Diag / Co ???

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
We're trying to find out why the Missus Fazer keeps cutting out.

It was at our local shop for repairs recently and they said it was a wiring issue (the bike has done just over 90,000 miles!). They claim to have fixed it, but the problem is back.

She was doing an oil change this morning and it ran fine to warm to oil up, but now 20 minutes later and the fuel pump won't prime when the key is turned. The motor turns over, but doesn't fire.

I've gone into the diag. mode to see if anything comes up, but when pressing select the message just alternates between 'Diag' and 'Co'.

Any idea what 'Co' means??

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if you hold down one of the buttons it will let you enter the selected mode i think

though i don't know what all the diag modes are for, i got a bit scared when it started continually repriming my fuel pump :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You probably have a bad kill switch......Jump the two wires going to the switch and see if it will prime and start. It could also be the wiring going to the kill switch. :D

Edit: Duh!!! didn't read the part that it cranks over....

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi nooj,
is the fuel gauge flashing 8 times and then pausing for 3 seconds?

nelly

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it a way to change the air/fuel ratios

Yep! It gives you a very small amount of adjustment to the fuel delivery. I used it after adding my exhaust and syncing the throttle bodies. It's not as good as a PC, but good enough to smooth things out a bit. I doubt it'll help the OP much though.

I think you have to press the other button to choose "Diag". I'll have to look at mine to remember what it actually says. lol Anyways, from there you should be able to see any error codes. I wonder if the TPS is messed up. What year is your FZ?

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, it's a bit beyond my bike knowledge all this diagnostic computer stuff.

I did find the problem in the end. Debz got her service manual out and traced the issue back to the cut off relay. I had a look at it and noticed one of the crimps had come loose from the connector. Turns out it was the wrong crimp in there which is why it came loose.

It seems the official Yamaha workshop had cured the original intermittent cutting-out problem by replacing this crimp, but had used the wrong one and had put it in the connector upside down, so when they pushed the connector into the relay the crimp got pushed out of the back of the connector and was only just making contact.

So the bike works again now :)