Clutch Slave Levers - I'm making them again

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, just chiming in to let you know I'm still here. I'll probably get started on this as a winter activity. I feel like this is probably the best time for you guys as well. I'll let you know when I get all the materials to start another run.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, just chiming in to let you know I'm still here. I'll probably get started on this as a winter activity. I feel like this is probably the best time for you guys as well. I'll let you know when I get all the materials to start another run.

hey I still have the bits but I'm heading OS in a few days so do you want me to send this by Tuesday next week or afterr Xmas New year? see my msg below from a few months back:

Hey KN, I was contacted by raja777m asking me to set aside my lever and bracket and send them to you for the mod. He will fix me up for the freight, the parts are a free "pass it on goodwill" deal, I am more than happy with that and hope other folk do the same.
anyway let me know your shipping address, I'll get them sent to you and include a note that they are on behalf of raja777m. Does this work for you?
cheers
adrian (agf)

fz6-Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Would it be possible to send the parts straight to you from the provider? i saw on this thread earlier you were accepting that but i just wanted to make sure it was still an option. Thanks!! looking forward to some decent friction zone!

- Daniel

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
looking forward to some decent friction zone!

When I got my motorcycle inspected back in June, the mechanic was treating me like a newb. He said, "Your clutch lever is adjusted badly, do you want me to work on it for you?" I'm like "No, it's fine and you can't do much anyways without moving the collar a spline down on the motor. I've owned this FZ6 since new in 2004 and I'm quite familiar with it."

He assumed that I apparently had no mechanical ability, without seeing that I changed the forks, brakes, swapped swingarms, installed a shock, heated grips, etc.... He also wanted to adjust my chain slack for me. :)

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting one of the few mods that I never had for the FZ6. Thanks KN

JimE

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a thread I started about a failing clutch cable (with pic's).

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...30-clutch-lever-hard-pull-fix.html#post630325

The original cable was ALWAYS lubed / maintained but they do wear out.

The new clutch cable makes it quite a bit easier to pull and the "zone" seems to be a bit wider as well..

Consider replacing the cable as it makes a very big difference, especially if higher mileage and / or not maintained with lower mileage...

Mine had NOT failed yet but would have easily within 6 months..

It's not that expensive and IMO, well worth the $.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
TowsendsFJR1300 - I've replaced the clutch cable on my FZ6. Agree that it is very easy to do. Another tip that I heard was that when you are replacing the cable, run a second one with it and tape the ends of it off. If you're ever in a spot where your clutch cable fails you've got a backup there and ready to go. Easy $20 insurance.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
TowsendsFJR1300 - I've replaced the clutch cable on my FZ6. Agree that it is very easy to do. Another tip that I heard was that when you are replacing the cable, run a second one with it and tape the ends of it off. If you're ever in a spot where your clutch cable fails you've got a backup there and ready to go. Easy $20 insurance.

Well, when I last did mine, (first time), I couldn't snake it thru without pulling the air box and partially the battery box. And it was still tight!!
I used a heavy wire to tape to each cable as the curves of the cable are a PIA.

I did post sometime ago about replacing the cable W/O pulling the box, but now, no....

Glad you got yours thru thou! Did you much of a difference between the two?

Any fraying from the old cable as was mine(about 23,000 miles-well maintained)?

Lopezius

Reaction score
Visit site

Just bought a 2008 FZ6 and I have to say I love it but I'm used to a 2 finger clutch, I hope you do another run. I'll be replacing the old cable as well to see if that helps.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a 2008 FZ6 and I have to say I love it but I'm used to a 2 finger clutch, I hope you do another run. I'll be replacing the old cable as well to see if that helps.

The new cable will definitely help but two fingers, un-less your the hulk, won't happen, just too much friction with a cable.

However, once rolling, clutch-less shifting is a piece of cake and if done right, sounds & rides like an automatic!

Lopezius

Reaction score
Visit site
The new cable will definitely help but two fingers, un-less your the hulk, won't happen, just too much friction with a cable.

However, once rolling, clutch-less shifting is a piece of cake and if done right, sounds & rides like an automatic!

I was able to two finger my old bike just fine with shorty levers, this clutch pull seems super heavy to me.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was able to two finger my old bike just fine with shorty levers, this clutch pull seems super heavy to me.

I don't know what your other bike was/is, but the FZ cable has two tight turns. A straight cable W/O those bends will be easier to pull.

The new cable will be easier, but being at about the limit (engine wise) until hydraulic clutches are used, STOCK it's not as light as a smaller bike, or one with straight cables.

For the FZ, especially with the somewhat shorter engagement zone, and the extra leverage of a regular lenth lever, I personally prefer the stock lever.
I can also shift faster (with the short throw) and easily get the bike rolling W/O any throttle (just messing around or in heavy stop and go traffic).

Hopefully your new cable will be light enough for you...

Plz post back how it feels with the new cable..

Lopezius

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what your other bike was/is, but the FZ cable has two tight turns. A straight cable W/O those bends will be easier to pull.

The new cable will be easier, but being at about the limit (engine wise) until hydraulic clutches are used, STOCK it's not as light as a smaller bike, or one with straight cables.

For the FZ, especially with the somewhat shorter engagement zone, and the extra leverage of a regular lenth lever, I personally prefer the stock lever.
I can also shift faster (with the short throw) and easily get the bike rolling W/O any throttle (just messing around or in heavy stop and go traffic).

Hopefully your new cable will be light enough for you...

Plz post back how it feels with the new cable..

Thanks, we'll see how it goes. Not expecting it to be super light but right now it's like squeezing one of those grip strengthening things lol. My forearn was on fire after riding it home.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, we'll see how it goes. Not expecting it to be super light but right now it's like squeezing one of those grip strengthening things lol. My forearn was on fire after riding it home.

There's something amiss with that cable, NO DOUBT.... The new one WILL be WAY BETTER..

Lube the new one before installing with just a touch of 30wt oil, especially at the top, tight bend...

And check for this:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...30-clutch-lever-hard-pull-fix.html#post630325

And my cable wasn't anywhere near as hard as yours...

Lopezius

Reaction score
Visit site
There's something amiss with that cable, NO DOUBT.... The new one WILL be WAY BETTER..

Lube the new one before installing with just a touch of 30wt oil, especially at the top, tight bend...

And check for this:

And my cable wasn't anywhere near as hard as yours...

Will do, I ordered the cable luber and some cable lube to use before I install it. Saw some walkthroughs on here about how to replace it, with pulling the tank and whatnot so hopefully I can pull it off without too much difficulty. If I run into any problems I know where to come to.