Burning oil?

twowheels4life

Reaction score
Visit site
I laid down my fz6 last winter, didnt really hurt the bike other that messing up the plastics around the forks. My concern is when i have been letting it idle this year, its been burning oil. I can smell it and see the smoke when turn off the bike. Is this a major problem? Any advice?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You see it smoke when you turn it off. You sure you are burning oil or is it leaking on to something hot and burning?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So after riding and parking the bike you see smoke from the engine or exhaust outlet? An oil leak onto the hot exhaust will burn off quickly. Is there Blue smoke out the exhaust?

And if you start it, allow it to warm, turn it off and check the oil level per OEM owners manual, how much oil are you adding per tripe. per miles, per fuel up? We need a baseline quantity vs distance traveled. Something....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there Blue smoke out the exhaust?

That is the million dollor question we need an anwer from the op.

If it is, besides the above, check you exhaust pipe for any film. Some thin, dry black is fine (just exhaust). If, when checking the tail pipe, you find any oily residue, yes, your engine itself is likely burning oil(or possibly sucking from the air box). As noted above, any blue smoke COMING OUT THE MUFFLER, again its burning oil.

Several good ways to help determine. If on a cold start, BLUE smoke comes out, you likely have some bad valve seals (and possibly guides/valves). Oil sneaks past the seals, into the combustion chamber overnight. Moring start up, puff, blue smoke.

Also, riding the bike, and coming off the throttle after some high RPM's, if there's an issue will sometme pull oil past the rings and the engine will SMOKE BLUE on the de-cel.

If smoke is NOT coming from the exhaust pipe (tip), I would be looking real hard at the header for anything dripping down on it/dis-coloration. If you over oiled your clutch cable, that oil can run down, work its way around the engine unitl it hits the exhaust or ground. Have you checked the air box where possibly oil, from your tip over may have filled some and is either dripping or getting sucked into the throttle bodies?

Last edited:

twowheels4life

Reaction score
Visit site
There is no blue smoke, and it the smokes goes away pretty fast after shutting it off. There seems to be alot of black film on my exhaust pipes. I am going to clean the bike really well and post again. Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no blue smoke, and it the smokes goes away pretty fast after shutting it off. There seems to be alot of black film on my exhaust pipes. I am going to clean the bike really well and post again. Thanks

You may want to look real hard around the forward part of the engine valve cover /header. Its rare it leaks (un-less installed incorrectly, broken bolt, etc).

The exhaust, with what your describing, SHOULD have some brown staining from what ever's leaking.

Please post what you find.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How much oil is this engine loosing?

One suspect area would be the output shaft seal on the left side. Remove the chain cover and inspect it. You might grab a can of degreaser and just clean the whole engine. Then soap and water to get that off the engine.