Can't decide between the two bikes

datawiz2012

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking for my first street bike which will be mainly used for commuting to work (some highway + within city). I have test rode all the bikes that were on my list and have come down to either a KAwasaki Versys or the FZ6. I understand that the two bikes are probably not comparable but I have reasons for liking them both. The Versys has a more upright position and I have been on cruisers for the past 10 years and therefore the V is closer to that. However, FZ6 has a sweeeet engine. What a difference from a V-twin. The smoothness and the linear power.

But, I am not so sure about the sitting position on an FZ6. I test rode one today and the dealer didn't make me very comfortable by going over the demo ride details very quickly (his focus was entirely on deductibles and you drop it you buy it policy, etc). So I wasn't too comfortable to begin with. Moreover, the riding position is something I am not used to all. I am not sure if I was too tense and leaning too much or a combination of both, since my wrists became sore 2 minutes into the ride. I didn't have any such issue on the Versys although Versys was a bit too tall (which has an advantage of more leg room) while I could almost flat foot the FZ (I am 5'9").

I would really be interested in hearing about the riding ergonomics. Especially if you have back pain issues or carpel tunnel, etc. If the FZ had a Versys like riding position, the bike would be in my garage by now!

Last edited:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a tough choice! I was also down to the Versys vs. the FZ6 (say that fast three times!!) :BLAA:
I am very happy that I chose the FZ6. I also commute to work on it, and have not had trouble with wrist or back pain (I am 5'8"). I do LOVE the inline 4, compared to my husbands V-twin. Very smooth, IMO.
Good luck with your decision!! If you like both, then see what kind of deal and/or financing would make one more attractive than the other. (I got a great deal on a new overstocked 08 in June of 09.) :thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can always install risers on the FZ6 if the bars are too low. Personally I find them too high to begin with and have since dropped them. I'd be finding a different dealer (if you can) to go for a longer test ride.

IMO the FZ6 will be easier (because it's not as tall) around the city.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I am looking for my first street bike which will be mainly used for commuting to work (some highway + within city). I have test rode all the bikes that were on my list and have come down to either a KAwasaki Versys or the FZ6. I understand that the two bikes are probably not comparable but I have reasons for liking them both. The Versys has a more upright position and I have been on cruisers for the past 10 years and therefore the V is closer to that. However, FZ6 has a sweeeet engine. What a difference from a V-twin. The smoothness and the linear power.

But, I am not so sure about the sitting position on an FZ6. I test rode one today and the dealer didn't make me very comfortable by going over the demo ride details very quickly (his focus was entirely on deductibles and you drop it you buy it policy, etc). So I wasn't too comfortable to begin with. Moreover, the riding position is something I am not used to all. I am not sure if I was too tense and leaning too much or a combination of both, since my wrists became sore 2 minutes into the ride. I didn't have any such issue on the Versys although Versys was a bit too tall (which has an advantage of more leg room) while I could almost flat foot the FZ (I am 5'9").

I would really be interested in hearing about the riding ergonomics. Especially if you have back pain issues or carpel tunnel, etc. If the FZ had a Versys like riding position, the bike would be in my garage by now!

I guess I'm a bit confused..... if you've been riding cruisers for 10 years, you've been riding street bikes.

What you seem to actually be coming to grips with, are the different ergonomics compared to the cruiser 'recliner' riding position.

That all comes down to the speed range you expect to operate the bike at..... where you need it to be most comfortable.

I'm 5'09", 32" inseam. I rode dirt bikes as a kid, and have ridden many, many different street bikes. Cruisers, Standards, Dual Sports, and a few rides on what would be considered super sport, or sport bikes.

Dirt bikes tend to have wide handlebars, and a flat seat that you can slide fore and aft on with ease. Foot pegs are located where it's natural to stand up on them. A lot like you were sitting on a kitchen chair. Quite vertical torso. Grips farther apart than your shoulders. Good for max leverage on the bars, and using your body mass to influence what the bike is doing, on the ground and in the air. Comfortable up to around 80 MPH.

Standards, they have a lot of similarity to the dirt bike formula, usually with bars that are a bit more narrow, and more forward cant to the torso. Most have a stepped seat anymore. Pegs are generally similar to the dirt formula; you can stand on the pegs to get your weight off the seat. The forward torso cant counteracts the wind pressure you feel, above about 50 MPH. The wind 'blows' your body to the vertical position, balancing that force.

Sportier bikes lean the torso farther and farther forward, to reduce drag, and lower the center of gravity of the rider. With the forward lean, the feet move farther aft on the bike. 'Rearset' pegs are common. With the placement aft, the pegs are also often elevated, to increase ground clearance. It's harder to stand on the pegs and get your arse off the seat.... the angles aren't as easy on the knees. (more weight on the front wheel helps with steering, but it's also tougher on the wrists and forearms.) If you think the FZ6 is painful..... try a YZFR6.

Cruisers go the opposite direction from Sport bikes. Low seat height brings on many compromises for ground clearance. Not enough room to put the pegs below the knee, without dragging them at unacceptably shallow lean angles.
Tilt the torso back, and the feet 'forward' into a recumbent position. Feels good on the show room floor, not so good when the wind is hitting you in the chest at 40-50 MPH. Your whole body acts like a sail, grabbing the wind.
(How many cruisers do you see, without a windscreen?)

The FZ6 is very nearly a 'Standard' riding position. the Versys, is probably one of the few bikes on the market to go even more 'neutral'.

If you like the zip of the FZ motor.... the Versys cannot be made to match it's performance. You can, however, change the bars on the FZ 6 to more closely match the Versys' ergonomics. Higher bars, with a bit more set back? You can buy blocks that bolt right to the handle bar mounts to do exactly that. Pegs too high? There are a number of folk who have figured out how to 'drop' the pegs a bit for comfort.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The more upright seating the V may be better if you are having wrists problems. No good owning a bike that hurts to ride. Both good bikes, but we know here Yamaha is better with quality :)

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I never found the seating position of the FZ bad for my wrists, except for the first month of riding (it was my first 'big' street bike). And I thing that was from me gripping hard from the bars. When you get used to the bike, your grip will relax and you'll support less weight with the hands.

The FZ never got me too tired, even in 4-5 hours continuous riding. I think both bikes are very good but my choice would be the FZ6.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy the bike you want. Not what a bunch of people online tell you what you should buy/what you want.

Bloody hell if I did that, Id be on a Zuk GS 500 FFS!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for your replies. Especially RJ2112's feedback is food for thought.

I was not happy to have to sell my FZ6..... after tuning up the suspension, it was very nearly my 'ideal' bike. There is plenty of motor, decent to good MPG, better than average comfort, and a very reasonable price point.

I would be happier to buy it brand new without the fairing. I'm not a fairing guy. Too much noise from the thing; it's possible to modify it and reduce the wind noise the rider experiences, but for the money I personally think it should't make that much. I know the non faired version (not offered in the US) would eliminate that. A small handle bar mounted windscreen (Deflector style) is more than enough for me.

As there is no longer an FZ6 in the line up that I would consider buying, I'll be looking towards the FZ8 when it comes to replacing my bike..... or a Triumph Street Triple R. That's about a year out for me now.

A used '6 that hasn't been thrashed will be right at the top of my list, if price is an object.