Changing Fork Color?

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 07 FZ6 with a GSX-R 600/750 forks (gold). I want them to be black. Is there a way to paint, powder coat, or any other alternative to make them back without loosing the integrity of the clamps? Also have gold brake calipers, is there anyway to black these out as well? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

received_10208815502813240.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The brake calipers, you can use high temp paint, or powder coat (keeping the coating off the internals, threads, etc). Powder coat would probably hold up better as brake fluid can take off paint if left on long enough...

Re the forks, You can scruff and paint them as well BUT their likely going to get scuffed up as you reassemble them. Perhaps if SUPER CAREFUL, you can get them back in without scratching..

As long as the clamps are torqued to spec's, the paint won't make a difference.

You can always partially dis-assemble, tape off and paint the fork legs. If your super neat and very anal when taping, it should look ok.

I would use the BEST paint you can find...

*Truck bed lining paint, which is slightly textured, holds up very well,has a similar finish as stock lower legs.

Last edited:

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
The brake calipers, you can use high temp paint, or powder coat (keeping the coating off the internals, threads, etc). Powder coat would probably hold up better as brake fluid can take off paint if left on long enough...

Re the forks, You can scruff and paint them as well BUT their likely going to get scuffed up as you reassemble them. Perhaps if SUPER CAREFUL, you can get them back in without scratching..

As long as the clamps are torqued to spec's, the paint won't make a difference.

You can always partially dis-assemble, tape off and paint the fork legs. If your super neat and very anal when taping, it should look ok.

I would use the BEST paint you can find...

*Truck bed lining paint, which is slightly textured, holds up very well,has a similar finish as stock lower legs.

I figured if I painted them once I got them re-installed the paint would chip and flake under the pressure of the clamps and thus would eventually crack the surrounding area paint. I guess I would need to talk to someone that does professional powder coating and see what they say. I actually thought about getting someone in the vinyl business to wrap them.

As far as the brake calipers, powder coat was what I was thinking would be the best to do.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure paint is not gonna fly as it will increase the OD just enough that it will not slide into the tripple...

Have them anodized. Basically acid etch the gold off from them and apply black or color of choice. I did this to an aluminum chassis that was light blue and made one side burnt orange and the other black... It looked pretty sexy when done.

Are the calipers painted or etched/anodized? Likely need to repeat what was done to them. But there are some hardened two part epoxy paints that would work. Still need to media blast tbem for the product to adhere.

Powder coating the calipers would be good choice. The effort there is getting them clean as the fluid is in the pores and will outgas when baked.

Basically disasemble them, clean with MAF cleaner, bake them at 400°F for 30", air cool, MAF cleaner again, bead blast the exterior, apply coating, and bake at manufacturers temperture to cure them. I've used three products all of which were 400F for 15" once the part reached 400°F. So calipers would likely be in there for 30" or so to cure the PC.

Its gonna be a bit of work to do it right...

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do I get a "cut"?

It was my idea!!! :thumbup:

In all real honesty.. and I might get flamed for this.. But for the riding that I do, I sort of like the gush/lush-ness of the Fz6 forks, they work well for cruising Wisconsin's (not so great) roads, And when I ride across the country I really appreciated forks that are a bit more forgiving.

If the Fz6 were a hooligan bike for me I'd totally go for it. But it's my commuter, cross country traveler, and my everyday rider. If I wanted a super-sport suspension, Id have gone out and purchased an r6 from the get go, lol.

I'll pass on the swap.

That being said, there are 1,001 members on this forum that would swap with you in a heart beat if you really wanted to!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In all real honesty.. and I might get flamed for this.. But for the riding that I do, I sort of like the gush/lush-ness of the Fz6 forks, they work well for cruising Wisconsin's (not so great) roads, And when I ride across the country I really appreciated forks that are a bit more forgiving.

If the Fz6 were a hooligan bike for me I'd totally go for it. But it's my commuter, cross country traveler, and my everyday rider. If I wanted a super-sport suspension, Id have gone out and purchased an r6 from the get go,!

You can have both!!!

Going on a year now, love em!

Soften them for a stock ride or stiffen them up for aggressive riding!

No air/oil leaks, still holding steady!!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/54803-air-assist-fork-caps.html

Double click to enlarge:

Last edited:

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site

If the Fz6 were a hooligan bike for me I'd totally go for it. But it's my commuter, cross country traveler, and my everyday rider. If I wanted a super-sport suspension, Id have gone out and purchased an r6 from the get go, lol.

I'll pass on the swap.

That being said, there are 1,001 members on this forum that would swap with you in a heart beat if you really wanted to!

No worries bro, I was half kidding. Besides, my forks need seals and you would have to relocate your key and loose the locking handlebars. Also I'm out of town until April, so you'd have to wait that long. Mine is also a daily rider on not so great roads and with one blown fork seal it rides like a dream. Super smooth and soft ride.