damaged wheel - pics

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
I need your opinion gents.

I've done a very stupid thing :( I've gotten stuck on a freeway with another flat tire (second one in 3K miles) Knowing that I'll be ordering a new one, I drove very slowly on the flat.
Everything was fine until I was forced to go over a small pothole... I bent one side of the rim.

Please look at the pic and let me know what you think, do I need a new wheel? (God I hope not) should I attempt to pound it out with a rubber mallet? should I really worry about it?

Thanks a bunch any input is greatly appreciated!
DSC03964.jpg

DSC03965.jpg

DSC03966.jpg

DSC03967.jpg

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to see that you damaged your rim. The tire is tubeless so I wouldn't recommend you trying to fix it yourself. You don't want to be doing 100mph and suddenly have the tire blow up. I think you can have it repaired though. Sorry I cant help you where you can get fixed but look into it before buying a new rim...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They can be fixed so long as there are no cracks but I'd let a pro do this. Trying to pound it back into shape could cause more damage. The wheel needs to be brought back to spec using special equipment. Sorry to see this man! No idea what the cost would be... See if you can find a local shop.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking very carefully at those pictures (nice pics by the way).

Claud, The Iridium Terrorist, Raid the Revenge and I think it's fine. Leave it the way it is, but make sure there are NO CRACKS. Thus far, I see none, but the circumference of the rim will need to be checked. When you get the tire off, have a look at the inside of the rim and make sure to rebalance it after.

Last edited:

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
This is repairable. You need to find a motorcycle tyre shop that has the necessary equipment. Some time ago I had a rim fixed - they first warm the rim so that it gets softer and then change its shape as close to the original as possible.

BTW buy one of those foam sprays for flat tyres that are really small, cheap and help a ton to get your bike home safely. The idea is that you insert the foam (which is under pressure) into the tyre through the valve and it hardens enough to keep your tyre expanded (almost like normally pumped up one).

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
Good news and bad news:

Good:
It's repairable, as everyone else said, as long as there are no cracks.

Bad:
Bent rims cause hops and skips in transit and make balancing the wheel a very daunting challenge. Let the pro repair it and balance it when they put the new tire on. This transfers the liability in case anything happens from you (if you fix it) to the shop (if they fix it).

I would advise you never to use fix-a-flat unless you're in a dire emergency. Not only does it gunk up the inside of the rims, but it eats away at the inside of the tire. If you're replacing the tire, no problem, but if you're going to plug the tire and use it again, do not use fix-a-flat.

W

wrightme43

aluminum wheel repair
Like it says ask for Chad. LOL

Its in Adairville.

If that ever happens again man, just give me a call. I have a truck, a extra front a rear tire that are still good and the stuff to change them.

Also do not run with the tire rim like that. even if it seals, it can leak over a hard bump, and lose pressure, and there you go for a ride. Just my opinion though.
I know you wouldnt take off in a airplane that was less than right. Same on a bike.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that is absolutely fixable, just do a search around for repair shops that work with rims, usually it is about $50 or $60, but that looks fairly minor compared to some rims that i have seen fixed.

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
Gents, thank you very much for your prompt responses!
I was quoted $180 dollars (plus some other odd charges) to have the rim fixed. So I went to my trusted Suzuki/honda dealer that always works on my bike (i cannot stand my yamaha dealer) and I was told by pretty much everyone in there that damage is very minor and will not affect the performance in any way.

So new tire is on and I'll be re-installing everything again tomorrow! Hopefully no more flats for next 12 months! ;)

Thanks again!!! :Flash:

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
So you're ignoring the advice to fix it and just mounted a new tire??? Everyone has their own tolerance for risk but you just exceeded mine. I would have had it fixed properly.

Had that problem with a car and it cost me $300 per rim to have both right side low profile rims fixed and new tires mounted. (It was a hella big pothole!)

Hotei

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
So you're ignoring the advice to fix it and just mounted a new tire??? Everyone has their own tolerance for risk but you just exceeded mine. I would have had it fixed properly.

Had that problem with a car and it cost me $300 per rim to have both right side low profile rims fixed and new tires mounted. (It was a hella big pothole!)

Hotei

No.

Removed tire allowed for much closer and detailed inspection of affected area. Only the outer lip was bent-outward couple rubber mallet strikes and the lip was right back where it should.

