Turn Signals Not Working - Please Help

mercmorrison

Reaction score
Visit site
Intro
Hello FZ6 Riders.

I recently purchased a 2007 FZ6 2 weeks ago and I'm fixing everything that needs fixing. One of the issues right now for safety and legal reasons is my turn signals are not working. They aren't functioning as running lights and not as turn signals. The left turn signal was original broken, exposed, and came into contact with water; I think that caused the issue.

The PO added some aftermarket lights so the wiring is modified. I am having a tough time identifying whats what.

Known Condition
* I saw them work, when I bought the bike. Now they do not.
* The turn signal controls do nothing when toggled. Turn signals are not toggled; gauges do not show the turn signal indicator.
* My rear turn signal lights do not stay on as they should as running lights
* I checked the turn signal fuse and its still intact.
* My rear led tail light still functions

Flasher Relay
I recently bought a TST Flasher relay. Its suppose to be plug and play but I don't see where it fits anywhere. Here is a link to the product on Amazon. Amazon.com: 2 Pin LED Flasher Relay for Honda Kawasaki Yamaha Suzuki (Gen 2) ZX6R ZX10R 600RR 1000RR R6 R1 F4i GSXR FZ6R: Automotive.
Is this plug for an FZ6R only? Is it different than a 2007 FZ6.

I attached an image of the current wiring setup. Greatly appreciate any insight anyone has to offer. I feel dirty, riding dirty

IMG_0414.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
Is the tail lamp and or front running lights working when you turn your key on? If no, you've blown a fuse. If yes then you have another problem. The flasher and running light are on the same fuse. The flasher relay is located at the front of your bike. If you have a fairing the flasher relay is mounted inside the fairing on the left hand side at the bottom. If you've replaced the relay you may have it reversed. The rear signal stalks only have 1 filament per bulb for directional signal and don't have a running light filament like the front stalks do. You could also have a defect flasher relay. Have you tried the original flasher relay to eliminate a possible faulty new one? :)

Last edited:

mercmorrison

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response Motogiro.

When the key is on, the front headlights work, and the rear tail light work. The front running lights do not and the rear running lights are not either. I've checked the turn signal fuse but it looked intact but I didn't look at the other ones. I'll check em out later today.

I have the half faired model 2007 FZ6, and I assumed the flasher relay was mounted behind the clutch side rear panel. The image shows that area of the wiring harness. I have not replaced anything yet. I have a replacement flasher relay but am trying to find out where to plug it. None of the plugs back there match the relay. Currently can't locate where the OEM flasher relay is back there, but if you say its in the front of the bike, I'll check there.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if the newer models are different, but on my 05, the flasher relay is located on the left side in the front under the fairing (contrary to the service manual). Also, my rear turn signals do not function as running lights, only the front ones do.

Start with the basics. Is the hot wire hot? Is the ground wire really grounded? Make sure the fuse is good. Most problems are simple. Be patient and thorough. Good luck and keep us informed of progress.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your headlamps should not come on until the engine has been started so your electrical may have been modified if you turn the key on and the headlamp comes on. There are no other running lights on a stock FZ6 at the rear except the tail light and the license plate light. When you turn your key on, without starting the engine, you should see the front running lights, the tail lamp and the license plate light come on. If the engine is not started the headlamps should be off until the engine has started. If you do not have any running lights and you have no flasher you may have blown a fuse. The blown fuse may be because something is wired incorrectly or there was a momentary short. If there are no running lights it may be because every filament that was a running light are broken and not working or the wiring is damaged or a plug is unplugged/damaged. Go back and check your fuses but remember if a fuse is blown you'll need to make sure you correct why it is blown. :)

mercmorrison

Reaction score
Visit site
@ trepetti. Thanks for the insight. I came across some bad information on the internet that said the flasher relay was in the rear fairing panel by the seat. The previous owner added LED aftermarket flush front turn signals, rear turn signals, and rear tail light. The rear tail light is non running and the turn signals did at one point. However both signaled when toggled.

@ Motogiro. You are correct. The headlamps only turn on when the bike has been started. As I mentioned above, the rear tail light has been modified to only turn on when breaking and signaling. Isn't it a legal requirement to have running rear tail lights. I gotta figure out whats up there. Just waiting for a day off and some good weather and I'll take dive in and take another look.

I should have enough information here to figure out whats going on. I'll report back in a few days after I've had time to tinker.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have aftermarket front directional's, 99% of them DO NOT HAVE RUNNING LIGHTS, IE ONE filament for flashing.

TWO wires coming out of that unit would confirm DIRECTIONALS ONLY..

