crash

zacbkennedy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey y'all hope all is well. Today after finishing my paint job 1-2 weeks ago i was on the way to the gym this morning hit something very slick in a turn and laid the baby down. Let me give you a little previous information my starter button (as in the one on the right handle) has been getting stuck for sometime. Another thing is I've always had a probably with my gears, they've always worked but sometimes i couldn't get it into neutral from another gear until i started it then i could move throughout the gears. So back to the story, after laying the bike down it slid for about 15ft on the pavement (thank god for frame sliders) then another 10ft or so on the grass/mud. I can't seem to get her to start now no click in the starter but my horn works. My flashers in the back turn on but don't flash (checked the fuses and none are popped). If theres anything else i can come up with ill be sure to add it. Any advice or feedback would be awesome don't have the money to take her to a shop but i do have experience working on cars and motorcycles nothing too intense.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How about the sidestand switch? Any chance that got messed up or disconnected?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear about the drop hope your ok

as far as the kill switch issue, it may be that the clutch interactive switch is defective, its a little micro switch on the underside of the lever, mine got sticky a year or so back and the bike would not start in gear with clutch pulled, a squirt of WD-40 fixed it
the other switch is down on the side stand , you might have pulled on the wiring and the connection is not right. you can maybe unplug and bridge the circuit to see if that gives you a start, not sure if these cabn both be unplugged at the switch or if you would need to go under the tank or into a side pod
as far as indicators it might be that the flasher unit has just been bounced and is now kaput, sorry thats all I can suggest

zacbkennedy

Reaction score
Visit site
nothing more than some bleeding knees and road rash on my ass lol. thanks for the quick response I'm done with the beaut for tonight. Ill attack her tomorrow thanks again for the awesome information. Knew this would be the perfect place to ask!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're almost okay! :eek:
In addition to the previous posts there are lots of things that will keep the bike from starting.
When you turn the key to on, do you here the fuel pump whine! If you don't then there's a possibility the kill/run/stop switch is either defective or in the off position.

There is also a lean angle switch.
Since you say the turn indicators light but don't blink I would check voltage at the battery. You should see 12.6 plus volts dc.

Your starter button should never stick. If it's stuck in the on position you could burn out your starter. If you have failure of a component it should be repair asap to prevent further possible issues.

Let us know if you hear the pump prime. :)

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're OK, Zack.

+1 on checking the stand switch.

If something was going funny with your starter switch before the spill, you might want to open the right hand switch housing. I had mine off this weekend and it seemd a bit open/unsealed. So I was thinking a spider or something could set up house in there. The kill switch is in the same housing.

Regarding the shifter, you might already know this, but please consider lubing the pivot points. One evening I had lots of troulbe getting it to downshift. Then I found a post, lubed the pivots, and it's been great ever since.

Good luck,
Chris

zacbkennedy

Reaction score
Visit site
the fuel pump works, i do get the whine of the pump priming. lubing up the pivot points now! awesome! so is the lean switch the same thing as the kickstand switch? thanks to all of you who has helped so far, i was running a little blind lol

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think it is zach, the side stand switch should be located at the pivot of the stand. Someone else chime in on the location of the lean angle switch. I never messed with that.

But you say you have had on/off switch problems for a while? Does your starter engage?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
The lean angle switch should be located under the right side (right as in - facing forward sitting on the bike) rear pod, just undo the allen bolt under the seat and pop it off

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
The lean angle switch should be located under the right side (right as in - facing forward sitting on the bike) rear pod, just undo the allen bolt under the seat and pop it off

Beat me to it. I was about to suggest in the tail. That's where it was on my 125 which I laid down on the way to my test a couple years ago.

With regards to your indicators. Again, when I laid down my 125 (it was a yamaha). It took one of the indicators off, which meant the other just lit up (and I had the flasher on the dash stay on, not blink). If you have time and/or patience, you could try swapping the wires over to see if its that, if the other side blinks its a problem with something inside the bike, if it's the same problem then its to do with the indicators.

Does anyone follow or am I loosing myself in my train of thought here? :confused:

Either way, good that you're well and not (too) sore!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some simple tests to see if the starter circuit functions and give you a better idea of where the problem might be.

:Flash:Safety Note!: Make sure the bike is in neutral when doing these tests!:Flash:

The first test will be finding the blue with white tracer wire in the wire loom going to the starter button on your handle bars. Turn the key on and with a jumper, momentarily ground this wire to a screw anywhere on the frame or the engine. If the starter operates your starter your start button/switch is at fault.

If the starter does not operate lift the tank and on top of the battery is a relay
One heavy wire is attached to the battery and another heavy wire goes to the starter. There are two lighter gauge wires one is red with a white tracer and the other light gauge wire is blue with a white tracer. Again! Make sure the bike is in neutral. Turn the key to on. Momentarily jump the blue with white tracer to ground. The starter should engage unless the starter relay or starter are bad.

One other problem you can have is the starter interrupt circuitry. This is a safety circuit that looks at the clutch switch, side stand switch, and neutral switch and inhibits the starter from being engaged by the ECU if the correct logic is not present. It also tells the ECU when the side stand is being put down while the bike is in gear. This logic tells the ECU to stop fuel and spark.

So as many have contributed, Check:

Side stand switch
Clutch lever switch
Neutral light
Lean angle sensor

Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

Also: I'm moving this thread to the FZ6 electrical forum since we probably can't fix it with a hammer... :p

Last edited:

zacbkennedy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the move and the advice. Between class today I started to check out things (tore her down last night) checked the side stand took it apart and put back together, the connector was still in the right place. nothing seemed loose or out of place. Now to go through your checklist as well! It might be something with what you mentioned because I can't get her to neutral. It's also not the lean switch, she seemed perfect unless i don't know what to look for on it. (All three wires were in contact and seemed very tight, no jiggle or sign of being loose)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In regards to your starter switch sticking, i had the same issue where it was hard to make the circuit close. It was a case of the switch coming off its mount inside the housing, just open up the housing and it should be quite clear what's wrong if yours is like mine was. It is a bit of fiddling but really a 10 minute job and needed no new parts.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Visual inspection is not necessarily enough to confirm that any given switch is functional. If you can't get the bike to neutral (meaning you're trying to start it in gear), clutch switch has to be engaged for the bike to crank over, so I'd check that one out carefully.

zacbkennedy

Reaction score
Visit site
ladies and gentleman SHE LIVES!!! :reckon: lubed up the pivot point played with it for a while. let it sit over night. came back the next morning and got it in to neutral. then took apart the starter and got it to make the connection (plastic blocking the path) and finally gave the clutch button a little lube and she just started thanks to y'all!!!!:cheer::Flip::cheer: