Curious. ABS installation. Can it be done?

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like ABS. I have it on my truck and have seen plenty of vids of it working on motorcycles.

I know they installed ABS on euro models of the FZ6. Is it possible to purchase one and install it on my bike? I wouldn't think it would be to big of a problem if you found one someone selling one from a part out or something. Just putting out some feelers on the issue.

I like my bike a lot and don't want to have to buy another bike just so I can have ABS. Besides I don't want another vehicle payment for a long time. I want to pay off what I have and be debt free. I have no problem tossing around $1000 to have it on my bike. There is usually about a thousand tacked on the price tag for the ABS option typically.

Used, aftermarket? Talk to me my FZ brothers.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine that it COULDN'T be done... assuming you got your paws on everything from an equipped bike. Are the fork legs different, to accommodate a wheel speed sensor? What about the swingarm? Are the wheels different, or just different rotors with tone rings? What about where the pump mounts? Is the wiring a distinct subharness, or is there a different main harness that could be a pretty big PITA to swap out or Frankenstein together with your current harness? Lots of things I don't know the answer to (I personally despise ABS on everything, so it hasn't come up) other than to guess that the wheels are most likely the same.

If the pump mounting spot exists on US bikes, the wiring is a subharness, and you could easily mount the speed sensors, then it probably wouldn't be awfully difficult or expensive, assuming you can find a fairly complete donor system... piecing it together would probably nickel and dime you to death.

edit:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/atta...unofficial-fz6-compatibility-chart-img197.jpg

Looks like the speed sensors both attach to adapter brackets, or maybe a different caliper bracket altogether for the rear, and the tone ring is attached to the rotor in the rear, but built into the wheel inside the rotor up front.

Last edited:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would be possible. But putting a man on the moon is possible as well.

You would have to get all the braking lines, abs pump, have a local dealer adjust your ecu,
does the speedo have an ABS warning light?
Not sure if 1000usd would get you there, unless you can find a complete set from a wrecked bike or something.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
I must be old fashioned at heart but i try and keep as far away from ABS as i can, i hate the feel of it on a bike. the shuddering puts me off more then feeling useful. I know they did make a ABS version of the FZ6 over here. But pretty sure the ECU is different.

That link you posted looks interesting as it reduces spikes of pressure hitting the disk in one go so preventing sudden grab on the disk causing a lock up. but wonder how it performs under normal breaking and if it gives a mushy feel to the breaks if they dont have a sudden bite? not sure. deffo worth looking into.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
From what it sounds like it works pretty good. I've been reading different reviews on it and it sounds like it helps.

It works like a nitrogen charged brake accumulator in an aircraft. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I have a firm understanding of that technology. Granted the accumulator in an aircraft is usually charged with 3000 psi of nitrogen, but then that is to handle the high volumes of fluid and pressure in a system that is pretty large. This only had a chamber the size of a pencil eraser, but that is all you would need for such a small system such as the one on our bikes. The air compresses where the fluid does not. It converts pressure spikes into pressure waves that are easier for the system to manage if high pressure is suddenly and unexpectedly applied to the system. Sounds pretty viable to me. Still researching though.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
From what it sounds like it works pretty good. I've been reading different reviews on it and it sounds like it helps.

It works like a nitrogen charged brake accumulator in an aircraft. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I have a firm understanding of that technology. Granted the accumulator in an aircraft is usually charged with 3000 psi of nitrogen, but then that is to handle the high volumes of fluid and pressure in a system that is pretty large. This only had a chamber the size of a pencil eraser, but that is all you would need for such a small system such as the one on our bikes. The air compresses where the fluid does not. It converts pressure spikes into pressure waves that are easier for the system to manage if high pressure is suddenly and unexpectedly applied to the system. Sounds pretty viable to me. Still researching though.

There's another one out there that looks like a better idea (and closer to the nitrogen accumulator idea) to me. I saw that one searching for ABS info, and hearing "rubber diaphragm" and "air chamber" in reference to my brakes doesn't sound remotely like a good idea. :confused: I could just do a bad job of bleeding my brakes if I wanted that. :p I think the other one is adjustable, too... an important feature when you're trying to adapt "ABS" where it once was not.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's more trouble than its worth. Personally I don't like the idea of ABS. I know that, at least in a car, I can stop faster in snow without engaging the ABS. I understand that in an emergency situation, ABS on a bike can be a life saver. I'm holding out until it is a standard feature on all bikes. Probably not going out of my way to get it on my next bike.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
There's another one out there that looks like a better idea (and closer to the nitrogen accumulator idea) to me. I saw that one searching for ABS info, and hearing "rubber diaphragm" and "air chamber" in reference to my brakes doesn't sound remotely like a good idea. :confused: I could just do a bad job of bleeding my brakes if I wanted that. :p I think the other one is adjustable, too... an important feature when you're trying to adapt "ABS" where it once was not.

It looks like a pretty thick diaphram and there would be fairly equal pressure on both sides of it so it doesn't look like it would rupture or fail for the life of the bike. I was pretty surprised to find such a thing.

Not many options out there for anything aftermarket. I'll have to see what else I can find on that other one you are talking about. If you happen to remember the link it would be appreciated.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
have you ever ridden a bike with ABS? its an important question i believe, because before you try attempting this, you should definitely go ride one, and do some hard braking tests if you can. personally, i dont like ABS on a bike. for a car, its great, but on a bike its weird. Especially Honda's linked system, i would disable that immediately if i bought a honda that had it. what that system, as well as other linked systems, does is when either wheel starts to lock up, the ABS module switches on and instead of on only the wheel that's locking up it forces both wheels to begin rolling again. also if you tap the rear brake on a Honda linked ABS system (i know this for a fact) the front brake will also engage making the bike handle strangely in the corners if you ever use trail braking to adjust your line. i have not ridden but 2 bikes with ABS and both of them unnerved me, so i personally would just forego it and make my brakes a little more stout.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't want a bike without ABS anymore.. I did 2 advanced riding courses and a rain training course on ABS bikes.
1 with the bmw combined braking system, and in emergency situations I know that my brakes may lock up but the abs saves me from sliding.
Whenever you use the ABS system its a emergency situation. If the ABS kicks in in regular situations, you need to learn to ride :p

Airplnmech

Reaction score
Visit site
I must be old fashioned at heart but i try and keep as far away from ABS as i can, i hate the feel of it on a bike. the shuddering puts me off more then feeling useful. I know they did make a ABS version of the FZ6 over here. But pretty sure the ECU is different.

That link you posted looks interesting as it reduces spikes of pressure hitting the disk in one go so preventing sudden grab on the disk causing a lock up. but wonder how it performs under normal breaking and if it gives a mushy feel to the breaks if they dont have a sudden bite? not sure. deffo worth looking into.

I recieved a masters level class in ABS vs non ABS this summer. My wife and I were riding on the East 295 loop in Jacksonville when a summer storm blew up. If you ride down here in the summer you will get caught in a bunch of them. So I was on the 09 FZ6 and she on the 11 Vstrom ABS. The wife was out in front and she spotted an overpass to hide under; we were the only ones on the road so she hit the brakes and dove for the overpass. I saw her peel off so I dove off and started braking for the overpass. Now, my wife on her ABS bike had absolutely no problems braking hard and making the overpass. I on the other hand had suddenly mounted a wild screaming greased piglet. When I finally got the pig stopped on the side of the road I had time to think about what had just happened. I know now that my front brake probably didn't lock up but at the time it sure did feel like it. When it did I let off and started with the back brake. The bike snapped a little when I did that and I wound up locking up the back brake. I waited until I was facing strait and let off the back brake and eased off to the side of the road. It was about this time the wifey rode up on the V and said "Why didn't you stop under the bridge where it was dry?":banghead: Now if I had the skills of Jonathan Rea or had reacted more correctly I probably never would have needed ABS in the first place but I will say this, the next modern bike I buy will have it on it.

Last edited:

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't want a bike without ABS anymore.. I did 2 advanced riding courses and a rain training course on ABS bikes.
1 with the bmw combined braking system, and in emergency situations I know that my brakes may lock up but the abs saves me from sliding.
Whenever you use the ABS system its a emergency situation. If the ABS kicks in in regular situations, you need to learn to ride :p

Exactly! And that's what I want it for, emergency situations.

Sweaterdude: Can't say that I have ridden a bike with ABS. Even if I did I would've had to push it to the point that the ABS would kick in to notice the effects. I don't ride on the street at break neck speeds like some do. Just want the added assurance that if an emergency situation were to occur I would have a better chance at handling it.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
have you ever ridden a bike with ABS? its an important question i believe, because before you try attempting this, you should definitely go ride one, and do some hard braking tests if you can. personally, i dont like ABS on a bike. for a car, its great, but on a bike its weird. Especially Honda's linked system, i would disable that immediately if i bought a honda that had it. what that system, as well as other linked systems, does is when either wheel starts to lock up, the ABS module switches on and instead of on only the wheel that's locking up it forces both wheels to begin rolling again. also if you tap the rear brake on a Honda linked ABS system (i know this for a fact) the front brake will also engage making the bike handle strangely in the corners if you ever use trail braking to adjust your line. i have not ridden but 2 bikes with ABS and both of them unnerved me, so i personally would just forego it and make my brakes a little more stout.

Sounds logical to me if you only have two wheels instead of four. A bike is not as stable as a car and would need different requirements.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have ABS on my bike and I wouldn't do without it. It's kicked in a few times when the rear wheel has locked on wet/gravel. Without it I would probably have gone down. It pushes back against your foot and feels a bit weird - but when it did come on it made me realise I was pushing down harder than I should have on the rear-brake. I have new HH pads on the front brakes and the originals on the back so it's softer now - but I'm still glad I have ABS if it's needed.

My last bike didn't have it. I had a rear-wheel lockup at quite a low speed and went down. I will always be getting it on future bikes. Luckily, I've only had lock at slow speeds so when I went down on my old bike (GPZ500S) I didn't injure myself or the bike and If I had gone down on the FZ6 I would hopefully have been okay - but I'm still very glad I've got it.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Instant%2BAbs%2B-%2BWe%2BDon%2527t%2BNeed%2BThe%2BGym%2BAny%2BMore.jpg

Oh snap. Nevermind. You meant ABS not abs.

Please disregard.