As noted, the rear, stock "stalks" are directional's ONLY-perfectly legal.

mercmorrison

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay all. So I got my lights working now but only after resolving a few issues which I'll list below.

1) The 10 amp rear light fuse was burnt out. That solved my rear running light issue. I should have looked at that in the first place.

2) My flasher relay module was burnt out which caused the turn signals to not work. I found the flasher relay behind the front left fairing which was mentioned above in this post.
The TST Industries Flasher Relay fits perfectly. It's plug and play, fits in the OEM rubber mount, and works to resolve the flash rate problem with installing LED signals. Highly recommended. https://tstindustries.com/LED-Flasher-Relay-Gen2.html

An another note since we on this topic, if you're looking for LED replacements for your rear signals, I would not recommend these generic ones you find on Amazon and Ebay. Amazon.com: 4 X black Motorcycle Turn Signal led light for Yamaha YZF R1 R R6 R6S R FZ6 FZ1 FZ Suzuki Dr DRZ DR350 350 650 400 DL DRZ400 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 Ex 500 250 ZX6R ZX9R Honda CB CBR 600 rr f2 f4 f4i 600 400 929 954 1000 KTM: Automotive
Two of the Four lights, did not work, the wiring is thin, and the build quality is poor. You definitely get what you pay for with these lights. When I have to replace them, I'll pay more money for something that lasts.

Again, thanks for the help everyone. I'm very happy to be a part of this forum and join your ranks as an FZ6 rider.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay all. So I got my lights working now but only after resolving a few issues which I'll list below.

1) The 10 amp rear light fuse was burnt out. That solved my rear running light issue. I should have looked at that in the first place.

2) My flasher relay module was burnt out which caused the turn signals to not work. I found the flasher relay behind the front left fairing which was mentioned above in this post.
The TST Industries Flasher Relay fits perfectly. It's plug and play, fits in the OEM rubber mount, and works to resolve the flash rate problem with installing LED signals. Highly recommended. https://tstindustries.com/LED-Flasher-Relay-Gen2.html

The same fuse for your tail lamp/running light circiuit and plate light is the same fuse as your flasher. If you blow this fuse the tail light and flasher relay will not work....:)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The same fuse for your tail lamp/running light circiuit and plate light is the same fuse as your flasher. If you blow this fuse the tail light and flasher relay will not work....:)

Let us not forget that the top three fuel controller installation instructions has the owner/shop taping into the 10 Amp brake fuse to power the piggy back style fuel controllers.

I'm just saying, if you value your life, following the "installation instructions" provided by the fuel controller manufacturers may put you at risk!!! The reason being that they instruct you to tap into the brake output circuit (brake light fused at 10 Amps) and use the brake light fuse to basically run your engine. Should that fuse open, you loose power!! Not Good. If that fuse opens it leaves you the rider at risk of being immobilized. Not to mention not having signals.

Point; tap in and fuse your controller from a switched source that is not powering other items!!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let us not forget that the top three fuel controller installation instructions has the owner/shop taping into the 10 Amp brake fuse to power the piggy back style fuel controllers.

I'm just saying, if you value your life, following the "installation instructions" provided by the fuel controller manufacturers may put you at risk!!! The reason being that they instruct you to tap into the brake output circuit (brake light fused at 10 Amps) and use the brake light fuse to basically run your engine. Should that fuse open, you loose power!! Not Good. If that fuse opens it leaves you the rider at risk of being immobilized. Not to mention not having signals.

Point; tap in and fuse your controller from a switched source that is not powering other items!!

This works... its a fuse holder offering two outlets. One fuse protects the oem source and destination while the other powers a fuel controller.
IMG_0204_zpspobi6fk6.jpg

Altbough it is piggy back like device relying on the power source, well - everything relies on the source. But this offers a quick fused outlet.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I totally agree with this. You should avoid using this circuit (Brake/Running light) for any additional device. I am surprised they would suggest this as a power source.
[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] Randy where do we source those piggy back fuse inserts from?

Also I would use a lower fuse rating for the piggy backed fuse. For example if the original fuses circuit is 10 amp I would use maybe 5 amp and lower for the ancillary circuit etc.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bussman Fuse Block # BP/HHH-RP
IMG_0204_zpspobi6fk6.jpg

It takes an ATM style fuse like those on the bike. Amazoo has them for $7.00 using PN above.

The wire feeding the tail light fuse is nearly twice the strand count (size) of the outbound wire to the brake light. It is a good choice for power IF DONE properly.
I used it to power the Bazzaz fuel controller and data logger. Hint that also heats a wide band O2 sensor... its been on there a year and no issues so far. Plus it fits under the pod. Just apply dielectric grease as the cover will not close.

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]