Completely screwed!!

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I have found on Ebay a company that lists the FZ6 and has a 'virgin' ECU which means I can put it in the bike and start it with the red key and it will code the locks that I have to the ECU

It is £180 for a 'used' unit that they have fettled to be a virgin ECU and they guarantee it will work.

I had hoped to get a reply out of Yamaha by now either saying they will cover the cost or F**k off- an answer either way would allow me to move on from this and I am losing good biking trips while it is off the road

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have found on Ebay a company that lists the FZ6 and has a 'virgin' ECU which means I can put it in the bike and start it with the red key and it will code the locks that I have to the ECU

It is £180 for a 'used' unit that they have fettled to be a virgin ECU and they guarantee it will work.

I had hoped to get a reply out of Yamaha by now either saying they will cover the cost or F**k off- an answer either way would allow me to move on from this and I am losing good biking trips while it is off the road

That's great! Hope it all works out for you either way. Maybe you're not so screwed after all! :)

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I have sent another email to yamaha and asked for an answer but it is a bank holiday here today so not expecting an answer until tomorrow

Shame I had a bike ride planned for Friday and the forecast is good.... will have to borrow the lads Blackbird I suppose...........

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
dolau, can you take a couple of close up pictures of the connector and ECM? Is it actually missing conductors?

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
DSCF3236.jpg

Not a good picture but you can see the corrosion in the bottom right hand corner and the missing pins corroded away

Mechanic has to try and get the corroded pins out of the loom plug so that can be re-used and I guess a load of silicone grease or something like it so it doesnt happen again

Yamaha wont contribute anything to the cost so hopefully I can get away with the second hand 'Virgin' ECO off Ebay- he is just checking his stock to see if he has the correct one!

So- dont know what the answer is- should we check the plug and ECU regularly for corrosion or just wait to see what happens? I havent heard of this before with anyone elses bike and there are a fair few FZ6's out there!

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
OEM ECU from a Yamaha dealer is £480 plus VAT so nearly £600 !!!!!!!

Mechanic has the pins out of the plug so just a second hand or virgin ECU to find to get the bike back on the road..... but he still has to find out if that was what was wrong with the radiator fan or that is something else ;(((

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OEM ECU from a Yamaha dealer is £480 plus VAT so nearly £600 !!!!!!!

Mechanic has the pins out of the plug so just a second hand or virgin ECU to find to get the bike back on the road..... but he still has to find out if that was what was wrong with the radiator fan or that is something else ;(((

On the plug there is a green with yellow tracer wire that provides a ground path for the fan relay coil through the ECU. The ECU operates this relay when the temperature sensor is at a specific value. That wire is the second pin in from the end. Which end and which row I don't know, but there is a good chance it's one of your corroded pins. Look at the corroded pins and see if one is to the green with a yellow tracer. Regardless when the pins are made right with a happy ECU you will know if the fan will work.

See attached: :)

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Just heard from the bike shop they have fitted the £170 'virgin' ECU and the bike is working again !!!!!!

Good news/Bad news...... he has tested the radiator fan- reason the bike went in the shop in the first place and it has died- still shouldnt need the radiator fan again this side of next spring so keep my eye out for a second hand on on Ebay as a new one is £300

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just heard from the bike shop they have fitted the £170 'virgin' ECU and the bike is working again !!!!!!

Good news/Bad news...... he has tested the radiator fan- reason the bike went in the shop in the first place and it has died- still shouldnt need the radiator fan again this side of next spring so keep my eye out for a second hand on on Ebay as a new one is £300

That's so great to hear! So now you've gone from "Completely Screwed" to "I need a fan"....:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So...... the apparent problem with the radiator fan that stopped the bike from starting has a completely different problem which will virtually scrap the bike. (Still have the problem with the radiator fan I guess)
:eek:
The mechanic has found the problem- there is corrosion in the plug connecting to the ECU and two pins on the ECU have corroded away and are shorting out the other pins. This is a three year old bike that has done 8000 miles- not a winter hack!

Mechanic says I need a new CPU and possible plug but worse that that I need a new ignition barrel and new set of keys coded to the ECU and the whole bike coded to the ECU as this is the brain of the bike- Estimated cost approaching £2000 :spank:

I dont have £2000 to spenjd on the bike and so would be grateful if anyone on here knows which years ECU's are compatible with my 2009 FZ6S2? I dont know if earlier versions or later vesions would be suitable and hopefully I can find one on EBAY as a set from a scrap donor bike.

The alternative seems to be scrapping my pride and joy and selling it off in bits (other than the ECU) and hope to make enough money to buy another bike

In the meantime- check under the tank to the rear near the shock absorber and see if any water has been getting in- not sure what to recommend then- unplug it and hope nothing breaks so you can vaseline the pins or leave it alone:stupidpc:
Can you post some picture mate?
Is your bike insured for TPFT if you know what I mean.....

Neil

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Never though about asking a electronic geek if he can do something about it. Maybe all you need to do is open the ECU and re weld some connector to it. I fixed a USB card like that once. My lap top took a dive on the ground and lay right on the USB card... like a toast with peanut butter on! LOL

If it was mine I'll try to fix it myself... The ECU is no good anyway... worth giving it a shot?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never though about asking a electronic geek if he can do something about it. Maybe all you need to do is open the ECU and re weld some connector to it. I fixed a USB card like that once. My lap top took a dive on the ground and lay right on the USB card... like a toast with peanut butter on! LOL

If it was mine I'll try to fix it myself... The ECU is no good anyway... worth giving it a shot?
We think too much alike - part of why I was looking for Macro Photos. . .

Glad its running and we'll keep our eyes peeled for a fan! Although I'd open that up too! < just sayin. . .

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I realise this is an old thread but I thought I might ressurect it, as it may be relevent to me. :)
Well my bike gave up the ghost yesterday, showing an ER-2 (ECU) fault, I was miles from home but luckily I have ANWB (AAA) coverage and got brought home. Hope it has nothing to do with my ECU and is simply a connector problem. It's now at the shop as I'm going back to the UK for a few days (uncles funeral) hope to hear more soon. This thread seemed a reasonably price way of replacing a ECU, only I have ABS which I believe is also dependant on the ECU :(

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that on both accounts Martin.... my condolences to family and friends.

As for the bike the first two steps would be to remove the inner fairing panel and disconnect both of the connectors seperating the ECU and gauge cluster. You can leave the battery connected for this, key off.
- Hit the start button. Unlikely, but if it roars to life its likely not the ECU rather something in the harness or gauge.
The next step is is to lift tank, pull the main 35 amp fuse and unbolt ECU, unplug harness and inspect the pins.

If green and decayed, likely your issue....

- I know you took it in already but that would be my path.

FWIW: water by itself if pretty harmless for the most part. Its the salt on the bike that turns to vapor from hot parts and rain that carries the salt water in that causes issues that created this thread. Most of the wiring and connectors are made of copper and brass and/or platted copper and brass which salt and oxygen can erode given enough time making that green hugh of decay.

A warning to those using engine cleaners.... some products have acids in them. Should they get into a comnector and NOT be neutralized they can damage electrical systems.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that on both accounts Martin.... my condolences to family and friends.

As for the bike the first two steps would be to remove the inner fairing panel and disconnect both of the connectors seperating the ECU and gauge cluster. You can leave the battery connected for this, key off.
- Hit the start button. Unlikely, but if it roars to life its likely not the ECU rather something in the harness or gauge.
The next step is is to lift tank, pull the main 35 amp fuse and unbolt ECU, unplug harness and inspect the pins.

If green and decayed, likely your issue....

- I know you took it in already but that would be my path.

FWIW: water by itself if pretty harmless for the most part. Its the salt on the bike that turns to vapor from hot parts and rain that carries the salt water in that causes issues that created this thread. Most of the wiring and connectors are made of copper and brass and/or platted copper and brass which salt and oxygen can erode given enough time making that green hugh of decay.

A warning to those using engine cleaners.... some products have acids in them. Should they get into a comnector and NOT be neutralized they can damage electrical systems.

Thanks Randy I'll take a look when I get back, if it's not simple to repair by the garage. I think the corossion has to do with me riding in the winter (salted roads) and living on the coast.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway the garage just started up the bike without any problems, they could still see the ER-2 in the memory (together with a whole bunch of error codes) but everything was working normal. Anyway I'm just going to ride it and see if anything goes wrong. The reason I didn't post earlier is because I kinda hoped something would show up. I'll let you know if anything happens :thumbup: