Do u ever do this at a light :D

Do you Rev the bike at a light ?

• I do it all the time :)

Votes: 99 46.3%
  • I never do this at all .

Votes: 62 29.0%
  • What are you talkin about ?Wheres this feature on the bike?

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • I hate people who do this :eyebrow:

Votes: 42 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
St_Gotthardt-Tunnel.jpg

Good times.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
In lots of traffic I rev to 4k to keep the battery charging....
I know people say that its not long enough to do anything but when the battery was dying it kept the warning lightws off

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
never do it. unless im next to firends vehicles

it definitely annoys cagers (and it should really, my exhausts are right next to their windows)

it essentially is an invitation for a race to other bikers on the traffic light( where if the have bigger bikes is a stupid thing to do, but also for smaller bikes too)

its a definitely a squid/attntion seeking behavior

how are light sensors set up in greece? is it weight, or just a timer? I am wondering because most 600 cc bikes a idle will not set off the rev sensor used by most American traffic lights

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
how are light sensors set up in greece? is it weight, or just a timer? I am wondering because most 600 cc bikes a idle will not set off the rev sensor used by most American traffic lights

rev sensor on traffic lights??? ie: the noisier it is the fastest it changes to green??? it makes sense to rev then!!! not very good for the environment tho!

in greece the lights are just timed

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm behind a van and can see the reflection of my lights in the metal, I'll rev it sometimes to see if the lights brighten and dim to check the voltage regulator, otherwise, I don't - the Harley folks have ruined this for everyone.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
rev sensor on traffic lights??? ie: the noisier it is the fastest it changes to green??? it makes sense to rev then!!! not very good for the environment tho!

in greece the lights are just timed

lol, not quite. Over here to help with people waiting for the timer of the light to change at a slow intersection rev sensors are put in. it is a wire mesh compound put in the concrete where the first vehicle waiting the light would be. the sensor detects the movement/magnetic signature of the spinning metal to tell the computer that there is a car in one lane and not the other. helps a lot for lowering emissions due to a vehicle not needing to wait for the entire timer for the light to change. The only problem is that smaller engines at lower RPM's put out such a low signal that the older sensors do not pick pick up the signature (also some raised vehicles have the same problem due to the engine being up in the air).This is the reasoning for most of the blipping while in the front of an intersection where i live.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it once in a while, but I always catch myself and try not to do it often. I used to do it all the time in a car I had with aftermarket exhaust, and noticed lower gas mileage because of it.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, not quite. Over here to help with people waiting for the timer of the light to change at a slow intersection rev sensors are put in. it is a wire mesh compound put in the concrete where the first vehicle waiting the light would be. the sensor detects the movement/magnetic signature of the spinning metal to tell the computer that there is a car in one lane and not the other. helps a lot for lowering emissions due to a vehicle not needing to wait for the entire timer for the light to change. The only problem is that smaller engines at lower RPM's put out such a low signal that the older sensors do not pick pick up the signature (also some raised vehicles have the same problem due to the engine being up in the air).This is the reasoning for most of the blipping while in the front of an intersection where i live.

Are you sure? I've never heard of a "rev sensor".

At 90% of the intersections on the road there are copper coils built into the ground which detect metal mass only. The reason for motorcycles not tripping some of them is the lack of metal compared to a car.

I think you're thinking of metal sensors. Not calling you a liar, I've just never heard of this and I find it very hard to believe it would be possible, and functional.

---------

Also one reason for revving the engine(mildly, not wildly) especially during a hot day or during long lights, is to get the coolant flowing through the engine, aiding in cooling.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site

At 90% of the intersections on the road there are copper coils built into the ground which detect metal mass only. The reason for motorcycles not tripping some of them is the lack of metal compared to a car.

I think you're thinking of metal sensors. Not calling you a liar, I've just never heard of this and I find it very hard to believe it would be possible, and functional.

---------

Also one reason for revving the engine(mildly, not wildly) especially during a hot day or during long lights, is to get the coolant flowing through the engine, aiding in cooling.

I will be perfectly honest that i really do not know. This is what was described to me that is senses the metal signature, and bikes due to their mostly aluminum build do not always trip the sensor. I was told that a higher rev with any kind of swirling metal will put off more of a magnetic signature, tripping the coil sensor underneath the pavement.

Although knowing the way elements work, it is very low due to aluminum being non-magnetic.

When i get home i will have to ask a neighbor that works on intersection constructing, i am sure he would know

Also, i apologize if i put out false information, but i know some signals will bypass me unless i put the FZ6 up to 10k RPM for about a half second over the sensor where i live

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site

I have heard of magnetic sensors at lights. Many people have told me to hit the starter button quickly to spin the magnet which should in turn trip the sensor.
I think it's a regional thing. I know in SLC you can see the sensor spots on the pavement before the lights. All it usually takes is a wheel resting on it to trip the light. If it's a stubborn light I'll drop the kickstand down on the spot.

RZ350 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I really need to do it on my RZ350 to keep the plugs clean. It's a 1984 Yamaha 2 stroke that's pretty highly modified and is a very high strung ride. It sounds just like a 250 GP bike with the Toomey pipes and Air box (really just a giant K&N cone, can you say intake noise?), and makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. My leathers have the smell imbedded in them, just like a fine perfume. My FZ6R doesn't need it but I find myself wicking it up just a bit anyway out of habit.

RZ350 Rider

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
A little if there's no other traffic or homes around. I love the sound of my pipes, but not where they can further jeopardize our rights by deliberately annoying cagers.

I hear the harleys do it at a stop sign near my house, after they go roaring by they blip the throttle at the intersection....makes me wonder if they're afraid it will stall and don't know how to adjust the idle or something. I would have to assume people would have a similarly dim view of me doing it within earshot, so I save it for the countryside. Cows don't vote.

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
Only on a rare occasion will I do this at a light. But my exhaust is still stock, so this might change after the Two Bros exhaust finally makes it out. :thumbup:

However, I do it more frequently when I pull into the driveway at home. It is the garage door opener (or at least the signal for my wife to open it for me)!! :rockon:

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I really need to do it on my RZ350 to keep the plugs clean. It's a 1984 Yamaha 2 stroke that's pretty highly modified and is a very high strung ride. It sounds just like a 250 GP bike with the Toomey pipes and Air box (really just a giant K&N cone, can you say intake noise?), and makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. My leathers have the smell imbedded in them, just like a fine perfume. My FZ6R doesn't need it but I find myself wicking it up just a bit anyway out of habit.

RZ350 Rider

Man thats an awesome bike and the sound of that 2 stroker is awesome :rockon:
I used to own a RD350 which is similar to the RZ350. All I can say is I would be revving it away if I still had it.