Aftermarket Gas Cap (pics)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
This is something I've been thinking about doing for a while, but just hadn't done it. Now that riding season has presented itself again, and thus putting gas in the bike again, I remembered how annoyed I used to get at having to remove the key to open the stock gas cap.

I looked around for options, but most cost $80-$100 and I just thought there was a better use of money than that. Then I came across gas-cap-dude on eBay and voila...it's done!

$40 shipped, I opted for the black cap to match the other black bits on my blue, recently-naked '06. I think it looks great and installation couldn't have been simpler. It did come with a note that it could fade if exposed to a lot of sunlight, so that's something I'll have to keep a watch over, but if it does, I'll just change to the silver version.

Oh yeah, and there was a discussion a while back about removing your gas cap and ring to check and see what the condition of the paint on the tank under it was like. Some people had horror stories of rust. When I first removed my stock cap and ring, this is what I found:

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

I just about panicked! But upon closer inspection, I realized the loose rust I was seeing was coming from the holes where the screws go. It's not ideal, but the paint on the actual tank surface is just fine. A rag and a little cleaning solution, and it was good as new.

Here's how the new cap looks after installation:

photo3-1.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo6-1.jpg

photo7-1.jpg

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to ask you on the other gas cap thread if you received you cap from gas cap dude yet. The black one looks really good, I was debating getting the black or chrome one. I guess you can't go wring with either. :thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I believe you said you got the silver one, right? It's amazing how easy to install it is, really. And for $40, you can't beat it!

And I can't recommend gas-cap-dude enough...seriously, the price is great, the product is perfect, and it shipped EXTREMELY quick. I ordered on Tuesday afternoon (of this week), got a ship notice Wednesday morning, and the cap showed up in the mailbox today (very well-packaged, I might add). From California to Kentucky in 2 days via US Postal...very nice!

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have I mentioned I like the Blue on your bike? I really do, almost wish mine was blue..

PS: FOUND MY NEXT MOD, the stock one get dirty too easy with the lining around the cap. I like the black too anyway, it will match my engine :)

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Geoff! And it's funny you say that about the blue of my bike because if I had to choose another color, it would've been the silver that you've got...lol. Maybe a trade is in order? J/K!

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Geoff! And it's funny you say that about the blue of my bike because if I had to choose another color, it would've been the silver that you've got...lol. Maybe a trade is in order? J/K!

If we ever meet up, we can trade for a day :) not like it would be hard to adjust fz6 to fz6, wonder if the color makes it faster?

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What are your thoughts on safety? obviously most cars gas caps dont lock, but how do you feel about removing the locking feature of the motorcycle one? just curious, i have thought about this too, but i just dont like the idea of some A-hole kids in the neighborhood thinking they are gonna be funny one day...

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What are your thoughts on safety? obviously most cars gas caps dont lock, but how do you feel about removing the locking feature of the motorcycle one? just curious, i have thought about this too, but i just dont like the idea of some A-hole kids in the neighborhood thinking they are gonna be funny one day...

People stealing gas through vehicles is not a problem aroud here, to me it's no different than the truck I have, it's just a door that opens without any mechanism. Personally if I'm not riding my bike it's in a closed garage. But if you live in an area where there are punk @$$ kids I could see your point.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. It's on my list of mods to do as well. Shame the screws are silver instead of Black, like the cap.

Yeah, I noticed that too after I installed it. It's not something you think about when looking at the pictures on eBay...lol. I think I'm gonna try and find some black screws so they blend in a bit better.

I agree with Geoff. I think it depends on your individual situation. When I lived in an apartment and the bike lived outside under a cover when not being ridden, I wouldn't have done this mod. I would've worried about someone seeing the non-locking gas cap and doing something stupid (plus, I lived directly across the street from a high school, so the opportunity was there for the punks...lol). However, now that I'm living in a house with a garage, it's not a concern for me. When I'm not on the bike, it's locked up in the garage, and at work we park right up against our building and not out in a large parking lot. So, for me, the probability of something bad going down is limited. I guess I just have to make sure I don't piss off someone at my office...lol.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to do this, its not so much people "stealing" gas, its more of people thinking their funny and dropping something in there... penny, water, gravel. They would walk by, see a "twist off" and go, 'hmmmm'. Every car and truck have gas caps like this, but to see a bike is like 'ohh ahh, how can i break it'.

I live in a townhouse, so the bike stays out front. and since i ride to work most of the year, it only has the cover on when there is rain in the forecast. I may still look into it though.

PS: Take the screws out, spray em with a coat or two of black gloss spray paint, then reinstall, they may get a scratch or two when tightening down, but just spray the paint in a small container, (or paper towel) and touch up with a brush. This is how i did all the little screws on my front fairing. They look SOOO much better now

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to do this, its not so much people "stealing" gas, its more of people thinking their funny and dropping something in there... penny, water, gravel. They would walk by, see a "twist off" and go, 'hmmmm'. Every car and truck have gas caps like this, but to see a bike is like 'ohh ahh, how can i break it'.

I live in a townhouse, so the bike stays out front. and since i ride to work most of the year, it only has the cover on when there is rain in the forecast. I may still look into it though.

PS: Take the screws out, spray em with a coat or two of black gloss spray paint, then reinstall, they may get a scratch or two when tightening down, but just spray the paint in a small container, (or paper towel) and touch up with a brush. This is how i did all the little screws on my front fairing. They look SOOO much better now

I suppose when in doubt, probably not a good idea for you then, I dont see people being that ignorant though.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

My wife asked me the same question when I ordered mine. But my bike is always garaged up and never far from sight so I don't I an issue thankfully. However when I lived in a apartment and had an Interceptor with aftermarket pipes I came out one morning to find one of my pipes pulled off and laying in the ivy. :Flip: