checking oil level

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
From what I have read in the manual it does not stipulate to check the oil on center or side stand.
FZ6N doesn't come with a center stand as standard so would it not make sense to check it on side stand?
Obviously this changes the angle of the engine and would affect the reading on the dipstick.

Now when I bought the bike the oil level was at the full mark on side stand. After last service I am certain it was the same.

So just to make sure and not overfill the engine with oil....which do you think is correct? Side or Centre Stand?

Any words of wisdom?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
As mine has a center stand, I have always checked the level on the center stand.

Any bike that I have owned that lacked said attachement, I have held vertical when I have checked the oil level. I'd suggest this as the most accurate method.... you could be lucky and it just happens that the full mark on the stick means it's really full on the side stand.

I'll check mine both ways tomorrow, and let you know if there's a difference in the reading.

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Jayjay,
I'm a bit anal about my oil level, I check mine by balancing bike upright ( a yamaha mechanic told me this is the correct way to check it) but saying that I made sure oil level was right, then I put the bike on the centre stand and checked it, the oil level was one X below the full mark.
so when checking the oil now I always use the centre stand and keep it at bottom of said X.
Hope this helps
Bazza:thumbup:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Always check with the bike upright and don't screw the dipstick in just insert it until it stops and the remove and check the oil level. The service guy at my Yamaha dealer said not to check on the center stand as this will give a slightly false reading, he had it on the side stand and just held the bike upright to check.

Jerry

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have not got a centre stand slide a block of wood under the side stand so the bike is ALMOST upright.

Not totally accurate but gives you a much better idea.

Steve

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
From what I have read in the manual it does not stipulate to check the oil on center or side stand.
FZ6N doesn't come with a center stand as standard so would it not make sense to check it on side stand?
Obviously this changes the angle of the engine and would affect the reading on the dipstick.

Now when I bought the bike the oil level was at the full mark on side stand. After last service I am certain it was the same.

So just to make sure and not overfill the engine with oil....which do you think is correct? Side or Centre Stand?

Any words of wisdom?

As I said I would check the level in various states, here's what I have observed:

On the center stand, dipstick resting in hole... my oil level is about 1 full set of cross hatching ABOVE the full line.

Held vertical, dipstick resting in the hole.... my oil level was only very slightly lower -- almost an unmeasurable difference.

On the sidestand, dipstick resting in hole.... the oil did not register on the stick. At all.

On the sidestand, dipstick screwed in, the oil registered below the 'low' mark.

From these observations, I am of the opinion that centerstand or vertical with the dipstick resting in the hole is the only way to accurately measure the level in the sump. It is also worth noting that the level in the sump will increase overnight, as enging oil is pulled by gravity back to the sump.

My bike has been sitting for some weeks... this is why I am not concerned with a slightly high reading. and it is why I would be DEEPLY concerned about a reading at the full mark, with the bike resting on the sidestand.

Such a reading will almost certainly mean the motor contains more than one excess quart of motor oil. (I'd estimate it at closer to 1.5 US quarts) That can lead to the excess being pumped back into the air box, and then sucked into the combustion chambers. A Very Bad Thing. That can seriously break your motor.

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi RJ2112,
I beg to differ about oil level increasing when bike on centre stand, as when you put bike on centre stand the back of bike rises and oil moves forward away from dipstick (simple physics)
I agree that vertical or centre stand are the only way to check oil.
Also it is not good for engine to have to much oil in it ( yamaha mechanic told me better to be slightly under full mark)
regards Bazza

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd agree that there is little to no difference, reading the level between on the center stand, and held vertical. To be honest, I was a bit surprised to see the level over the full mark at all. I attribute that to extended time sitting.

As far as how much oil moves away from the dipstick between vertical and on the stand.... We'd have to have the ground perfectly flat for that to matter....the angle of tilt would only change a very few degrees; but I'd have to think you'd be right. any uneveness in the pavement the feet of the stand were on would probably have at least as much effect.

As long as the oil level is between the hash marks it's 'just right'.

Regards,

RJ

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Any words of wisdom?

Page 6-7 of your manual. Far right middle down the page.:D

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI don't check like this

untitled.jpg

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sheesh....i say chuck her on her centrestand, or paddock stand, and all will be right.....

:thumbup:

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
This is out of the service manual

EAS20730
CHECKING THE ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Stand the vehicle on a level surface.
NOTE:
• Place the vehicle on a suitable stand.
• Make sure the vehicle is upright.
2. Start the engine, warm it up for several
minutes, and then turn it off.
3. Check:
• Engine oil level
The engine oil level should be between the
minimum level mark “a” and maximum level
mark “b”.
Below the minimum level mark → Add the
recommended engine oil to the proper
level

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But there is nothing wrong with the spark plugs Mikey! :BLAA:

And no...the whole page 6-7 in the 2008 manual is "Removing and Installing the panel" on the left and "Checking the spark plugs" on the right.

Why not post up what yours says?

Same bike...different manual...lol... So that's what they changed on the 08 FZ6...LMAO.

It says, to keep the bike level and not to tilt it or it'll skew your reading.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Bumping an old thread here, but I'm searching for an answer to:

Does one screw the dip stick in all the way, or do you just set it on the top of the treads to check the level?

:confused:
Thanks

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Bumping an old thread here, but I'm searching for an answer to:

Does one screw the dip stick in all the way, or do you just set it on the top of the treads to check the level?

:confused:
Thanks

Just set it in there, don't screw it in.