Clutch Slave Levers - I'm making them again

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, am I allowed to say that I told you so?:cheer: I wrote the first endorsement in this thread as one of the original adopters.

I had one on my 04 model a few years back :). That was before this forum existed I think! Loved it on that bike as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
KN, just a question for the next batch, but is there any reason you don't leave the c piece you weld on the guide open?

Just thinking it would make it easier to fit the rubber dust protector on the end of the clutch cable.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Rick

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
KN, just a question for the next batch, but is there any reason you don't leave the c piece you weld on the guide open?

Just thinking it would make it easier to fit the rubber dust protector on the end of the clutch cable.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Rick

I could probably do that. That would just take a little slit with an angle grinder to accomplish that after it is welded.

Is the dust boot hard to slip through the hole? Are you installing the cable through the hole with the hanger bolted to the bike or not? You can get a fair bit of slack and room to work if the hanger isn't already bolted to the bike.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I could probably do that. That would just take a little slit with an angle grinder to accomplish that after it is welded.

Is the dust boot hard to slip through the hole? Are you installing the cable through the hole with the hanger bolted to the bike or not? You can get a fair bit of slack and room to work if the hanger isn't already bolted to the bike.
A slot would the make installation easier. I know getting that dust boot through the hole was the hardest part of the install.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up taking the boot off then fed the cable through the new holder and worked the boot back over the nipple before bolting the bracket back on, but a slot would be ace

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Haven't tried putting the boot through the hole, yet, as I'm just about to start the install now!

But I know when I was stuffing around the other day, that the easiest way to put the cable back in the guide was via the slit.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Rick

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having trouble with the install, any help would be appreciated.

Did the install and adjusted the clutch cable. When i pull in the clutch, it won't spring back to it's original position, it just hangs limp. I actually have to use my fingers to flick it back to the original position. The spring is in it's correct place 'cause when i pull on the slave lever alone it springs back to it's original position.

Any ideas?

IMG_0001-3.jpg

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
KN Mod done - less than 10mins.

I had to run the bike to check it, it is now so easy!

I bought the 2wheels levers which improved the clutch pull immeasurably, and now the KN mod, on the third hole gives me a nice friction zone to go with the ease of movement.

Nice one KN!

Cheers,
Rick

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
KN Mod done - less than 10mins.

Say whaaat? How did you get away with not needing to adjust the mid cable? Or, DID you?!

NP Dre. There's a writeup on doing the mid cable somewhere here. The key point it made is to not waste your time trying to adjust with the air box in place. Pop it out, tape up intake, and adjust in.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since putting my 2Wheels levers on, I have had to use most of my top adjustment.

I just wound the top all the way in to get the cable out, and installed the KN lever and guide, and now I only have to adjust the top a turn or two.

The centre cable adjustment is all the way in, as it was when I bought the bike.

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've obviously got my stock bits KN, so if they're valuable to anyone, let me know!

Cheers.
Rick

P.S. Pics of the install!

WP_000217.jpg

WP_000218.jpg

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having trouble with the install, any help would be appreciated.

Did the install and adjusted the clutch cable. When i pull in the clutch, it won't spring back to it's original position, it just hangs limp. I actually have to use my fingers to flick it back to the original position. The spring is in it's correct place 'cause when i pull on the slave lever alone it springs back to it's original position.

Any ideas?

IMG_0001-3.jpg

I'm probably going to have to make a video on how to install the lever, because there are a few steps that are easy to miss and lead to a lever that is out of adjustment.

What is almost certainly wrong with yours is you put the lever on the wrong spline. If you don't take all the slack out of the cable, screw the handlebar adjustment all the way in, and rotate the shaft going into the transmission clockwise before you slide it onto the splines, you won't be able to adjust the lever at the bars and the lever will be slack.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would absolutely love a video, 'cause i'm still not clear on what you mean. I don't want to mess with the mid-cable adjustment if i don't have to.