Calgary floods

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there are some folks on here from Calgary, I was out at a plant nearby and it is pretty bad there right now.

Hope ever one is ok.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there are some folks on here from Calgary, I was out at a plant nearby and it is pretty bad there right now.

Hope ever one is ok.
Yeah, no kidding! I just saw it on Yahoo...
I really hope no forum members are in danger, looks really bad. I had no idea this was happening. Post up if you need help!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From floods in Canada to fires Colorado.....what's next?
Cats & dogs living in harmony?

Seriously though, hope everyone is safe

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was doing work in a plant we rushed out and the plant shutdown, when they start shutting down gas plants ... It's bad.

100000 people evacuated so far, several other towns are completed wiped out. Not good times anywhere at this point.

Been notified that we are being mobilized out to Calgary to aid in the response, flood water is supposed to crest soon. So it hasn't even hit as a hard as it could yet.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The worlds weather has gone barmy, good luck to the people who are affected.

Neil:thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to hear that - was driving west across South Dakota a couple of weeks ago and met a fella from Calgary. He and a buddy had down to Tennessee and were headed home at the time. He was on a KLR and his friend was on a Bonneville. Not exactly two touring bikes you expect to see in the middle of nowhere in South Dakota. They said that the last 100 miles was the worst of the whole ride due to the crosswinds. Yes they did do the Tail of the Dragon and other roads in the area.

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
We're high and dry where we live, but I couldn't go into work on Friday, and it looks like I'll be getting at least a couple days off next week too. I work in the downtown core and our building lost power early Friday morning. We were able to shut all our servers down cleanly, but we haven't even got email working now.

I keep watching the areial shots from the news helicopters, but I can't tell if our building has any flooding. We're only a few blocks from the river, but I think most of the flooding in the core is east and south of us. Hopefully that means we'll get power back sooner rather than later.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Downtown Calgary is a very beautiful city, I recalled the river running right through it. The arena even got flood up to the 10th row, maybe a good excuse to build a new one.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From floods in Canada to fires Colorado.....what's next?
Cats & dogs living in harmony?

Seriously though, hope everyone is safe

My Sally & Truffle are besties :D There is hope LOL

But yeah.. As Lytehouse said , I hope EVERYONE is safe & the damage is minimal..

Sadly we have heard nothing of it over here :(

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally back in the office today. We didnt' get power on until yesterday afternoon. Enmax (electricity provider) wouldn't give the building the go-ahead to turn the power back on until a good portion of the parkade was drained out. Beyond that, the building was in good shape.

Most everyone I know has been very lucky. Even those who were evacuated within the city had little or no damage to their homes once they were able to return. The only exception is my husband's manager. She and her family live in High River, a small town south of Calgary. The entire town of 13,000 was put under a mandatory evacuation order last Thursday, and they have still not been allowed back in. The situation there is grim. There's no power, water, sewage or anything at all. They're actually using divers to search homes.

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was quite the ordeal, majority of downtown Calgary was closed off to everyone. The streets were nearly empty because the mayor requested everyone stay home to allow emergency workers quick access. The flooding was the highest it has ever been. A lot of people were displaced from their homes. Speaking from the vantage point of a Peace Officer, I have to say the city was as well prepared as anyone could have been and everyone dealt with it incredibly well. All the resources poured into this made sure that the people got out relatively unscathed and only "things" were damaged, fortunately.

Speaking of oddities, a train just derailed over a bridge in Calgary carrying flammable and explosive materials. A massive area around it has been completely evacuated and the roads blocked off for miles.

Everything all at once, shall we?! :Flip::eek:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was quite the ordeal, majority of downtown Calgary was closed off to everyone. The streets were nearly empty because the mayor requested everyone stay home to allow emergency workers quick access. The flooding was the highest it has ever been. A lot of people were displaced from their homes. Speaking from the vantage point of a Peace Officer, I have to say the city was as well prepared as anyone could have been and everyone dealt with it incredibly well. All the resources poured into this made sure that the people got out relatively unscathed and only "things" were damaged, fortunately.

Speaking of oddities, a train just derailed over a bridge in Calgary carrying flammable and explosive materials. A massive area around it has been completely evacuated and the roads blocked off for miles.

Everything all at once, shall we?! :Flip::eek:
On no! Man, you guys need a break!