Cant Wheelie Like It Used To...

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
So My Wheelies have been harder and harder to get up lately. When I 1st added the -1 +2 sprocket swap i could clutch in 2nd at 30-40mph at about 8-10K rpm. The slower the speed the higher the bike would jump. Anyway lately ive been hitting the clutch at almost wide open throttle and all I'll get is a few inches. Chain was loose so i tightened it. It helped a LITTLE. Nothing like it was before. Rear sprocket has all its teeth. I really dont know what the problem could be. Only thing I can think of is maybe the front sprocket broke a tooth. Any other suggestions before I check the front sprocket? Need help please. I cant take not showing off for the ladies.

How are your brakes? Possibly dragging? If you've just changed pads or something they can drag a fair bit for the first few hundred kms.

hope you figure it all out soon:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

If your problem was a broken tooth on the sproket, you would be having other problems.

Check your fuel filter and air filter to see if there is something restricting the flow of either. Have you pulled the tank up lately? Maybe you kinked a line slightly when you put it back down. Spark + air + Fuel = Power. Got to have enough of all three.

How many miles? maybe your TB's are out of sync?

How's your clutch adjustment?

+1 on the clutch. Could be the motor is tired. Broken tooth on the sprocket is going to give you other problems. Check your nut and lock nut on that output shaft at the front sprocket. Some one on the forum just stripped all the treads on it. It has been a known issue/recall on earlier FZ6's. If all that's good try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes so the computer does a reset. Sometimes the computer learns something funny from a temporary condition.
How's your air cleaner? Have any performance mods to the bike? Power commander? Maybe reload the MAP? How many miles? Had the valves adjusted?

Good luck,

Cliff

Maybe try with almost empty gas tank and lower pressure in tires? I don't know -- sounds like you've been doing them a while and then something changed.

Dennis

I'm gonna go with clutch plates. I think they might be worn from over use :squid:. only a :squid: would know though. your clutch plate is probably slipping when you clutch up. I dont think its a power issue. if you can still do good power wheelies, then I would be on the clutch plates.:rockon:

So My Wheelies have been harder and harder to get up lately. When I 1st added the -1 +2 sprocket swap i could clutch in 2nd at 30-40mph at about 8-10K rpm. The slower the speed the higher the bike would jump. Anyway lately ive been hitting the clutch at almost wide open throttle and all I'll get is a few inches. Chain was loose so i tightened it. It helped a LITTLE. Nothing like it was before. Rear sprocket has all its teeth. I really dont know what the problem could be. Only thing I can think of is maybe the front sprocket broke a tooth. Any other suggestions before I check the front sprocket? Need help please. I cant take not showing off for the ladies.

Simple.......It's HOT outside!!! hot air isn't as dense as cold air...I see on the weather channel it's a 100 degrees out there in Ca. :rockon:

I'm gonna go with clutch plates. I think they might be worn from over use :squid:. only a :squid: would know though. your clutch plate is probably slipping when you clutch up. I dont think its a power issue. if you can still do good power wheelies, then I would be on the clutch plates.:rockon:

eh - could be that the clutch CABLE isn't lubed. Mine got so bad before the first time that lubed it that it wasn't allowing the clutch to engage all the way during a fast takeoff and I'd slip the clutch across the intersection even though I wasn't touching it...:squid:

You gained weight.

Sorry bro.

Always Been A Big Boy. lol

Don't worry about it, it happens to most men when they get older. :rof:

Ohh Wow, Care to Help Me Work Through My Problem? :spank:

Well I lubed the chain and it helped a little. A valve job was done about 10K ago. Bike now has about 36K. Fuel lines are clear Air filter was cleaned n lubed same time as valve job. Clutch is set out kinda far from the bar. It feels like the clutch is cutting through the friction point FAST. Could be the plates. Heard some :squid: saying the tend to burn out doing wheelies. TB sync hasnt been done in about a year. My 1st gear wheelies SCARE Me. Comes Up Damn near 90* At 3k RPM. Power Wheelies still work. Thanks for everyones replies. Is it possible for the clutch cable to stretch? It seems ive been having to set it out a little every week. The metal dial is almost completely unscrewed from the clutch. BTW i have a pazzo shorty lever. :rockon:

Always Been A Big Boy. lol

Ohh Wow, Care to Help Me Work Through My Problem? :spank:

Well I lubed the chain and it helped a little. A valve job was done about 10K ago. Bike now has about 36K. Fuel lines are clear Air filter was cleaned n lubed same time as valve job. Clutch is set out kinda far from the bar. It feels like the clutch is cutting through the friction point FAST. Could be the plates. Heard some :squid: saying the tend to burn out doing wheelies. TB sync hasnt been done in about a year. My 1st gear wheelies SCARE Me. Comes Up Damn near 90* At 3k RPM. Power Wheelies still work. Thanks for everyones replies. Is it possible for the clutch cable to stretch? It seems ive been having to set it out a little every week. The metal dial is almost completely unscrewed from the clutch. BTW i have a pazzo shorty lever. :rockon:

I would place my bet on fried clutch plates. If you got the clutch hot, the springs maybe shot too. Clutching to wheelie is very hard on clutch plates. You are putting 50-75 HP (or what ever the engine makes at that rpm)through the clutch and turning it into instant heat. Do this enough and something has to give up. I am surprised it lasted 36k. Most abused clutches will barely make it 10k. Wheelies are hard on stuff, and certain components will wear out faster if wheelies are a regular thing, it is just the way it is.

No, every one is wrong, you have to add this to your gas... I know...:D I read it on a Gixxer forum..:rof:

Check the clutch plates and springs...
On my dirt bike, I couldn't get the thing the wheely anymore, coming out of hard corners, the motor was revved up but the acceleration wasn't there.
I tracked it down to being the clutch pack and now it grabs hard... And now I wheely TOO much lol.

Back