Dirty wheel after oiling the chain, what am I doing wrong?

mgmidget72

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

After I clean and oil my chain, I notice that my rear wheel and everything else on the left rear of the bike gets very dirty. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Here’s what I’m currently doing:
- Ride home from work to warm up chain
- Wipe chain off with a rag
- Spray Mobil brand chain lube (it’s VERY sticky) to the inside of the chain
- Let it sit for an hour or so

This is my first motorcycle that I’m actually trying to take good care of so I’m sure I’m not doing something right. On the other hand, I don’t know if this dirty mess is to be expected.

Thanks,
Scott

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
It soudns like you may have applied too much lube to the chain and it slinging lube around is your swingarm also dirty? cause mine was filthy when i overlubed (wow that jsut sounds dirty:spank:)

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Or.... you are not waiting long enough to ride it again. Is there anything on there that indicates how long you should wait after you lubricated the chain? I generally let mine sit overnight after I lubricate the chain.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

After I clean and oil my chain, I notice that my rear wheel and everything else on the left rear of the bike gets very dirty. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Here’s what I’m currently doing:
- Ride home from work to warm up chain
- Wipe chain off with a rag
- Spray Mobil brand chain lube (it’s VERY sticky) to the inside of the chain
- Let it sit for an hour or so

This is my first motorcycle that I’m actually trying to take good care of so I’m sure I’m not doing something right. On the other hand, I don’t know if this dirty mess is to be expected.

Thanks,
Scott
Sounds okay to me,just wipe your wheel off with a rag after that first ride after lubing the chain,and do it again in 500 miles or so...:rockon:

mgmidget72

Reaction score
Visit site
So, the consensus sounds like it's just too much chain lube on there. I'll try giving it a wipe off after I spray it on. I guess it's a delicate balance of how much to wipe off.

Thanks!

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having this problem lately. The chain lube gets all over the wheel, under the exhaust and also on the tyre sidewall. This is with Rock Oil lube, and it flings itself all over the place. I'd be interested to know what people on here use.

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
First, mke sure the keys are in your pocket. NEVER try to lube the chain with the bike running. You don't need to spray the chain. Try to dribble the oil from the nozzle as slowly as possible. Using the red nozzle tube will help. With the bike on the centerstand and the trans in neutral, you can easily turn the back wheel by hand. These bikes use an o-ring chain that doesn't need to be completely slathered with oil. The o-rings hold the oil where it needs to be.

I generally use the dribble method and do 2 passes around each set of side links and one pass on the center where the chain rides the sprocket, but yes, the rear wheel still gets messy.:mad:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've been having this problem lately. The chain lube gets all over the wheel, under the exhaust and also on the tyre sidewall. This is with Rock Oil lube, and it flings itself all over the place. I'd be interested to know what people on here use.

I'm a fan of 90 wt gear oil. As I live on a farm, I have access to it quite readily.... pour some onto a rag in the palm of my hand, then wrap my hand around the chain. (as has been stated, bike off, in neutral on the centerstand) I spin the rear wheel until the chain has run every link through my hand at least 2 or 3 times. It's mainly a preservative, as the O rings are supposed to retain the chain lube that was sealed in by the factory.... if some of the 90 wt works into the O rings..... I don't think that's a bad thing.

Chain wax, and all that other stuff flings off just as much as the gear oil.... and is a whole lot stickier to remove from the wheel.

Since these products are basically a wax, the easiest removal I have discovered is to use a clean rag with a small pool of liquid car wax in it. Wiping that onto the stuck on gunk lets the solvents in the liquid wax lift off the gunk.... and leaves some clean wax behind. Wipe it up, then buff it out and you're done.

The gear oil fling is easier to remove than the wax products, or specific chain lubes I have tried. As it stands, I have 23K miles on the OEM chain with no better care than I have described.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using DuPont mult-use lub now and it is great because it is clear. It still may flick around everywhere, but since it is clear, you can't see it.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I give the chain a light rub with a rag to remove excess after lubing.

I like the Original Chain Lube (used to be Honda chain lube). Dries real clean so less mess.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I give the chain a light rub with a rag to remove excess after lubing.

I like the Original Chain Lube (used to be Honda chain lube). Dries real clean so less mess.

I've been using this lube for years, works great and doesn't fling off at all.

I am extremly anal about my bikes, the chain is lubed often and cleaned when needed....

PS. I've tried using chain wax and did not like it all. The chain literally began to rust with chain wax. Gave that can away.....