Chain and sprocket choice?

The fz6 life

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello reader or potential readers.

I just took my bike to the shop today because I had to get a new back tire since it was running at about 20% tread left or so when the mechanic says, well, your front forks are leaking and your sprokets and chain need to be replaced, just the chain and sproket will set you back about 200. I didn't ask what fork seals would set me back or how to do them.

My question is, after doing some research I see that the D.I.D chains and sproket combo are a pretty good and we'll received set, but there is also the vortex and I'm sure others... I have a 2007 fz6. And suggestions? I don't want to skimp on the chain and sproket since there are so many forces at play with just those parts alone, why risk life and limb for some change?

I think 200 or so would be a pretty good range. I don't care about shedding weight, only safety and longevity. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone seems to get great mileage from the stock DID chain, i would go for the same one if i were to change my chain now. But mine still looks new!

Sprocket wise, i would just buy a reputable brand, I have Renthal sprockets front and back and have nothing bad to say about them.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I recently replaced my chain and sprockets. I went with a X-Ring type chain, the internet seems to think they last longer then O-Ring. I bought Suntour steel sprockets because they been making sprockets forever and they were a good price.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought and just received this week my sprockets and chain. Went with a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O8638K/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]DID chain[/ame] and sprockets from SuperSprox USA. Will be putting them on some time soon...

Last edited:

The fz6 life

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy goodness!

If i wasn't on lunch at the moment I would thank all of you for your personal inputs. I shall look into each of the brands provided and make my choice from them! Thank you so very much, I didn't want to get the wrong set or something at a much too high price from the shop.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 The did chain and sprockets are great, I got 28k out of mine. 200 is about right... the fork seals are like 15 each, but the labor is a different story....

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
any reason why I should not get [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0IKF2G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]this[/ame] set specially since I am staying with stock gearing, please advise incase I missed something

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a good set.

As a side note, I put the DID X chain on mine about 6,000 miles ago.. The bike doesn't see the rain (pleasure only) and the chain is always maintained/ lubed.

I found this X-ring chain starting to "shred" the rubber rings with small pieces poking out from inbetween the plates. Again, the chain IS MAINTAINED.

The next chain I put on will be an OEM, DID chain. I don't particularly want to loosen / move the swingarm but I won't buy another "X" chain. The OEM chain is known (with proper maintainance) to last quite awhile.. :thumbup:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

5-15-15, Update

After e-mailing DID and sending them some pic's of my "shredding chain", (and the full mileage/time history) they sent me a brand new, X chain (same as before but with gold side plates).

They wanted the old one back for thier tech department.

I have to admit, the gold plates do look super sharp and this chain is SOOOO much quieter..

Great customer service.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there any difference between DID Xring chains? I think OEM one is an xring chain too. I've heard about fake cheap DID Xring chains around.

Here is a link about it:

fake chains? - UK Motorbike Forum

I'm pretty sure the OEM chain is an O-ring, NOT an x chain.

I believe it is made by DID..

This is my first X-ring chain. The original OEM lasted only 12,000 miles as the owner lubed it ONCE in that time frame (which is probably pretty good considering). And even at that, no o-rings were spitting out the sides, just link binding.

BTW, the chain I put I purchased direct from DID (as I re-call).

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
The weird that your X-rings started shredding. I have used X- and just regular O- ring and haven't seen that. I have had chains basically stretch themselves out of use (and out of my safety zone) but haven't had them start to actually lose rubber parts of the rings.

Per the OP, for sake of ease just stick with OEM or another reputable, just make sure your link number is correct and that your pitch/width (530) match up with sprockets. A kit will eliminate that potential problems, but I've seen it happen often with people not paying attention and buying 520s with 530s.

That price on Amazon kit looks good. Stick with quality and you should be fine. Especially on the safety front.

Just don't buy knock offs. There are a lot out there.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
it's been a while but replaced my chain with a DID believe it was an X ring. Had 10 or 12 K on it when I sold the bike and was in great shape. For the front sprocket went with the OEM Yamaha, it has a rubber insert that makes less noise.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running the RK Xring after my original OEM chain was getting kinky.:spank: Although my sprockets looked like they could run a little longer I went with the Supersprox hybrid rear and a new front because I had to pull the front sprocket to service my hydraulic clutch push rod anyway.

55910d1421256846-left-side-axle-nut-gone-castle-nut-jpg