Changing Gears - Based on RPMs

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I am just getting used to my FZ6 600cc '07 and I feel so comfortable with it's "ride-smoothness" and all the bike in general but,

What would be a good range of RPMs when shifting gears?

Right now I am doing changes at 5k RPMs at the most, for 1~6 gears.

I noticed that less revs makes the bike choke in 2nd and up. But since I am used to riding cars, the sound that comes out of the motor in 1st gear at 5k rpms makes me think it will blow. :)

Any technique that you can share with me would be very appreciated.

Oh, btw, my bike has 2000 kilometers now, so it is still in the "safezone" where I was recommended to keep it in the 7k rpms range by the Yamaha mechanic.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
2000km is about 1200 miles. You should have had your first service already, the bike is past the break-in period. These motors like to rev. There is no power below 5k rpms. When riding normal, i usually shift around 8-9k, sometimes lower, sometimes higher. Don't be afraid to rev the piss out of it, that's what they are made for.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
yah about 5-8k is the "normal" range for most.. you think 5k is bad (the blowing it up feeling) take er' to redline once... kinda freaky if your not used to it, you'll lear soon enough to make the bike "perform" at all gotta get the r's up there a bit..

Dave G

Reaction score
Visit site
I found shifting anywhere over 5-6k smoother. It did take a little time getting used to the " its about to blow sound " but now I do most of my riding around 6-8k with an ocational up to near redline then its like warp speed:D
Enjoy and ride safe.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I change gears either at 6000 rpm if I want to save on fuel or at 8000+ if I want to have fun. I run the bike constantly at 6000rpm, sometimes at 7000 when I want to reserve fuel (it works!!) or if I'm having fun its not unusual to run the engine at 10,000rpm, especially when in 6th gear going fast! :rockon:

The break in period is pretty essential so I wouldn't run the bike past 8,000 rpm just yet...but 6,000 is just fine! :)

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have an 07 and I shift when the rev-limiter won't let me rev any higher...never had the first problem out of my bike almost 6,000 miles on it... enjoy your bike it's alot tougher than you think!! :rockon: :D

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I have done the first service already. I was adviced to wait for the 2nd service though... so I can juice the motor out.

HAHA believe me that "rev the piss out of it" is the best advise I have ever got regarding a bike :D I'll follow that man!

So, BIGDOG... you are telling me that I can redzone it safely? I thought that it was something like BACK TO THE FUTURE @ that revs!!! Can u assure it won't blow???

I will take it at a constant 8k revs, sounds like a safe zone... I bet the bike is tougher than it seems but.. you have to understand, it's my first bike, it's my newborn baby... haha just want to take care of it. ;)

Thak you all guys! I'll rev it up!!!:rockon:

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on where i'm riding. Around town i'll shift somewhere between 5 and 7000...give me open road and i'll shift around 7,000 and occasionally kick it to warp and shift around 10K. I like to keep it above 4K or it bogs down.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Changing gears on my new FZ6 is quite a change from the old tired cruiser. It shifts so much more smoothly on entrance ramps than on city streets. I actually find myself having trouble going slow from light to light. Any hints?

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I have done the first service already. I was adviced to wait for the 2nd service though... so I can juice the motor out.

HAHA believe me that "rev the piss out of it" is the best advise I have ever got regarding a bike :D I'll follow that man!

So, BIGDOG... you are telling me that I can redzone it safely? I thought that it was something like BACK TO THE FUTURE @ that revs!!! Can u assure it won't blow???

I will take it at a constant 8k revs, sounds like a safe zone... I bet the bike is tougher than it seems but.. you have to understand, it's my first bike, it's my newborn baby... haha just want to take care of it. ;)

The important thing on a new bike is to move the RPM's around a lot and change gears a lot. Don't stay between 3-5000 RPM all the time because the engine will not ware in properly. The reason for keeping under 6000 RPM before the first oil filter change is because lot of small metal fragments come off the engine as it wares in. These are cleared out after the first oil and filter change and you are then fine to 'rev the piss out of it'. There is a rev limiter that will prevent you from reving up into the dangerous zone, you will feel it if you hit it. Bare in mind that when changing down gears the rev limiter does not apply so make sure your revs are low enough before changing down.

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
Changing gears on my new FZ6 is quite a change from the old tired cruiser. It shifts so much more smoothly on entrance ramps than on city streets. I actually find myself having trouble going slow from light to light. Any hints?

Well, try identifying a path on your route without lights... I have the same trouble... Imagine a FZ6 sitting among red lights, cars, buses, and everything you can imagine would slow me down.

I can only rev the bike properly on weekends on a toll-highway... So get used to going slow between lights... there is no option. :p

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I am just getting used to my FZ6 600cc '07 and I feel so comfortable with it's "ride-smoothness" and all the bike in general but,

I noticed that less revs makes the bike choke in 2nd and up. But since I am used to riding cars, the sound that comes out of the motor in 1st gear at 5k rpms makes me think it will blow. :)

Oh, btw, my bike has 2000 kilometers now, so it is still in the "safezone" where I was recommended to keep it in the 7k rpms range by the Yamaha mechanic.

