chain lube

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
You will find various opinions on this. I use WD-40 for cleaning and Dupont Teflon mltipurpose for lube. Easy to use and less messy.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
does anyone know what the chain is lubed with from the factory? i like the thick white lube that i can easily tell where i start and stop,

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
You will find various opinions on this. I use WD-40 for cleaning and Dupont Teflon mltipurpose for lube. Easy to use and less messy.

i ve heard bad things about cleaning o-ring chains with WD40,,,they say it is the quickest and most practical way to clean a chain but infact the chemicals in it are quickly damaging the orings...none of them are my experiences though ,but from couple of different sources....
so i use kerosene to clean my chain and Dupont Teflon for lubing...i would strongly recommend Dupont ,it keeps the chain and surrounding area very clean even if you over-lube... :thumbup:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a wax chain lube and cleaner recommended by the dealer. I had some stiff links on my last bike caused by poor lubrication so I am quite paranoid about it on the FZ6.

Best advice was to do it after you have been for a run so it has warmed up. I think there is another thread about this somewhere. It mentions removing the keys from the ignition when you are doing the lube, worth repeating I thought.:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a wax chain lube and cleaner recommended by the dealer. I had some stiff links on my last bike caused by poor lubrication so I am quite paranoid about it on the FZ6.

Best advice was to do it after you have been for a run so it has warmed up. I think there is another thread about this somewhere. It mentions removing the keys from the ignition when you are doing the lube, worth repeating I thought.:thumbup:

Why remove the Keys?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i ve heard bad things about cleaning o-ring chains with WD40,,,they say it is the quickest and most practical way to clean a chain but infact the chemicals in it are quickly damaging the orings...none of them are my experiences though ,but from couple of different sources....
so i use kerosene to clean my chain and Dupont Teflon for lubing...i would strongly recommend Dupont ,it keeps the chain and surrounding area very clean even if you over-lube... :thumbup:

Good advice, i always overlube because i would rather have too much lube and a mess than to little lube.

H

HavBlue

Why remove the Keys?

So there is no way on God's green earth that bike could be started thus removing the possibility body parts could go flying when a hand or something gets stuck in the works that are moving...

H

HavBlue

I clean my chain with a solution of hot soapy water mixed with simple green and lube it with marine grease.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So there is no way on God's green earth that bike could be started thus removing the possibility body parts could go flying when a hand or something gets stuck in the works that are moving...

I guess, but it would take a whole new kind of stupid to start it and run it in gear while playing with the chain...

H

HavBlue

I guess, but it would take a whole new kind of stupid to start it and run it in gear while playing with the chain...

I couldn't agree more but as we know, if there is a way for stupid to show up at the party, it will.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wanted to use wd-40 cause its cheap and works for everything. any problems with that

well if you do choose to use WD-40 it is only good for cleaning as it is not technically a lubricant. it is made for cleaning and Water Displacement. WD = Water Displacement. so you can use WD-40 for cleaning but not for lubricating or you will essentially be cleaning all the lube off and running a clean unlubricated chain.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
well if you do choose to use WD-40 it is only good for cleaning as it is not technically a lubricant. it is made for cleaning and Water Displacement. WD = Water Displacement. so you can use WD-40 for cleaning but not for lubricating or you will essentially be cleaning all the lube off and running a clean unlubricated chain.

+1

And as said above, please don't run your engine while lubing your chain.
________
Hurt From Depakote

Last edited: