Crank Case/ Headlight Mole

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
So about a month ago I hit a patch of gravel and dumped the bike...(first outta the way hopefully!) I cracked a side cover, the headlight mole, and the crank case cover. All of which were a little scratched up from the previous owner, I just made them worse.

I replaced the mole and the side cover without a hitch. Except that the mole isn't exactly sitting in its spot well (I think from the two dumps, me and the previous owner, that somethings bent) and don't really know what to do with that.

Then there's the crank case, which I can replace, at around $60.00 I've found (unless anyone knows better). I can paint it, but the paints almost as much as the part. Or I can use cheap paint just to see how it looks, then replace if it sucks. Also, if I take off the case is it sealed and filled with oil? Don't think so but not sure.

Thanks for any help guys!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I got lucky. When I dropped mine I managed to fix the mole with a "Share the Road"reflective decal and fixed the cover with a black sharpie :):). I think your cover is a bit beyond that :(

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Not sure about the mole, but the cover should be easy. There is a gasket, but shouldn't have any oil in there. It is the stater cover, so it should be dry. I ordered a new one from cheapcycleparts.com to replace mine, should be here in the next week or so.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem as you did with the mole in the same spot couple of days ago, first make sure that none of the hooks are broken on the mole and on the main fearing. It took me a couple of tries to get it right but it eventually went in right keep trying and remember about the 2 screws on the mole as that was my problem at first :spank: . if all else fails you could try duct tape and a hammer :ban:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
....There is a gasket, but shouldn't have any oil in there....

Just a heads-up; There is oil in this compartment. I have heard that you can replace the cover without draining the oil but, as recommended by the manual, I drained the oil before removing the cover.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not true - the whole thing is bathed in oil. The starter gears need lube and the stator gets cooled by the oil.

Chances are you can reuse the o-ring seal but I'd have a new one handy as I hate doing the same job twice for something like a slow drip oil leak.

Read the service manual at page 217 (2007 manual) GENERATOR AND STARTER CLUTCH.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not true - the whole thing is bathed in oil. The starter gears need lube and the stator gets cooled by the oil.

Chances are you can reuse the o-ring seal but I'd have a new one handy as I hate doing the same job twice for something like a slow drip oil leak.

:confused:

Looks like this was in response to my post...but I agreed!:thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
If you let the bike cool, there will be oil in there but nothing you can't clean with a rag. None should drain out either. But my bike was stone cold and sitting on the center stand.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The yamaha service manual is for guys in the shop. The bike will almost always be hot when they work on it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

:confused:

Looks like this was in response to my post...but I agreed!:thumbup:

Response was to OP. We chimed in at the same time. :D

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, this will definitely help when I stop procrastinating and get on it!

vi veri veniversum vivus vici

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the entire fairing appears crooked when on the center stand, the main fairing support (it uses 2 bolts bolted to the steering head) is bent. It doesn't take much to bend it if the bike is dropped.

The fairing has to come off to replace it but isn't that difficult with some basic tools and a couple of hours.

If you sit on the bike, on the centerstand, look forward and compare each side of the fairing/mirrors, etc. If its bent you'll see it crooked, one side higher than the other.. If bent bad, it'd affect how the fairing/cowl/etc bolts up/lines up..

You'll likely need a torx screw set and hand impact hammer to remove the generator from inside the cover too. Its sometimes a PIA as they use alot of thread lock on the screws....

Good luck

Last edited: