Crashing for Independence

That is some serious damage. Glad you're all right. Make sure you take that seat cowling off so it doesn't go to the insurance company in the chance that it's totaled. Thanks for posting. Any chance of any pics of the crash site? Just wondering where all this damage came from. As one member mentioned, those sliders were no help.

Make sure you take that seat cowling off so it doesn't go to the insurance company in the chance that it's totaled.

If it isn't totaled and I've taken it off, though, would it not be covered for replacement? I really appreciate your comments, I'm new to the whole insurance claim thing.

Any chance of any pics of the crash site? Just wondering where all this damage came from. As one member mentioned, those sliders were no help.

I went and looked at the spot where it happened, but I really can't tell where my bike slid or where it flipped (it ended up landing on the right side after sliding for a ways on the left side). It's just a dirt lot with some weeds growing on it.

From a Red FZ6 owner to another, seeing those pics hurt. Happy to see there were no serious injuries. If it insurances totals it, will you buy another FZ6?

If it insurances totals it, will you buy another FZ6?

I love the FZ6, but I would consider something else if anybody has a suggestion on a similarly priced bike that is better for any reason. I've been completely satisfied with my FZ.

Wow man! It looks like you went INTO the war for independance with your FZ6. Looks like the front got the worst of it. Damn.

Hmm....putting it into perspective...I'd honestly hate to see that FZ6 melted down. I still see a WHOLE LOTTA good parts on that thing. Even the frame looks intact! I'd really hate to see that thing written off. Is the frame bent? If your engine and frame are good then you can really fix this thing!

Tires look good, brakes look fine, fuel tank is bent a little bit...but even The Stig drives around with one of those!! Actually, I think he has two?? The levers could be readjusted in minutes. Are those front-forks bent? Looking at them from the front, they look good!!

I swear, that bike has only 15% damage. It LOOKS really bad, but I see 1 month and $500 and it will work again. You could pop most of those dents outta the fuel tank. Even the exhaust headers look good!

Take off all the broken stuff and look at it again. I think you'll be in for a surprise.

SO glad to hear you're alright!

PLease let us know what the insurance company says.

A naked conversion would be cool if the bike gets totaled and you buy it back.

Wow man! It looks like you went INTO the war for independance with your FZ6. Looks like the front got the worst of it. Damn.

Hmm....putting it into perspective...I'd honestly hate to see that FZ6 melted down. I still see a WHOLE LOTTA good parts on that thing. Even the frame looks intact! I'd really hate to see that thing written off. Is the frame bent? If your engine and frame are good then you can really fix this thing!

Tires look good, brakes look fine, fuel tank is bent a little bit...but even The Stig drives around with one of those!! Actually, I think he has two?? The levers could be readjusted in minutes. Are those front-forks bent? Looking at them from the front, they look good!!

I swear, that bike has only 15% damage. It LOOKS really bad, but I see 1 month and $500 and it will work again. You could pop most of those dents outta the fuel tank. Even the exhaust headers look good!

Take off all the broken stuff and look at it again. I think you'll be in for a surprise.

Yeah, the frame seems alright for the most part, but it's the subframe that took a hit. It looks a little twisted from the rear. Also, I'm not sure if it's that the handlebar was twisted or if something is wrong with the fork, but my grips will now touch the tank, and that's how the dents were created (grip and clutch lever smashing into it).

Here are a couple pics depicting what I'm talking about. You guys are right though, if I can fix this thing, it'll be nice to have quite a bit of money to do it with.

Oh dear...I just saw the rear pic and that doesn't look good. The sub-frame is off. There's still quite a number of good parts on the bike though. How much is a rear sub-frame assembly?

Okay, I found a rear frame assembly for $250 without shipping. It the entire rear frame with fasteners and everything. $250

A complete frame is $850 without shipping. That's the entire frame, but it ain't worth it. You'd be better off getting a new FZ6 and paying the premium.

-Rear Frame $250
-Fuel Tank (Complete with Fuel Pump Assembly) $430
Personally, I'd just DING KING the Fuel Tank or leave it.
-Naked Headlamps $300 (Wrightme43 found a good setup)

None of these figures include shipping or service. It looks like 1 month and a $1000.

Good luck.

PS- Prices based on this site for 2005 model.
Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for doing that Elm. That's some awesome information. It would be sweet to do a naked conversion.

Back