Clutchless Shifiting

N Spec

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two questions. What RPM is best for clutchless shifting after 2nd gear? Can it be done safely at 5k Rpm?

The other question is that when I first started riding, I downshifted pretty early when I came to a stop. Sometimes I would reach 20 mph and and shift into 1st. It would either make a clunk/grind and/or stay in neutral. Is this bad for the tranny? As of recently I just wait til I come to amost a complete stop before I downshift to first.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two questions. What RPM is best for clutchless shifting after 2nd gear? Can it be done safely at 5k Rpm?

The other question is that when I first started riding, I downshifted pretty early when I came to a stop. Sometimes I would reach 20 mph and and shift into 1st. It would either make a clunk/grind and/or stay in neutral. Is this bad for the tranny? As of recently I just wait til I come to amost a complete stop before I downshift to first.

In my limited clutchless shifting experience, any RPM will do, the trick is to back off slightly with the throttle to unload the transmission and allow the shift. That said, it seems to get easier the higher the RPMs are.

Shifting to first is usually the last thing I do before putting my foot down at a stop, it's less of a driving gear and more of a 'to get you moving' gear. In slow traffic, I shift up to 2nd for better control and less 'hobby horse' action ;)

Grinding is never good, occasional clunking seems to be normal from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1, I do get a whining noise if I downshift too far for my speed - I think that's the trans trying to match the bike's speed, even though it's not engaged.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
5K works fine, I just give it a little extra throttle, preload, and cut it, works fine every time. Any time you shift into first there is a clunky feel or noise, they talk about it in reviews for the 6. I see it as a security blanket, you know it shifted and you know you're in first, it's reassuring and won't hurt it.