Canyons

forwil

***** Elite
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Iv been going out more and more looking for new roads around my area. Last weekend I went threw some pretty tight roads 15 MPH corners, and this weekend I found some more canyon roads that I haven tackled yet. The rides went well a couple of scares but what’s a ride without something to keep you on your toes rite. The point I am getting to is its not as smooth as I think it should be or would like it to be. I keep the RPMs up for good response but every ounce in awhile it just feels jerky. So I have been trying to ease on to the throttle around the bend. I think I’m getting the hang of things but if any of you have a helpful word it would be much appreciated. Thanks

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The lower the gear the twitchier the thorttle response is. Especially in 1st and 2nd. If you can run in 3rd. If not then try and run in 2nd gear and practice being smooth on the throttle.

Editted because my english was horrible

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Some very very helpful advice would be to slow down. Twitchy in the corners will end with bike and rider in walls or cars.

Seriously man. I know I am a jerk, I would apoligise but its good advice.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
My advice would be for you to forget about being in the top part of the tach (click the next gear up if necessary) for now, and focus on being as smooth as possible... that means being smooth with the controls, keeping a constant speed (as much as possible, in and between turns), carry momentum through turns, avoid extreme acceleration and braking...etc.

I used to make that mistake too, but being in the "power zone" in terms of rpm (meaning above 7-8 grands on the FZ) won't make you go faster in canyon roads... smoothness is key, especially for noobs like us :) You will end up being faster and having a more enjoyable ride.

forwil

***** Elite
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some very very helpful advice would be to slow down. Twitchy in the corners will end with bike and rider in walls or cars.

Seriously man. I know I am a jerk, I would apoligise but its good advice.

Slow is ok with me this is my first season riding. Its just the jerky when I try to throttle thru the corner.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you know all the aspects of cornering. There is a proper way to do it, and not knowing the proper way will get you killed.

The leading types of crashes due to rider error is from cornering. Whether it's too fast, target fixation, unable to determine the slope or radius of the curve, etc.

Remember, you want your entry speed slow enough so that you will be able to apply steady throttle or a roll on throttle thruout the turn so your bike becomes more stable, giving you more traction making that turn easier. Anykind of decel is not good and will disrupt your mojo.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
As a fellow newbie (who has gotten great advice from these more experienced riders on this forum) I can tell you that keeping your head up and looking THROUGH the curve to where you are headed can make a HUGE difference in how smooth you are in the turn.
Be careful and don't push yourself too much...the consequences can be very unkind.

W

wrightme43

Have you read Twist of the wrist II by Kieth Code???? That will help you so much man. Also Total Control is a awesome book with excellent throttle drills.

forwil

***** Elite
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of your help. I do try to slow- break before the corner and ease into the turn (with head up looking through the corner) its when I roll onto the throttle it kind of bump, thud jerks.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Slow in fast out. Easier said than done. I rarely use the brakes unless it is a tight 15mph corner, rather I use the engine gearing to control my entry speed. It's best to hold the throttle a bit off fully closed during the corner so when you excelerate out of the corner you will not get that jerk off a closed throttle (inline fours are known for the jerk coming off a closed throttle). For most 25 to 50 mph corners try to hold you rpms between 6-8k rpms for smooth control.
STAY RIGHT- that center line will kill you. A common mistake is riders who "hang" over the line. All it takes is a cage or another bike drifting over the line and you are in big trouble.
Another great book is "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch. Well written with diagrams, pics and other useful advise. I've been riding for years and still read it at least once a year.
If I may, one more tip is to try to meet some older guys who have been riding for years who you could follow to learn from. Stay away from the Rocky Racer types, they may be fast but seem to push the envelope a bit much for street riding. As I learned from Reg Pridmore - smooth riding will make you a faster and better rider.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Open the throttle SLOOOOOOOOMTHLY and bump it up a couple gears.

Running late apexing lines will give you better sight through the corner and provide you with more time, both actual and perceived, to do things like roll on the throttle and pick your apex.

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
All of the previous responses are probably the most applicable advice to your situation. But I'll also add that my throttle control really improved after tightening the throttle cable free play. There used to be quite a bit of twisting before the gas came back on, which really compounded the on/off feeling of the FZ6. Of course mine is an '05 with 26K miles, your '08 is likely in spec. If you do tighten it, just make sure that turning your handlebars fully left & right doesn't change idle speed (too tight).

forwil

***** Elite
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Red Wazp I am in contact with a couple of veteran riders close to me that are willing to “show me the ropes”
Thanks to all the advise, book references, and support. This site is amazing!!!!!!!:thumbup:

forwil

***** Elite
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My advice would be for you to forget about being in the top part of the tach (click the next gear up if necessary) for now, and focus on being as smooth as possible... that means being smooth with the controls, keeping a constant speed (as much as possible, in and between turns), carry momentum through turns, avoid extreme acceleration and braking...etc.

I used to make that mistake too, but being in the "power zone" in terms of rpm (meaning above 7-8 grands on the FZ) won't make you go faster in canyon roads... smoothness is key, especially for noobs like us :) You will end up being faster and having a more enjoyable ride.

Thanks I have been using this advice and it helps a lot
I would never have thought to do this on my own
I was taught in the MSC to slow into and accelerate out

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
The MSC was right, (slow in, accelerate out), but that doesn't mean HARD braking, followed by HARD acceleration... what I am talking about is to keep your speed pretty low between turns, so you don't have to do a lot of braking before the turn, and thus don't need to go WOT coming out of it... that will help you be smooooooth...

An example:

I used to do exactly what I described above, i.e. go fast between turns, brake a lot before each one, accelerate hard coming out of the turn, and all that while trying to keep my rpm in the butter zone... great... it was fun but took a lot of work, and I wasn't any faster than any other dude...

Then I took a look at Cali_Rider, who will follow the indicated speed limit (in the canyons) throughout the whole ride... so if it's a tight canyon and the speed limit is 45mph, he will click in 4th or 5th gear (maybe even 6th!) and stay at 50mph the whole way down the canyon road... no matter if a straight line or a tight turn, he will try to stay as close to 50mph as possible.

What this forces you to do is to be smooooth (again)... not a lot of hard braking, not a lot of hard acceleration, just a constant smooth progression. It is also less work on the controls, less changing gears, and more time to focus on your line, smoothness and form... and believe it or not, I feel better, and I am faster now than I ever was!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The MSC was right, (slow in, accelerate out), but that doesn't mean HARD braking, followed by HARD acceleration... what I am talking about is to keep your speed pretty low between turns, so you don't have to do a lot of braking before the turn, and thus don't need to go WOT coming out of it... that will help you be smooooooth...

An example:

I used to do exactly what I described above, i.e. go fast between turns, brake a lot before each one, accelerate hard coming out of the turn, and all that while trying to keep my rpm in the butter zone... great... it was fun but took a lot of work, and I wasn't any faster than any other dude...

Then I took a look at Cali_Rider, who will follow the indicated speed limit (in the canyons) throughout the whole ride... so if it's a tight canyon and the speed limit is 45mph, he will click in 4th or 5th gear (maybe even 6th!) and stay at 50mph the whole way down the canyon road... no matter if a straight line or a tight turn, he will try to stay as close to 50mph as possible.

What this forces you to do is to be smooooth (again)... not a lot of hard braking, not a lot of hard acceleration, just a constant smooth progression. It is also less work on the controls, less changing gears, and more time to focus on your line, smoothness and form... and believe it or not, I feel better, and I am faster now than I ever was!

+1 on this... I got some great advice when riding at the deal's gap meet on the best way to go through the dragon my first time and it was very similar... stay near the posted speeds 35 and ride in third and only downshift into second if you really need to (ie 15mph marked turns or dramatic uphills) It made the ride much more enjoyable as I wasn't constantly throtlling on/off and braking.

I used this advice throughout the trip and the guys I rode with will tell you in just a few days I was keeping up much better than when I was hammering on in the straights and braking hard to make the turns. Keep the pace and stay smooth.