Digital Voltmeter

hellstormer

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I've done the mod on the dual headlight, I love it !!!
But I'm very concern about it hurting the rectifier and draining off the battery faster than usual.

Hence, I have decided to install a digital voltmeter... Manage to fine one (brand : shadow, claim to be weatherproof).

Initially had a hard time of where to house the little fellow. In the end, I manage to tuck it neatly on the cable bracket next to the ignition key... Secure it by using 3M weatherproof double sided tape (hope that it will hold)

I've tap the source from the signal light...

So when the battery is running low, signal for a change instead of having to tow the bike back...

Here the picture to share....

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Since I've done the mod on the dual headlight, I love it !!!
But I'm very concern about it hurting the rectifier and draining off the battery faster than usual.

Hence, I have decided to install a digital voltmeter... Manage to fine one (brand : shadow, claim to be weatherproof).

Initially had a hard time of where to house the little fellow. In the end, I manage to tuck it neatly on the cable bracket next to the ignition key... Secure it by using 3M weatherproof double sided tape (hope that it will hold)

I've tap the source from the signal light...

So when the battery is running low, signal for a change instead of having to tow the bike back...

Here the picture to share....
I would of gone directly to the battery for a true reading. I am not certain that the FZ6 has a voltage regulator before power is sent throughout the bike.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had the dual low beam mod for quite a while - 5000 miles at least and I have not had any trouble.
Is there actual evidence that the dual low beam mod alone will take out the battery, or damage the rectifier? guess I need to go searching...

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I have had the dual low beam mod for quite a while - 5000 miles at least and I have not had any trouble.
+1

You guys worry too much about stuff you don't need to worry about. Adding in the dual headlight mod is not going to hurt anything in your bike's electrical system. It can handle it just fine. I have this mod, plus a bunch of other lighting mods and have never had any problems.

It's like my firends who are anoying paranoid about oiling their chain all the damn time! As long as it has some lube and you properly maintain it, it's not going to suddenly fall appart if you don't lube it after EVERY rainy day....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice placement, not sure it is necessary, but i would say that there isn't a lot of mods to the bike that ARE necessary.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
A friend of mine has a nifty one for his Vstrom. It's a single LED that is either green, yellow or red depending on voltage. It only needs a single drilled hole to mount and looks really good.

Of course, he won it at a rally and doesn't remember who makes it...

Fred

hellstormer

Reaction score
Visit site
I would of gone directly to the battery for a true reading. I am not certain that the FZ6 has a voltage regulator before power is sent throughout the bike.

I thought of that too but the voltmeter will be onz permantly... dat why just tap on the signal light (think of tapping at the switch but a lot of work to dismantle it)...:(

I'm so relieve to hear all the positive comment about the dual headlight mod... Then let the voltmeter for display...:p

H

HavBlue

There's two ways of looking at this. First there is voltage and that's cool if you are simply looking to see what's there and then there is amperage and this is the push behind that voltage which to me is far more important because that tells me what kind of load I can get away with. The voltage may be there but if you have no push behind it your pretty much screwed as you go into discharge.

Wiring in the dual headlamp low beam mod will not hurt a thing. As it is I run the high beam all the time and in almost 4 years have never had a single issue with a draw or discharge malfunction. If that bike is malfunctioning due to the low beam mod something else is wrong. I can't tell you what because I haven't looked at your bike but the mod itself isn't the problem.