The wheel repair shop was going to heat the area and pound it back into it's original shape for 180 bucks. The dealer did the same thing, without the heat however. (no extra charge) I was told heating one area of the rim would make the alloy softer even after it cooled. I am not sure how this applies to alloy, but I do know heating hardened steel and then cooling it slowly would have that affect.

I appreciate all the input and don't want anyone to think I am ignoring your advice :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:

bladeofgrace

Reaction score
Visit site
So, what's the word? Don't fix a dented rim? I have the exact same problem on my front rim. I'm on the fence as to whether or not to buy a new wheel, used wheel or send the current one off to get fixed. Which reminds me does anyone know if an R6S rim will work on a FZ6?

Thanks,

Ryan

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Did I ever tell you about the time, when the Iridium Terrorist fixed his R6's rear punctured tire with super glue?

You have to believe me! His rear tire hit a nail and leaked! He took the tire off, found the leak and sealed it with super glue! He filled the thing up with air and...

...no problems!! He even bagged the living s.h.i.t out of it! Can you believe that? He even did some wheelies and a ridiculous endo! SLAM! No lost pressure or nothing!

I thought he was a nutter! I would NEVER recommend somebody to fix their tire with super glue! It's the most dumbest thing I've ever saw! Would you take an R6 qualifier-tire and fix its leak with super glue?

I got him to look at your pictures. He said the rim is fine. What do you do?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
No.

Removed tire allowed for much closer and detailed inspection of affected area. Only the outer lip was bent-outward couple rubber mallet strikes and the lip was right back where it should.

The wheel repair shop was going to heat the area and pound it back into it's original shape for 180 bucks. The dealer did the same thing, without the heat however. (no extra charge) I was told heating one area of the rim would make the alloy softer even after it cooled. I am not sure how this applies to alloy, but I do know heating hardened steel and then cooling it slowly would have that affect.

I appreciate all the input and don't want anyone to think I am ignoring your advice :)

Thanks again!
Is it just an optical illusion (in the picture) that the spoke behind the dented rim is bent a little?... Just an imperfection or a real bend? I am assuming it is an illusion, as nobody else has commented....

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Who hasn't had a rim outer lip a little bent before? No big deal..unless it's so bad the tire bead doesn't hold air or wheel doesn't ride true. Wow, sure sounds like the wheel repair shop was trying to take advantage (trying to play on your fears). Now, more of a concern: What's wrong with your wonderful local Yamaha dealer? Have you already talked about this subject? BTW, what caused the tire to go flat?

Last edited:

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
Tailgate, I'm not sure what punctured the tire, but it was a pretty nice cut (glass???)

I rode the bike for the first time today, everything as far as the tire goes seems fine... however i think i've managed to screw something up :(

I will probably make another post with this question, but I think I've over-tightened my chain, i rode like this for 50 miles (highway/helmet/wind noise) before realizing there was quite loud whining noise coming from the back. I quickly made it back to a dealer (only couple miles) and they confirmed the chain was too tight. The dealer (honda/suzuki of schaumburg) re-adjusted my chain and re-torqued the axle nut which was also over-tightened. They didn't take a penny for it. (remember, it was not their fault, i put the wheel on myself, they only installed the tire yesterday)

Anyways, it's alot better now, but I swear I hear a whining noise coming from the back when i ride, it's alot more noticeable when costing with clutch engaged or neutral. Did i screw my wheel bearings??? It's actually more like deep-whining like... hmm... what else sounds like this... like 737's engine on take-off when listening from the inlet side :( seriously i think i broke it :(

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyways, it's alot better now, but I swear I hear a whining noise coming from the back when i ride, it's alot more noticeable when costing with clutch engaged or neutral. Did i screw my wheel bearings??? It's actually more like deep-whining like... hmm... what else sounds like this... like 737's engine on take-off when listening from the inlet side :( seriously i think i broke it :(
I always here a "whining" type sound. I haven't really pinpointed from where it's coming but it sounds "healthy." Have you tried putting your bike on centerstand and try moving wheel for side-to-side lateral movement? Also, for just free spinning the wheel for a check? I'm still curious about the local Yamaha shop: Isn't a wonderful place? Do they not make you feel like a valued customer. Are they not always exceedingly courteous and make you feel like a rockstar?

Last edited: