clunck when stopping

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Hi there

I got a 2004 Fz6 two months ago and I am very happy with it. However, recently it started making a 'clunk' noise when stopping, usually at spends below 11mph. The mechanic thought it was something to do with the front breaks or the forks, but today I realized that as soon as I change gears to neutral the clunking stops.

Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Neos

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
...However, recently it started making a 'clunk' noise when stopping...

Hi Neos - I had a similar noise develop when my head bearing were on there out... Have you checked for play in your forks..? On my 2006 FZ6, the noise was coming from my forks clunking with the head tube.

If so, it may just require tightening - presuming your head bearing are fine.

I would check for play first if your mechanic has not done so already...

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Thanks V1Jay,
did the noise and the jerking stop when you switched to neutral? This is the oddity with mine.

Thanks

Neos

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Neos - to be honest i cannot remember as it was a while ago for me... I do remember it only really happened when applying the front brake at low speed [1st / 2nd..maybe 3rd]. Steering was also jerky/unstable when corning / around roundabouts...

I fixed my problem by replacing my Head Bearing with tapered roller bearing... re-tightened everything to spec and all was fine after that :) Touch wood - I have had no problems since. I'm no expert by far, so maybe someone else on the forum might be able to shed some light too your issue if its not your forks/steering head bearings..

Having said that, have you checked for play in your forks yet...? Just to rule this out, because if its not that, then its prolly something else... maybe one of your discs is not seated properly..? Loose break calliper...? :confused:

I also noticed, a short while after the knocking started, a brownish [mud like] water colour would leak from under my steering head [usually after washing the bike, and going for a ride]. It used to get all over my Radiator, and at first i would think i rode through a muddy puddle :confused:

To rule out you forks/head bearing - if you have a center stand - apply stand and slight pressure on rear to lift front wheel off the ground, may require two people. Try to rock your forks back and forth, there should be no knocking, loose feeling, nothing - should be solid as a rock.

You could also use a paddock stand and a triangle jack to prop your bike up, and check for play that way. Another way is too use a wall. Roll your bike upto a wall [front wheel first that is - sorry if i sound patronising]. With both hands on your handlebars, push back and forth to feel for play and or any looseness [sorry if this is a bad explanation]…:BLAA:

Failing that - i'm sure a more experienced member of the forum can assist, as i would be scratching my head from here on in...

Let us know either way my friend... cheers vj,

Last edited:

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Thanks again, I will have someone look into it this weekend. I'm riding from London-Lisbon in 2 weeks and want to get it sorted.

Best

Neos

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
......Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this before?

I would have to think this was steering neck bearings, as well. The clunk you describe is a distinct characteristic.

The reason you don't hear it when you are in neutral, is because the front and rear wheel are under very similar loads in that condition. They speed up and slow down in a very similar fashion.

With power to the back wheel, it's trying to push the front wheel (with the rest of the bike) everywhere. When you engage the front brake, the rear wheel continues to 'drive' the chassis forward. That levers the forks to and fro, and you can hear/feel the 'clunk' when they go through the gap between the bearings and the races. When you chop the throttle 'off', the back wheel drags compared to the rest of the frame and front wheel. You probably cannot feel the clunk then, but it's still there.....

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the last reply... I don't have one tiny 'mechanic' bone in me, so I can't agree or disagree. However, I just realized I had not mentioned the clunking noise can be heard even if the clutch is ON and the gears engaged. Once I kick it into neutral is when the noise stops. I think if the issue was the wheels not moving forward at the same speed, pushing the forks, this would not happen when the clutch is squeezed. Hence it feels like it could be a problem with the transmission.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
While it does sound like something in the head bearing, maybe check your chain tension as well.

And how are you getting it into N while moving? I never really go back to 1 even unless I'm almost stopped.

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Hi there,
the noise can be heard and the jerking felt on 1st gear but always at speeds below 11mph. I really can't remember now if I have noticed the same problem on 2nd gear... I'll check that out in the morning. The odd thing is that it only surfaces occasionally (1/3 of the time only) and N stops it immediately.

Cheers

N

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Hi there,
the noise can be heard and the jerking felt on 1st gear but always at speeds below 11mph. I really can't remember now if I have noticed the same problem on 2nd gear... I'll check that out in the morning. The odd thing is that it only surfaces occasionally (1/3 of the time only) and N stops it immediately.

Cheers

N

You may also need to check the condition of the rubber damper in the rear wheel hub.... if that is worn, you will hear/feel the sprocket assembly whacking into the wheel hub. (Item 8 in this diagram) The rubber piece is supposed to cushion the interface between the wheel and sprocket... if it is significantly worn, there might be metal to metal contact. This would be another potential 'clunk' type noise.

2004 Yamaha FZ600SS FZ6 OEM Parts, 2004 Yamaha FZ600SS FZ6 OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

Any way you look at it, ensuring you have the correct amount of slack in your final drive chain, making sure the chain is in good working order is in your best interests.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for the last reply... I don't have one tiny 'mechanic' bone in me, so I can't agree or disagree. However, I just realized I had not mentioned the clunking noise can be heard even if the clutch is ON and the gears engaged. Once I kick it into neutral is when the noise stops. I think if the issue was the wheels not moving forward at the same speed, pushing the forks, this would not happen when the clutch is squeezed. Hence it feels like it could be a problem with the transmission.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

When both wheels are 'coasting' you don't get the clunk, right? Usually, it occurs when you are slowing the front end of the bike with respect to the rest of it?

Remember, the entire fork and front wheel are supported by two bearings about 1 foot apart..... and they are being levered on by the contact patch of the front tire. If you look at the distance from the rubber hitting the street to the lower triple clamp holding the forks, that's almost 3 feet. A 3 foot long lever, prying against two bearings 1 foot apart means there is at minimum a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage. If you push the front wheel 'back' with 10 pounds of force, the bearings are 'feeling' 30 pounds.

Everything in the front suspension is built to absorb much more force than that..... but it has to be adjusted correctly to work as designed. Any amount of looseness at the bearings is 3 times more noticeable at the contact patch end. This is why elevating the front wheel off the ground, and trying to move the fork fore and aft will show any 'play'...... any play at all is a Very Bad Thing.

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
*** fixed ** *
and a tad embarrassing, the clutch needed adjustment which took the mechanic a whole 2.5 seconds.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and help.

Cheer

neos

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
*** fixed ** *
and a tad embarrassing, the clutch needed adjustment which took the mechanic a whole 2.5 seconds.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and help.

Cheer

neos

glad it wasnt anything serious!!

how did that contribute to the clunking?
i'm curious.