Changing Color of the Meter ?

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
If Yamaha used the same glue on the meter as they did on the headlight unit, - a bit of heat would soften the glue enough to pull it apart.
Just a thought ...

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
If Yamaha used the same glue on the meter as they did on the headlight unit, - a bit of heat would soften the glue enough to pull it apart.
Just a thought ...

All of this dealing with glue has me nervous. What did you split the headlight for?

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
All of this dealing with glue has me nervous. What did you split the headlight for?

+42 on the glue thing.
I did not take my headlight unit apart, - but there is a thread on it, where instructions are given, - including pre and post baking the unit in the oven to soften the glue.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I don't think you want to be sticking an electronic component with an LCD screen into an oven..even at a low tempature.

Headlight housing is essentually just an empty plastic shell where the glue melts long beofre the plastic does.

I would try the acetone trick first, but I don't think it will work. You could try more directed heat using a heat gun and gently pry it apart, but then you risk warping the plastic which will make it next to impossible to re-seal it. As a last resort, cut it open very carfully using Dremel rotary tool or a small hack or coping saw.

Might want to price out how much a replacement spedo unit goes for in case the worst happens.

Heck, it might be worth an email to Yamaha asking for their input or any info on if it can come apart?

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Cali_Rider had tried to open the '06 speedo without success. No way to do it without braking it apparently.