close your gas cap without the key...for free of course

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
heres an easy 5 minute mod that makes life just a little simpler. using a dremel, i shaved away just a few millimeters of aluminum from the inside of the latch. this is the finished product...the area cleared is pointed out
001.jpg

latch back in its place
002.jpg

make sure you cover your gas cap opening so nothing falls in the tank. also, when removing the bottom part of the cap, make sure you dont loose the loose rod that stands vertically in the assembly. now you can put your key back in the ignition and close your cap by simply pushing it closed.

this mod can be done on any make or model, but just requires the shaving in a different area. i have done this to all of my bikes over the years.

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fail to see where the problem is with just using the key :confused: You need it to open the cap & it stays there while your filling , close the cap pull the key out , pay for fuel & ride away... Did I get this all wrong ?? :don'tknow:

Having a hard time understanding WHY ???

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I paid extra to install two locking fuel caps on my van. But, thanks for the tip---some of us will probably do this mod.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why you sh ittin' on this guys mod? He likes it, thought he'd share...why be a dik? :confused:

Other people may be less inclined to post their ideas once they see they may be mocked...not cool. Remember this place 2 years ago. That sh it wouldn't fly

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I see the benefit in this mod...and I might do it some day.

A few benefits off the top: (1) you don't have to worry about the keys (I have a key for my top case, a key for my disc lock, and a bottle opener on my key chain) scratching your tank, (2) you can go open your top case while the pump fills your tank, and (3) you can turn your power on to reset your trip or do whatever else you need power for while you wait.

I find it annoying that I have to have the key in there to close it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I like the fact that I have a locking fuel cap. Less chance for fuel contamination by some joker, etc. I can sleep well at night that nobody siphoned or messed with my fuel. Bike may be gone, but fuel will be good.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm a little slow on this one (I didn't stop to think about your post). If I understand now, you still need your key to open, just not to close. There's still tank key access to first open the cap, right? Duh. I guess it's just like my locking van fuel caps: you only need the key to remove the cap and, afterwards, no key is needed. Do I understand?

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
stay with me guys..dont read words that arent there!

you still need your key to OPEN the cap. you just dont need it to CLOSE the cap.

this does two things: saves wear and tear on the key and lets you reset your trip meters while you fill up.

its just one more little thing to make life alittle easier. and besides, its an excuse to get out into the garage and tinker with the bike!:cheer:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Ruined all my dremel bits doing a home reno project....good excuse to go to the Hardware Store AND out to the garage and tinker on the bike! Thanks TJ for justifying 2 of my favourite places to go! :)

gav

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info on this little mod, I can see it being useful because I'm always worrying that my keys will scratch the tank whilst they're dangling in the lock.

Now all I need is a dremel.....

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info on this little mod, I can see it being useful because I'm always worrying that my keys will scratch the tank whilst they're dangling in the lock.

Yes I too am worried about keys scratching up the tank, that as well as I seem to be so flipping clumsy (especially if I still have my gloves on!) and am more than likely to snap the key off in the tank cap! :spank:

I managed to convince the missus we needed a Dremel for some DIY stuff we we're doing in the house. It turned out to be useless for the particular job - but now I have one for all my other garage tinkering! :rockon:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Tjhess74-

You DA man!!!

I've been wanting a dremel for years but just never got around to getting one.
I reckon this is a good enough reason.

Indeed a useful mod! :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing it.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That's why I don't keep any keys on the ring, other than my bike key (which would be in the tank lock) and my keyring is a soft rubber one (Rossi one, of course :))

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
did this mod to my zx6r, almost the same thing..i was gonna open the cup anyway to clean it cause it was a little sticky

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep a whole bunch of keys on mine.
Ignition,front disc lock,rear disc lock,secondary alarm,shed padlock key,chain key and key insurance boomarang. Oh and my Stig key ring.After all I don't want to miss lay them :thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep a whole bunch of keys on mine.
Ignition,front disc lock,rear disc lock,secondary alarm,shed padlock key,chain key and key insurance boomarang. Oh and my Stig key ring.After all I don't want to miss lay them :thumbup:
What, are YOU claiming to be the Stig? :eek: