Update, corrosion under gas cap

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I finally got around to taking my tank off, and I must shamefully admit that it was my first time lifting up the tank. I am the type of person who does all of my own work, until it came to the bike, since I ended up with a service plan, I have just left the maintenance to the dealer. I'm more than capable as long as I have access to the required equipment to do just about any type of work on cars, bikes, trucks, I've done plenty of work on different vehicles, just for whatever reason I haven't taken the bike apart yet, which is sort of like a right of passage to me. I guess I was too busy riding it. I have changed my own oil and cleaned/lubed/adjusted cables, chain, and have maintained tire pressures on my own still. I just haven't messed with the air filter or lifted the tank until now, which is unfortunate because I could have probably stalled a problem that I encountered underneath my gas cap.

Here's what it looked like when I noticed it (sorry the pics aren't that good):

watermark.php

watermark.php

As you can imagine, with my procrastination, it was much worse by the time I finally decided to make time to get it fixed. I decided to take the tank off and take it to my uncle who does street rods/painting/body work to have it fixed. So here's a couple of pics of what I encountered in the process:

I lift up the tank and notice this:
watermark.php

watermark.php

I relax the kink with my fingers and hear a splash. Then I notice this:

watermark.php

That's rusty water.

Here's a drip of it still coming out:

watermark.php

So, I believe that in conjunction with a paint defect, this blockage of the drain underneath the filler cap assy which allows for water/overflow/spilled gas to drain out caused the corrosion, rust, and pitting I experienced.

Here's another angle of the kink:

watermark.php

It's worse than what my dad's cheap camera makes it look like. It was really all the way pinched closed. This has to be because the service guy didn't pull down on the drain tubes after letting the tank back down when changing the air filter (yes I checked and it has been changed).

So, make sure you do this, or you will have to have your tank repaired.

Looks goofy:

watermark.php

Also, this is a terrible pic, but the screws are labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. What's it do? Am I going to need this when I sync the tb's? (I'm lazy) Also, I discussed syncing the tb's with my dad while I did this little project and I learned he owns a 4 port vac gage as required to do the job. I just have to find it in the garage (they've moved within the last year, so wish me luck)

watermark.php

Sorry I don't have any completed pictures right now, I'll have those this weekend when I put it all back together, but he took and used a sandblaster (after taping everything off) to clean the area up and used 2 coats of self etching primer, and then some glossy black over that to cover it all up. Then we put a little grease on the contact points between the tank and the filler assy. You can't tell once the filler cap assy is back on the tank. It should last a long time as well.

The last thing I did is adjusted the throttle cable down on the left hand side behind/in between the frame. The jerks at the dealer just ran the adjustment up on the handlebars right off the end of the threads when it was a little loose last time I had it in.

So, pull down on your tubes, so they don't get pinched, kinked, or likewise.

W

wrightme43

Thanks man, I just wiped grease in mine. LOL Its probably time to do it again.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man, I just wiped grease in mine. LOL Its probably time to do it again.

Yea, if you're not having any kink issues with the drain tubes hooked to the bottom of the tank you should be all right. But if you have some compressed air available and a little bit of time, you can take the cap assy off, takes 2 seconds, and blow air through the hole in my second picture that has the most rust around it. It's the upperish left hole in the picture. It's the drain for the indent area of the tank, it connects to a tube that goes through the tank, which a tube on the bottom of the tank connects to and goes down by the ground.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the heads up, will definitely double check the hoses and under the gas cap when I replace my air filter next week

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man.

I recently discovered the same problem on with my 2007 FZ6 (40000 km) also in the faster red.
I asked my dealer to take care of it with Yamaha Netherlands because of the warranty of 2 years on the Fazer.

I let you all know what will come out of it.

Ton

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally managed to run my first tank of gas down to the F-Trip on this new season and knew that I should check under the gas cap for what I expected to be the worst.

A quick 5 minute job to remove the top screws and the one under the cap, I pulled off the gas cover and found....

View attachment 26800

Whew, a-okay! :cheer:

Reminder, keep the kinks out of your vent lines and avoid a bad situation. I noted that an easy give-away is when you pop the gas cap, if you see wetting around the edges of the seat, you may just have a kinked or plugged line.

Check 'em. ;)