bumper to bumper traffic issue

really I would'nt worry about the bike . I know for a fact that a stock FZ6 will damn near do freeway speeds in first gear with out to much trouble . just use first gear if the volume of you bike is you major concern just get a set of Earplugs and it will take care of that problem .

I wanted to say thanks for all the input from all of you. I have learnt a lot. Since I just bought a new FZ6R I have been kicking up into higher gears and riding low rpms, but not anymore. I am definitely going to stop being a sissy and start riding harder.A lot of you said 3-5rpm in 1st is no problem. I have been kicking it into 2nd at 12-20mph etc. Question- what is the smoothest shift points regarding speed and rpms for 1,2,3,4,5,and 6th. Obviously I see following the manual is not how its done.

I'm just interested to hear whether people tend to ride their rear brake while using the clutch in first and second for really low speed traffic? (Was taught this for slow speed maneuverying at my course)
My old bike had much more forgiving rear brakes, and they didn't grab nearly as strongly as the FZ6's so I was able to use them alot more easily for low speed control. Was also alot less power in first and second.

On the new bike I feel kind of like I might be doing damage in extremely slow traffic riding the clutch and brake so much. (I try not to overheat the rear brake but sometimes in really slow traffic its basically 1 or 2 metres every few seconds.

First gear also has a huge amount of power down low, so in slow traffic you need to brake alot harder to come to a stop (it feels like), while second gear is more sedate and seems to hold less momentum at slow speeds. Thats just how I feel at least.

actually the whole issue isn't that big of a deal if the low speed shifts arent that clunky. i dunno why but i dislike rev'ing 1st gear at a "constant" 3, 4 or 5k rpms in slow traffic.i should be clear, i dont have problems with clutch nor shifting control in slow traffic. i'm just wondering if there's another method. seems like there isnt.

I have your simple solution, "feather the clutch" When in stop and go traffic I will leave the bike in first gear, when I start off from a stop just take the revs up to the speed of traffic, then just pull in the clutch and coast behind everyone untill you slow down to a stop, or if traffic keeps moving just let the clutch back out and speed up again, then just pull the clutch back in and continue coasting, works great for me :thumbup:

I do the same thing as Nathanizer posted. If I'm in heavy traffic bumper to bumper I tend to pull in the clutch and cost. I try to avoid heavy traffic as much as possible but there are times when road construction makes that impossible.

Unusual thread this, when the Fazer 'll run to 69MPH in first gear.

Without wanting to sound patronising, it sounds like it's more of a confidence thing. Practice Practice Practice and get those revs up, it'll soon start to gel.

There's nothing getting away from the lights in first with the front end going light. :spank:

Back