LED Turn Signal Burn Out

arronjackson

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey forum,

Wondering if I'm having bad luck or an electrical issue. A couple years ago I installed the Competition Werkes integrated rear turn signals. It lasted a few months before some of the LED's burnt out and then I experienced hyperflash. I replaced it and the replacement lasted nearly a year and then some of the LED's burnt out while the turn signal timing remained "normal".

I then replaced it with the Motodynamic rear integrated tail light which functions properly. I then installed some LED front turn signals as well as a "LF1-S-Pin Max 150W" flasher relay which prevented hyperflash but only at idle. A month after that some of the LED's in one of the turn signals burnt out.

I now have a replacement for the front turn signals but I hesitate to install them if there is an electrical issue that will just cause them to burn out again. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of that stuff is imported crap. For what's it's worth I've used a few of those ebay specials in the past and most people told be they couldn't been seen. I've since gone back to good old incandescent fixtures and, low and behold, my signals are visible.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It almost sounds like you're experiencing a voltage spike. Many solid state devices have spike protection. Many do not merit protection and if there is a momentary spike, solid state devices like LEDs can fail instantly. There are components like MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors) That can act as a spike suppressor. The MOV in a sense short circuits current during a spike period. These spikes are often so short you won't see them with a standard voltmeter. You might see it with and oscilloscope but that's a little hard to ride and watch while riding. Unless you're recording with an event recorder which may be beyond our scope as an analytical tool.

Sometimes it is cheaply made inferior components but you seem to be experiencing multiple LED component failure. First I would check the obvious things that might cause spiking. Connections at the battery are the first spot to look. They should be clean/bright and secure. The regulator/rectifier may have an issue and if there is an intermittent battery connection it may be the trigger that cause a spike that can damage the LEDs.

Also check the regulator/rectifier plug to see that the pin are not burnt and/or making intermittent contact...

Last edited: