Could this muffler be mounted up?

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
You buying one or two of them? Make sure they are mounted securely to the tail or it will vibrate itself to bits!

onyx_riddle

Reaction score
Visit site
You buying one or two of them? Make sure they are mounted securely to the tail or it will vibrate itself to bits!
Yeah this is what I got.

2 BLUE CARBON FIBER MUFFLERS & SILENCER TITANIUM TIP : eBay Motors (item 260395062464 end time Apr-11-10 21:37:00 PDT)

I may have to cut the cans and re rivet them but I am doing an r1 tail swap as well so I may have enough room.. Haven't got all my parts in yet so I have zero measurements other than the cans side by side SHOULD be about the same size as the stock muffler.. just a little bit taller... I have a lot of work to do.. wish my parts were in..

As far as mounting them, yes they will be secure in there. :)

Onyx

P.S. ... I realize that the tips on these cans are MASSIVE compared to say devil cans.. but they are 4 inch so.. well they should fit and after shipping i got a pair for 60 bucks.. looks like installing them will cost me about 100$ so i have a custom exhaust with carbon fiber cans for 160..
I just wanted something louder and something that would set off my tail swap. This should do the trick :)

onyx_riddle

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so here's the deal.. I'm broke... I managed to get the right muffler installed and mounted and the tail swapped on and somewhat mounted up (its fully rideable now, just not sturdy enough to be called "done")
I got the parts in and I have them half-assed installed. Everything is on and works.. it's just not "final"
Plus I cant decide on paint yet. That slows things down. My fairings are still drying from plastifix right now so all that has to wait.

Hopefully next weekend I can have the other pipe welded up and order the rear seat cowl

here are the pictures.. There's just too many to post them all here

tail swap pictures by onyx_riddle - Photobucket

onyx

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so here's the deal.. I'm broke... I managed to get the right muffler installed and mounted and the tail swapped on and somewhat mounted up (its fully rideable now, just not sturdy enough to be called "done")
I got the parts in and I have them half-assed installed. Everything is on and works.. it's just not "final"
Plus I cant decide on paint yet. That slows things down. My fairings are still drying from plastifix right now so all that has to wait.

Hopefully next weekend I can have the other pipe welded up and order the rear seat cowl

here are the pictures.. There's just too many to post them all here

tail swap pictures by onyx_riddle - Photobucket

onyx
Wow! Looks awesome. People used to put an R6 tail onto the bike I rode last and it just didn't fit. The R1 tail really flows with the lines of the bike. Nice job :thumbup: What colour you gonna paint? Did you have to cut the old subframe off frame & weld the new one on? Or was it a bolt on? If it was a cut & weld job, you may have invalidated any insurance claim you make. That's what someone else was told who crashed his GPZ500S with R6 rear end.

Now we want a vid of those cans running to hear how they sound! :D

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it's going to shape up nicely. End product should definitely be intersting! What part of Arkansas are you from onyx? I'd love to see the finished product in person.

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Looks awesome. People used to put an R6 tail onto the bike I rode last and it just didn't fit. The R1 tail really flows with the lines of the bike. Nice job :thumbup: What colour you gonna paint? Did you have to cut the old subframe off frame & weld the new one on? Or was it a bolt on? If it was a cut & weld job, you may have invalidated any insurance claim you make. That's what someone else was told who crashed his GPZ500S with R6 rear end.

Now we want a vid of those cans running to hear how they sound! :D

Also interested in this. I was actually pricing R1 tail stuff a while back when I saw the French guy convert his. With a little ebay scouring its not that expensive, of course depending on how it mounts exactly it could be a lot cheaper. There is a French company that makes an R1 tail for the FZ6 but it is a race tail, no lights or pillion seat.

onyx_riddle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Piggott Ar. I will get pictures up of what I have done so far. I have to weld up a couple of mounting tabs to get it just right. right now there are 4 actual secure spots holding the fairing/seat setup on. I made the seat permanent to the fairing because it just wouldn't tuck up enough to look decent any other way. I will get a couple of video links up today so i can show you my current results.

STOCK SUBFRAME :)

http://www.crazymoto.net/index.php?showtopic=383714&st=200

Halfway through that page, the guy gives pictures of his subframe. I noticed two things. It's steel and not that extremely modified.
However, he had raised the mounts which lifted the tail and I wanted mine flatter.

It looked uncomfortable as some have pointed out. My basic idea after that I saw those pictures was simply : "Adapt as many mounting points as possible and weld in a couple more to make it fit as if it's stock"

The tail slips right on after you do a little moving of wiring/ components. (had to move the tip over sensor to under the tank along with the fuse box. It's fully functional right now because it is QUITE strong.. but I want 3 secure mounting tabs on each side. I also plan to sturdy up the seat. I will get all this pointed out in the videos.

Stay tuned :) I'm glad people don't think its crummy... I wanted it to turn out somewhat professional looking but it seemed once i trimmed the tail and bolted the taillight on it really took away from it.. (that is somewhat temporary, btw)

Thanks again :)

Onyx

Last edited:

onyx_riddle

Reaction score
Visit site
Of all my gadgetry I can't seem to find one toy to record a digital video. I'm gonna run up to where my wife works and grab her camera. I'll have youtube links in an hour. Thanks for everyone's interest!

Onyx

onyx_riddle

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3ayE63PWk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3ayE63PWk[/ame] tail swap

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoLCKkaCMSk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoLCKkaCMSk[/ame] Exhaust sound

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome:thumbup: That helps a ton. The only thing I would worry about with cutting off that front 1/4" would be if it is hollow, you might need to make a little edge for it so there isn't a hole there for wind to go in, might get that "blowing in a coke bottle" effect.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol. I swear that in the last vid, your exhaust was so hardcore it made the number-plate move. And probably the bowels of everyone within a mile radius! :BLAA:

Really cool mate!

onyx_riddle

Reaction score
Visit site
I do plan on getting a pc3 asap. As I said I kind of ran out of $$. I have to park the bike anyway because it needs tires pretty bad and I have no self control.
I used to be able to get all sorts of goodies at cost (koso gauges, dynojet upgrades [like power commander])
But now, Like everyone else, I don't have the luxury of ordering things at wholesale price anymore... At least I still get tires at cost.. Continental and Bridgestone....

Oh and thanks, bud!! It doesn't quite ring out the higher notes passed 11k like i had hoped for but it is definably louder :). I am thinking about cutting the exhaust just a hair when I get the y put in.. that way i can move it all up just a bit.. it sticks out just a little too far for my tastes.. we'll see.

Ill update the page once I get some more money for the project.

Thanks everyone who has replied!!

Onyx

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Only issue i could forsee is the day your at a light and a honda jazz rolls up next to you with the same pipe :spank:

onyx_riddle

Reaction score
Visit site
Only issue i could forsee is the day your at a light and a honda jazz rolls up next to you with the same pipe :spank:

Yeah its not something I'm looking forward to. But I do have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. In the last year the bike has sat a LOT. Its sat long enough that its made me hate the flat orientation. I've had the license plate "mounted" to the passenger peg for a while now. Now that its time to finish, it barely fits. I dont like that at all. Then again, I could take this opportunity to re-create my design. Theres an Orange fz on here with a well done "wasp" tail. It's beautiful. Its making me want to sell my parts and do this the way I sat out to do and erase all the cut corners. Idk I think ill finish it up first. That way if i do plan to sell the mods, at least the picture will reflect art, not mediocrity.