chicken stripes??

I call mine granny strips. I don't mind having them; I figure quadriplegia or a body cast would get in the way of playing with my grandkids. :)

No chicken strips (or stripes), but I do have some chicken shyts.
4471737627_60441360f6_b.jpg

I've got to the edge of my right side a few times. But it's not scrubbed off or anything. Just a little scuffed. There's this awesome concrete turn coming out of work that I try to bump my speed up all the time. Left side has about 0.75". Hanging off the bike is illegal in florida, and I like to leave that as backup just in case that corner was sharper than I thought.

And some on ramps have caught up to me. They look mellow, and then you get into them and think, "Oh, ****!". So you stick your knee out, push on your outside peg, try and get your chin to the inside handlebar, and smoothly roll on the throttle. So, I've drug knee on some of those accidently.

Ok, so intentional thread jack sorry....WTF do you mean it is illegal to hang off the bike in Florida!?! That's crazy. That's like saying I can't drive my cage with the seat reclined. How is that defined/enforced?...all this said from what I hear there are only straight roads in Florida anyway LOL

I used to get mine to zero but I stopped caring - nothing to prove anymore. If I wanted to I could get mine down to zero....but the more you lean yourself, the less the bike leans - which means as you start to get better. they start to come back again.

Speaking on the hanging off the bike thing, you dont have to hang off to use your whole tire, but your testicles will require %100 involement

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but the highly skilled riders that I sometimes ride with that have no chicken strips (and almost none on the front), whether they hang off or not, and that ride fast but in a defensive manner and under control are good riders that know what they are doing and are not taking crazy risks.

It's the slow pokes that pride themselves on their fat chicken strips and flat out lack the skills to go fast (chicken strips or not) that I worry about because even slow is fast for them and they won't be able to handle the surprise gravel/animal/car etc. when it pops up.

Everyone knows NO chicken strips don't mean you're fast....but big fat chicken strips generally indicate that you're slow and probably don't know how to ride very well (YMMV). And it varies by tire....1" strips on a touring tire = really slow but 1/4 inch strips on an extreme SS tire and maybe you just have not hit the right road under the right conditions yet.

:D flame suit on

Ehh...all I know is I lean the hell out of my bike and I still have a little tiny bit of tire left.

A lot of it has to do with the particular tire and how is sits on the wheel. For example on my FZ1 with 2CTs in a 190/50, 6 inch wheel, I use all of the rear tire, but I don't ride it that hard. Whereas my R6 with Q2s in a 180/55, 5.5 inch wheel, I use almost all of the tire and I ride much harder than the FZ1.

In this photo I still have about a 1/4" to 1/8" left on the rear tire. Go figure..

View attachment 38630

Mine are about 3/8". I did grind the pegs few times... It's hard to find some nice twisties in Florida. I work on placing my inside foot properly on the pegs, sticking my knee out. But I just move my head few inches, I don't try to hang off the bike. No need for it. I try to use the tire as much as I can safely do and if I need to lean some more, I shift some weight on the inside.

I'm sorry but the highly skilled riders that I sometimes ride with that have no chicken strips (and almost none on the front), whether they hang off or not, and that ride fast but in a defensive manner and under control are good riders that know what they are doing and are not taking crazy risks.

It's the slow pokes that pride themselves on their fat chicken strips and flat out lack the skills to go fast (chicken strips or not) that I worry about because even slow is fast for them and they won't be able to handle the surprise gravel/animal/car etc. when it pops up.

Everyone knows NO chicken strips don't mean you're fast....but big fat chicken strips generally indicate that you're slow and probably don't know how to ride very well (YMMV). And it varies by tire....1" strips on a touring tire = really slow but 1/4 inch strips on an extreme SS tire and maybe you just have not hit the right road under the right conditions yet.

:D flame suit on

+1

I always leave lots of margins when I ride the streets... you can tell by my chicken strips:

4197922173_be4e4919e4_b.jpg

David, you gotta try some Dunlop Q2s next...you can get them for cheap and I bet you will love them.

I agree, they are the best deal out there for sticky rudder. The set I'm on now was $180 shipped, and have four track days on them. They have one more day in them.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

I agree, they are the best deal out there for sticky rudder. The set I'm on now was $180 shipped, and have four track days on them. They have one more day in them.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

$180 !!! that is CHEAP

I wish I could get them locally and better for the price of the qualifiers or roadsmart

what about performance and "longevity" on the street?

Back