Bienvenido! De que parte de Mexico eres?

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site

redzone safely?? yes.. there is the rev limiter there to keep it from destroying it's self..

blow it?? chances are very very very very very slim.. the only consern i would have about blowing it just because you hit redline none.. now if you "live" in at the limiter. (meaning you keep the r's in near the redline every time you ride and for extended peiods.) then i could see engine life being shorter. and even then it will take ALOT of that before you have any problems.. example, look at race bikes, they are not all that different usually, and they are screaming the $hit out of them for alot longer than you have road to support that kind of riding..

back to the future? yah it can seem that way..

i know that i when i first started riding the fizzer that i had a hard time going over about 10k , but that is where the redlines where on my old bikes, after i got my new tiger (red at 10k) and i passed the break in miles i was used to the fizzer and pegged the limiter several times. and i have no fear that the bike will last a good long while..

get a few r's (safely) and let us know how you liked it... ;):rockon::thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
redzone safely?? yes.. there is the rev limiter there to keep it from destroying it's self..

blow it?? chances are very very very very very slim.. the only consern i would have about blowing it just because you hit redline none.. now if you "live" in at the limiter. (meaning you keep the r's in near the redline every time you ride and for extended peiods.) then i could see engine life being shorter. and even then it will take ALOT of that before you have any problems..

back to the future? yah it can seem that way..

1. No it will not blow up unless you hold it at redline. The bike will actually bounce off the redline if you don't shift at the right moment.
2. I tend to ride between 8,000-14,000 (redline) when I'm in canyons because that's where the powerband is. Wear earplugs, it helps with noise and you FEEL the bike more :D
3. back to the future - I redlined it through gears 1-5 and yes, I saw Michael J. Fox next to me in his car.

The bike is built for high-revs. I get better gas mileage in canyons than I do in the city lol

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
When you do get a chance to open it up all the way through a few gears, a word of slight caution: if you don't weigh a lot, the front end will very likely get light or even come off the ground a tiny bit if you peg the throttle open and leave it there in 1st, second, and possibly even third. Be prepared to keep your hands nice and steady. The first time it did it to me, I wasn't prepared and I recall puckering up a bit. Now I'm used to it.

edit: and this reminds me of the test ride I took on an '05 fz6 before buying mine new. I had had 2 other bikes previously but both were low-revving small twins with no tachs. So I hit an open road on the fizzer, stabbed the throttle from about 3k, and thought I was wringing its neck when I finally shifted... then looked down and saw I had only revved to 8k. It really is culture shock coming from anything else.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
a word of slight caution: if you don't weigh a lot, the front end will very likely get light or even come off the ground a tiny bit if you peg the throttle open and leave it there in 1st, second, and possibly even third.

:thumbup: Definitely can scare you the first couple times. Take it easy up there, the power is night/day after 10K.
The front end will get light and you might pick it up. If not, you will get some wobbles and the front wheel will shake a bit. Don't grip too tight, just slowly back off the throttle.

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
now if you "live" in at the limiter. (meaning you keep the r's in near the redline every time you ride and for extended peiods.) then i could see engine life being shorter. and even then it will take ALOT of that before you have any problems..

What do you think it would be a safe period of time to drive a bike at high speeds? For example... you are in the highway, and get to an endless path with no curves... and try to hold her @ 13k revs for a while... just to feel how 240 kms/hr is like... what would be an indicator that you should loosen up the throttle?

PS: think for a second that courage is not a showstopper :p

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
a word of slight caution: if you don't weigh a lot, the front end will very likely get light or even come off the ground a tiny bit if you peg the throttle open and leave it there in 1st, second, and possibly even third.

Well, I do weight very little :S 65 kgs... but never experienced front tire losing grip or anything... but thanks for the tip!!!

Could this happen in a curve? i believe yes... but I do not throttle that quick anyways.

Kbula_Mexico

Reaction score
Visit site
Wear earplugs, it helps with noise and you FEEL the bike more :D

Hum, so that's why some people wear them... I have noticed that in heavy traffic (I live in Mexico City :p) I can't hear even what I am thinking because of buses and cars, and all the honking and stuff... So yes! I will try that in the city.

Feeling the bike is better than looking down @ the RPMeter... :spank:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I like to commute in traffic between 4,700 and 5,500rpms. Through the gears from the lights though I usually go straight to 12,000 rpm in 1st and then short change up for 60km/h zones. I'll continue the same routine in second gear if I'm in an 80km/h zone. This is just to separate me from traffic, and not because I love it:D.

I changed my commute to a twisty ride for the most part and I like to sit between 8,000 and 10,000rpm for that and again change gears at 12,000rpm. These bikes really do love to rev and after 50,000km in 15 months mine never missed a beat.:rockon:

Cheers
Mike