makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
I change my 07 from amber to white

IMG_0116Large.jpg

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody have a picture of the normal color? (2007+)
ETA: Nevermind. Found one on Yamaha's website.

avogt18 - can you tell what package size the LEDs are? They're not standard 1206s. Looks like they have a lens on top to better diffuse the light. Do they have associated resistors? (In the last photo, it looks like there is a 220 Ohm resistor in series with the LED on the far right.) How hard was it to get the gauge cluster out? I'm thinking this mod will happen over the winter.

Last edited:

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
The color change is accomplished by change out the six leds at the bottom of the lcd. I first tired to desolder the leds without removing the lcd screen but could not get the iron tip in without damageing the lcd screen. It was a pain but I had to remove the lcd screen from the board; with that out of the way, I was able to desolder the amber leds and install the white one from LC Led SMD LED - SUPER BRIGHT WHITE LED SLT-773W. I used red first but it turned out more like pink than red. I also tried blue, it looked good but a bit too bling for my taste. The white ended up looking the best since it matched the other gauge and it is also the brightest because the white led uses less voltage then the rest. You'll need a good iron with a fairly small tip and something to desolder the existing leds. I have a desoldering gun that made the job easier.

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
I found the best way to get the gauge cluster out is by removing the 4 screws that attach the headlight to the frame. You don't even have to touch the fairing, it is attached to the headlights. Once that is removed, you can now unplug the wire harness and then the 3 screws behind the gauge cluster holding it to the frame.

GTHappy

Reaction score
Visit site
makanouchi, do you remember what voltage the amber LEDs were running at? Or, do you know what voltage the overall circuit is running at? (I'm guess 5V)
This is a really tempting mod. How is the LCD attached to the PCB? I see the row of solderpoints, anything else?

makanouchi

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what the voltage for the factory amber leds are but the voltage for the white LEDs (SLT-773W) is 3.1v. The LCD is attached with 3 screw and the row of solderpoints.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I'm looking at doing this myself now.
While I'd like to think that my soldering skills are good for SMT work (I've swapped the LEDs on my 360 and its controllers), I dont think I'm good enough to get in there without causing damage to the plastic overhang over the LEDs themselves.
Does anyone know if the LCD or its plastic base can be removed?

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I figured I'd resurrect this post. Has anyone tried this with a gauge cluster with the 04-06 style? The soldering isn't a problem for me (make my living doing it) but dealing with a sealed container doesn't sound like fun to me.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I figured I'd resurrect this post. Has anyone tried this with a gauge cluster with the 04-06 style? The soldering isn't a problem for me (make my living doing it) but dealing with a sealed container doesn't sound like fun to me.

Would also like to know about this mod for 04-06.....would love to change mine to white...that looked great...

:thumbup:

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'll do some exploratory surgery tomorrow... Service manual doesn't say anything about the gauge cluster. I'll post some pictures and see what you think.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry guys... it doesn't look like the gauge cluster was ever meant to come apart. Most likely it's been pressed and glued together. :( Here's some pics.

View attachment 14984
The back side. Note the overwhelming lack of screws of any kind.
View attachment 14983
Close up on the edge of the seal. I messed it up a little with a screwdriver
View attachment 14985

If anyone has any ideas how to get this thing apart, I'm game. Teal isn't one of my favorite colors...

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone I work with suggested putting a bead of acetone around the lip where the back face meets the front face and using suction to try to separate the two halves. What do you guys think?