Crappy LED front turn signals, need replacement suggestions...

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear FZ6 enthusiasts,

I just bought a used 2007 FZ6 - the bike is wonderful, however, the previous owner installed a set of flush-mount front LED turn signals. They are attached to steel brackets that bolt to the backside of the front headlight fairing.

Long story short, they suck - you can barely see them flashing. I want to replace these with something more visible. Any suggestions? Anything cheap/good on Ebay?

Just curious...

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear FZ6 enthusiasts,

I just bought a used 2007 FZ6 - the bike is wonderful, however, the previous owner installed a set of flush-mount front LED turn signals. They are attached to steel brackets that bolt to the backside of the front headlight fairing.

Long story short, they suck - you can barely see them flashing. I want to replace these with something more visible. Any suggestions? Anything cheap/good on Ebay?

Just curious...

I have these in the black/clear lens flavor. I have them on the front and rear, and I really like them.

They use regular filament bulbs (not LEDs) and are bright and easy to see. The only problem I have found is that the bulbs are hard to find, so if one goes out, you might be looking for a while. I ended up ordering a bunch of bulbs just in case one went out.

Edit: Pretty sure if you get the ones with the amber lens, the website I bought the signals from (motorcycle-superstore.com) actually has the correct bulbs that go with them. They wouldn't have worked for mine, though, since the bulbs that motorcycle-superstore has in stock are the clear bulbs.

Last edited:

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, here's what I did...

I found the Custom LED, Custom LED: Motorcycle Light, Tail Light, Blinker, Flasher Relay, Load Equalizer, website from another post, and I purchased their:

Electronic LED Flasher Relay
ELFR-1_FULL.jpg

"Magic Blinker" 2-wire Running Light/Turn Signal converter
MBLINK_Small_wbg.jpg

And finally, I purchased a set of inexpensive clear LED's from EBay
ViewImage.aspx

I will use the magic blinker to convert these LED's to running light/signal combos.

Problem solved!

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these in the black/clear lens flavor. I have them on the front and rear, and I really like them.

They use regular filament bulbs (not LEDs) and are bright and easy to see. The only problem I have found is that the bulbs are hard to find, so if one goes out, you might be looking for a while. I ended up ordering a bunch of bulbs just in case one went out.

Edit: Pretty sure if you get the ones with the amber lens, the website I bought the signals from (motorcycle-superstore.com) actually has the correct bulbs that go with them. They wouldn't have worked for mine, though, since the bulbs that motorcycle-superstore has in stock are the clear bulbs.

Funny thing, I have had these exact same lights sitting uninstalled since i had my last bike and haven't gotten around to putting them on the FZ6 yet. Glad to hear that they actually are bright enough. Even during the daytime?

If I installed them and found that they weren't bright enough for my taste, I was going to mod them. Found this site and was going to try to install :

Superflux 4-Chip LEDs
696.jpg

Judging from the customer pics, these seem ridiculously bright!! Check out the "action shots" to check em out. One for each signal should do and they seem fairly easy to install. Maybe I'll give it a shot!

Anyone have any experience with the company Oznium or these specific LEDs?

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
The company Oznium is a very good company. I get all my led's from them. If there is a problem with them all they do is send you new ones and thats it. A simple email gets you replacement leds.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
If I installed them and found that they weren't bright enough for my taste, I was going to mod them. Found this site and was going to try to install :

Superflux 4-Chip LEDs
696.jpg

Judging from the customer pics, these seem ridiculously bright!! Check out the "action shots" to check em out. One for each signal should do and they seem fairly easy to install. Maybe I'll give it a shot!

Anyone have any experience with the company Oznium or these specific LEDs?

I have a few of those LED's from Oznium, they are very bright for how small they are, but I wouldn't use them as signals - get THESE(I have the oval ones). They are crazy bright inside a signal housing - I had a couple of those LP flushies with the weird bulbs on my old bike and when one blew I replaced them with these and they worked great.

I wish someone who's done LED underlighting would do a detailed write up because I still have have all these LED's but can't decide where to mount them :(

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
@Kazza - I've heard of the Watsens before, but I dont see an option for an '05 FZ6. They look nice, but they are a little too pricey for me. Wish I could, though!

@ChemicalSmile - I guess great minds think alike! I was thinking of getting the straight bar flavor of the LED modules you linked and trying to put them on the front of my mirrors for more visibility to oncoming traffic. Hadn't thought of getting the circular one and putting it inside a flushmount case though. Good Idea!! Thanks!

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I have a few of those LED's from Oznium, they are very bright for how small they are, but I wouldn't use them as signals - get THESE(I have the oval ones). They are crazy bright inside a signal housing - I had a couple of those LP flushies with the weird bulbs on my old bike and when one blew I replaced them with these and they worked great.

I wish someone who's done LED underlighting would do a detailed write up because I still have have all these LED's but can't decide where to mount them :(

Check out boneman's site, he has some details on his setup. One of these days when I finish my install I'll take pics of the locations I used. Only installed LEDs in the front fender and under the seat for now, cant decide on where else to put them (no lower fairing).

philosopheriam

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE:

Just installed the new relay, magic blinkers, and LED front turn signals. All I have to say is WOW!!!! Everything works great!

I highly reccomend Custom LED - the new relay and magic blinkers are a superior way to get LED's to function correctly without adding resistors and relays for each turn signal.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got some night pics of my LED setup:

Did you have to split your headlight to put the running lights in? I'm looking at putting LED signals in the corners and putting the running lights in the headlight like you have done.

Stuck on the LEDs, Does anyone know if the $20 Ebay LEDs "14 superbright" type are any good? No point in putting them in if they don't increase visibility during the day.

I've looked at Rizoma Zero 11's but @ $36 a corner, they are a bit expensive.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Stuck on the LEDs, Does anyone know if the $20 Ebay LEDs "14 superbright" type are any good? No point in putting them in if they don't increase visibility during the day.

I don't know too much about the "14 superbright", but I will say this:

BEWARE OF AFTERMARKET EBAY CRAP !!!!!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know too much about the "14 superbright", but I will say this:

BEWARE OF AFTERMARKET EBAY CRAP !!!!!

Well ya, that is why I'm asking if anyone has used them. I am wary :) If I have to break down and spend $200 for a set of Rizomas then I will. But I'd rather spend $40 if these do the job.

HONDA CBR 600 900 1000 RR F4i Amber T5 LED TURN SIGNALS : eBay Motors (item 270563563071 end time Apr-17-10 11:11:12 PDT)

I bought the bike used. It currently has cheep bulb style lights. They work and look ok, but the housings are cracked and the front indicators rotate about due to the cracked housings. Got to replace them, don't want the same cheep housings. I also want to separate the running lights out so that there is more light available at all times. Putting the running lights in the head light housing looks good and fits my intentions.

Last edited:

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Not running lights, just the hazards and a fast trigger finger on the camera :p

The corner lights are in the "Pod Light" location, though I drilled it out a bit more to accept the stock turn signal size bulbs and harness (I want to say its an 1157?), so no need to crack the unit open. Theres a dozen or more threads on how to do the pod light install.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of replacing the turn signals. I have the stockers on the front on the '05 I've had for a month or so now. I'm not a fan of the flush mounts, because they don't show up well viewing the bike head-on. Anyone know where I could find some that look like the stockers on the Street/Speed Triples?

StreetTripleR_2010_gallery3L_1024x768.jpg

I could care less about LED...would frankly rather stay with traditional for simplicity.