CO Adjustment on 05

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to tinker with the CO adjustment on my 05, but I cannot get into adjustment mode. I am thinking the FSM has an error or omission. Mine says to hold SELECT and RESET pressed while turning key on. When I do that, I go to DIAG mode, which jives with the manual. However, pressing SELECT should change to CO mode, but it does not. I can hold SELECT and RESET to select DIAG, then I can scroll through different tests.

Elsewhere in the manual, it says to disconnect the lead to the fuel pump, but that seems to be for DIAG mode.

I have not tried disconnecting the pump, and I recall somewhere that some models require a jumper in the wiring harness, but I thought tht was on the S2.

Also, what does "Be sure to set the CO density level to standard,and then adjust the exhaust gas volume." mean? I see nothing in the FSM about that setting.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
US based S1 and S2 are the same. Both need a jumper wire to ground to enable the option. Its a clear or white 6 conductor plug on the left side. 6 in one side, 5 out the other. Want to say its the F/I plug. May be mistaken.
I can reach through left frame rail, pull the black sealer plug, insert a wire without lifting tank.

You can add +15 or so before it impacts idle. At +25 you may need to add more idle air and reduce idle speed adjuster.

Do a search, should find threads on this. Many....

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did find a lot of older posts with broken links, but I think I figured it out. On the wiring diagram in the fsm there is connector 'D' with 6 wires in and 5 out. The missing wire is yellow with red tracer and goes to the ECU. I am guessing this is the right one but if I could get confirmation I'd feel better. I hate to be poking around.

Can anyone confirm or correct my assessment?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

torbeach

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are the instructions I was given by a Yamaha tech when I adjusted my CO setting.

Ground the yellow/red wire from the 6 wire fuel injector sub harness (under the fuel tank) then it will allow you to access the co adjustment. So turn the key off, push both buttons on the dash, then turn the key on "diag" should show up on the dash, then release and push them again and "co" should show up then you can use the two buttons, one to scroll from on section to the next and the other button to adjust.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So... I used a PosiTap to grab the Yellow/Red wire and put in a permanent ground connection. Worked like a charm.

Got into CO adjustment mode and found C1 at 15 and C2 at 6. Curious about the big difference, still researching that part. But I added 5 to each, making it 20 and 11, and brought the idle back up to 1320 and it is like a different bike! The most noticeable difference, downshifting for a turn, the bike used to be really jerky trying to get back onto that 'maintenance' throttle you carry into the corner. After the adjustment the only jerk on the bike is the rider Blah.

Have a lot more testing to do, but initial results are terrific.