Senior Design: Design and Build a Trailer to be Pulled Behind a FZ6

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll have to excuse my noobiness, but won't the single wheel mean that if you come to a stop and its not balanced all that weight at the back will just pull the bike over, and you probably won't have the leverage to keep it up? That being said I'm not sure what your weight numbers mean cause we use metric here, but I'm assuming your talking about 75kg weight all up?
I know you said something about it before I didn't understand :(
You also mentioned no braking while leaning, wouldn't this be an issue?

Looks awesome otherwise!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll have to excuse my noobiness, but won't the single wheel mean that if you come to a stop and its not balanced all that weight at the back will just pull the bike over, and you probably won't have the leverage to keep it up? That being said I'm not sure what your weight numbers mean cause we use metric here, but I'm assuming your talking about 75kg weight all up?
I know you said something about it before I didn't understand :(
You also mentioned no braking while leaning, wouldn't this be an issue?

Looks awesome otherwise!

Yes, when I come to a stop it will require me to balance it as well. However it lean with the bike, so this only means I am balancing an extra 200 lbs tops. Which is the same as having a large passenger on board. Will not be too big an issue. Both feet will need to be on the ground instead of one.

No braking while leaning is not an issue. The only time braking really is applied during braking is in a trail brake situation. When pulling a trailer, a different riding still is required, one that requires the rider to be smoother and look further ahead to avoid sudden movements. Same rules that apply when pulling a trailer behind a truck basically. YouTube the UniGo trailers and this should give you an idea.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So the bike modifications have started.

Between yesterday and today I have now have the harness made and connected to the motorcycle that will connect to the trailer for its lights. In addition I have rewired and installed the AirHorn as I was having some issues with it.

Due to the ice/snow today I was unable to get to Ohlin's and pick up the suspension components needed. However, all the other parts, chain/sprokets, head bearings, etc have been ordered and should be in around Christmas time.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so just an update on the progress over the winter break.

Parts have been slow to come in and due to some communication issues, it looks as though the bike will not be complete for another week at least.

However at this time I do have the Ohlins rear shock mounted and I have made the harness for the trailer lights.

The bike has been apart and cleaned very well while down.

My Acuman DGV arrived and I will be picking it up/installing it tomorrow.

Tuesday, I will be hopefully taking the bike to get the valves adjusted and then picking up my parts that evening. With Wednesday set aside to do as much work as possible.

I am waiting for my stator to be returned from Custom Rewind as we are experimenting with different wire thickness and type to increase the stators output. The first attempt actually lowered the power of the stator, so we shall see what the next attempt does.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so most everything is done on the bike. However this weekend I am going home to hopefully install the new countershaft sproket and put on the new chain. In addition I will be setting the preload for the front and rear of the bike. Once completed a test ride will be inorder, no matter how cold!

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea Im looking forward to it! Going to be a bit chilly tomorrow afternoon, but I really could careless. Im going for a ride!

-bryan

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The first time I applied the front brake after putting in straight rate springs was a big revelation..... it was so much more predictible. You squeeze the lever X hard, the front dives Y amount. 2X, 2Y. Muuuuucchhhh better.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The first time I applied the front brake after putting in straight rate springs was a big revelation..... it was so much more predictible. You squeeze the lever X hard, the front dives Y amount. 2X, 2Y. Muuuuucchhhh better.

Haha! Nice comparison.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Well its all done, except for adding the diode to the gear indicator and replace a busted fork seal that I damaged putting in... but its all done (the bike that is)

WOW! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!

I went up one tooth in the rear sproket and that was all the bike needed to be perfect in my book. Its nothing exreme, just enough to make accel a little harder and make roll on at speed a little quicker.

The suspension! OMG what a difference! The springs with the emulators make the front end a bit harsh. So I will be taking a half turn out of the emulators and droping the oil weight down to 10 and I think it will be nice. I am still playing with the adjustment on the rear end, but I am getting much closer! The bike just plants itself to the road! So NICE!

Now if only this warm weather would stick around...

-bryan

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Third wheel trailers uses this idea and it seems to work for them, but the dynamics scares me a bit to be honest. My original idea was to mount to the swing arm but then decided against that.

I too fear the amount of weight he is talking about, (with only one trailer wheel), will adversely affect handling. Irregardless of where you mount to the bike, I personally would prefer a two-wheeled trailer for stability and handling. JMO Good luck!

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Don't do this with your trailer

Don't do this once you get your trailer.

(From my hometown newspaper...)

Man wrecks motorcycle - Washington Greene PA Most Read News - www.observer-reporter.com

A Beaver Falls man escaped serious injury when he crashed his motorcycle early Tuesday on snow-covered Interstate 79 north near the Houston exit in North Strabane Township.

David A. Petrun, 56, was driving his Honda Goldwing GL1800 pulling a trailer about 4:45 a.m. during a period of heavy snow. State police said he was going about 15 mph in the right lane of travel.

Police said Petrun lost control of his bike when another vehicle passed him, spraying slush and snow that covered the visor on his helmet and the windshield of the bike.

Petrun tried to pull onto the berm of the highway when he was thrown off his motorcycle, landing on the berm.

A tractor-trailer driven by Jay V. Travis, 44, of Avella, slowed and swerved to the left, going partially into left lane to avoid Petrun and his motorcycle, police said.

A rig driven by Arlis W. Hutton, 55, of Jeannette, also was traveling in the northbound lane. He slowed but his rig crashed into Travis' tractor-trailer. Travis was able to come to a stop in the right lane.

Petrun's motorcycle and trailer ended up partially under the trailer of Travis' rig. Petrun refused treatment for minor back pain. State police said that Petrun will face a number of traffic citations.

It was during a storm where they got several inches of snow.... I have no idea why he thought it was okay to be out on the highway on a motorcycle, towing a trailer!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Don't do this with your trailer

I know it has been a while since my last post. But the trailer is almost done!

Just bolted up the swing arm, shock and rear tire a few moments ago. I have been adding photos on Facebook of the progress. All that is left now is to mount the hitch up, apply some paint and go for a test ride!

Bryan McCrary's Photos - Senior Design Stuff | Facebook

Enjoy!

-bryan

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've been patiently waiting to see the update; this is looking better and better. I like how you can alter what you carry on the trailer chassis. You could easily add pockets on the outer rails to hold walls, similar to a stake bed on a pickup truck. Extremely versatile.

What sort of load was the Ohlins for the trailer spec'd for? I remember < 200 lbs, or some such?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been patiently waiting to see the update; this is looking better and better. I like how you can alter what you carry on the trailer chassis. You could easily add pockets on the outer rails to hold walls, similar to a stake bed on a pickup truck. Extremely versatile.

What sort of load was the Ohlins for the trailer spec'd for? I remember < 200 lbs, or some such?

Spot on! As we started building the trailer we came to realize that this could be very versatile trailer. Planning on adding some sort of strap points at a later time.

The shock is for a CRF 50. but has been valved and sprung for the adults that race them in the pit bike races. Heavier spring, different valving set up, etc. So yea a bit over 200 lbs. I have the option to go to a heavier spring and change the valving if need be later.