drive and never improve.

I don't know it's a shame nor do I think it takes a motorcycle to be a good defensive driver; "cager." There are truckers with millions of road miles who have never been in an accident nor have they ever been on two wheels yet the term cager is quite fitting as they are surrounded by metal. There are squid motorcyclists just as there are squid cagers and in each case they carry their own respective shortcomings.

There are bikers and there are motorcyclists while they are on 2 wheels but once they open that door and get behind that wheel they're cagers which is why we often find the phrase "I was caging it today" so frequently used. Sure, we are still bikers or motorcyclists but the fact remains, we are surrounded by the safety of all that metal and therefore cagers.

Very few cages have the outright power to weight ratio required to make an offensive move that may save them in times of need where a huge number of motorcycles do. It is because of this a motorcyclist has both options (offensive and defensive moves) in a time of need. So, to me, being safe isn't about being on a bike or being in a cage. It's about being observant, maintaining a clean driving/riding record and sharing the road in a courteous manner. If I am on a bike I am a motorcyclist and if I am in a cage I am a motorcyclist who is caging it.....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I was the only person on this forum who doesn't own a car/truck. But to say you have never driven a car in your life! Not even a golf cart? That's impressive. You are the true meaning of not being a cager. How do you get around in the winter time? I see you are from Erie? That's Erie PA right? If so, you have brutal winters.
Scorph is from Eire, Republic of Ireland. Also bloody cold in the winter.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how do you never drive a car? don't get me wrong, that is cool that it happened, but man... that is a lot of bike riding.

Its very easy to do mate.
I would never have got a car if it was for the fact that my wife could not drive. She is learning at the moment.
I actually almost brought an Ariel sidecar outfit. The wife was not to pleased lol.
I took my car test in 2001 and have only travelled 20,000 miles in a car. Most of those miles have been driving the wife back to Ireland to see her family.
Once Avril is behind the wheel I will be free, free forever hah hah hahhhar:Flash:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know it's a shame nor do I think it takes a motorcycle to be a good defensive driver; "cager." There are truckers with millions of road miles who have never been in an accident nor have they ever been on two wheels yet the term cager is quite fitting as they are surrounded by metal

We as motorcyclist call them damn cagers, the truckers call them damn four wheelers.